Yahoo!: Mitchell Robinson not expected to play college basketball

Mitchell Robinson is not expected to play college basketball this upcoming season, according to a report from Pat Forde over at Yahoo! Sports.

The one-time Western Kentucky Hilltopper, if only for a moment, will instead focus his efforts on preparing for the 2018 NBA draft, per Forde’s sources.

Robinson had been considering Kansas and the University of New Orleans as potential options for college, but the sources say Robinson, a five-star center in the 2017 class, hasn’t maintained contact with the two schools and he will not play college basketball this fall. He would likely have to sit out the 2017-18 season due to transfer rules anyway.

Robinson was the No. 9 overall player and top-ranked center in last year’s high school class. He enrolled at WKU early in the summer, only to leave campus shortly after.

His recruitment and the couple of months since he signed with Western have been very bizarre, to say the least.

Article written by Drew Franklin

51 Comments for Yahoo!: Mitchell Robinson not expected to play college basketball

1. sprtphan
    10:01 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Why do we care?

• Ben27
      12:36 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

We should let him practice with our team, like we did Diallo! We get the practice benefit and a lot of press. No downside and we look better to players we are recruiting.

• EdC
      8:41 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

If Cal let him practice with UK would he have to hire the dad? This is a bullet best dodged.

2. Realme
    10:05 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Popeye’s. That is all.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Show thread?

• Realme
      10:08 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Yes, unless you want about Mitchell Robinson, for some reason.

4. Stuck on Blue
    10:08 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Is this the show thread today?

• Realme
      10:08 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, always go with the 10:00 post.

• KatsKlaws
      12:09 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Sorry, I’m a little behind..what was the reason given for the show thread being removed or was there a reason given?

5. Stuck on Blue
    10:08 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

We did say the 10 am post, so I guess this one is it.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Well the lunacy continues, did you see that ESPN has removed an announcer from the Sept 2nd U of Virginia football game, I guess in Charlottesville.
    The guy is named Robert Lee and they don’t want to offend.
    Ha ha ha the guy is Asian-American, and I’m pretty sure he never commanded the Army of Northern Virginia.

• Realme
      10:17 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Crazy. If he was named Robert E. Lee and he showed up for work in a Confederate uniform, that decision would make some sense.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:59 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

This was probably a cautious, but reasonable precaution on the part of ESPN. The Antifa fascists are known to be both prone to violence and not too bright, so several of them could have conceivably mistaken a forty-something Asian-American for a white Civil War general who died 140 years ago.

7. Realme
    10:28 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I’d like to see him Bowden as a returner, but he is predicted to be very Randall Cobb-like, so put him anywhere really.

8. J-Dub421
    10:28 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Not that I really care one way or another, but there has to be something weird/shady going on with the Mitchell Robinson situation.

• Realme
      10:30 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

But is it on his end, or is it Western men’s bball?

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Likely both. Players of that caliber don’t sign with Western in the first place. Then he left. Then Western tried to save face saying he was dismissed or something after the fact. Then supposedly he’s transferring, and now he’s not… My guess would be something related to grades. That is a total guess though.

• Realme
      10:36 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

They had a bad situation in the previous coach’s tenure that Matt and others referred to but never elaborated on. It never came out, but there was a scandal of some sort.

• Stuck on Blue
      10:39 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, kinda like Mudiay and SMU?

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

The prior Western scandal that parts of got out, had to do with a few (2-3) players on the basketball team who filmed themselves doing the dirty with some girl. That’s what I heard anyway. Don’t know if it’s true, but they did fire their coach…

Stuck on Blue, exactly. Once again, total guess on my part.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:05 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

If I was Robinson, instead of sitting out a year, I’d go make a half-mil internationally while getting plenty of playing time to prepare for the draft. Then after my NBA career tanks, I’d already have contacts over there.

• TBW3011
      1:46 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

A top 10 kid committed to WKU. Of course there is/was.

9. Realme
    10:29 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Pitino would not write a tell-all book. He’d write an all-lies book.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Truth is optional.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

There’s a whole genre for that. It’s called fantasy.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

So what is the verdict for the new mobile site design? I’m not crazy about the format of the home page. Everything is too skinny and forces you to scroll excessively. Also not crazy about having to scroll past a bunch of ads just to find the comments.

• Realme
      10:37 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I guess it makes more sense for small screens, but it’s not great. I’m frustrated enough by the fact they cut out the show thread that I’m visiting less anyways, so whatever.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Is the mobile site different from the app?

• Realme
      10:46 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I think it is more like the app now, instead of like the website.

• Realme
      10:46 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

*like the website when viewed on a computer.

• I solved the problem of the ads on iPad by downloading a blocker called Adguard. We’ll see how well it works, but so far so good. Woo-hoo!

Thing is, it only works with Safari. So now, if I want to comment, I have to type in my entire screen name, unlike the Chrome app where I type in “c” and it magically appears. Ha! That’s what I get for not just using something like Realme or J-Dub. 🙂

• I think I’m with RCF on the mobile site, but I don’t like change when it comes to the layout of my desktop, including web site design. Maybe I’ll get used to it.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:41 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Did you see that President Trump took a walk last night after his rally in Arizona and was bitten by a deadly viper?
    They brought in the best medical teams from all over the country, but
    alas, the snake died.
    Not

12. JoshEstep
    10:47 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

He’ll be playing in the G League next year battling to make a roster smh.

13. Realme
    10:52 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Cane’s sauce is too salty. A chicken finger restaurant should have a dozen choices of sauce.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:03 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Good point. What is a chicken finger but an edible spoon used for consuming sauce?

14. Realme
    10:55 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

So in Matt’s world: liking Ruby Tuesday means you have a sophisticated palate, and liking O’Charley’s means you’re classy. Okaaaaay.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:04 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Restaurants again? Man, football can’t get here soon enough.
    I wonder if Matt has ever eaten at the many roadside cafes across the South whose only signs just say,
    “EAT”.

• Realme
      11:06 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

ONE WEEK FROM SATURDAY, THOUGH!!!

16. Realme
    11:42 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Vargas was in front of Wiltjer? That doesn’t sound right.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I don’t remember; but the dome and lack of depth perception was the reason the Wall team lost.
      And it helped the Mountaineers; they had been a notoriously bad shooting team all year, and they hit threes twisting sideways and falling out of bounds.

• TBW3011
      1:49 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

And lack of being able to shoot on a regular basis in any gym.

• Realme
      11:53 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

That game is top 3 in Realme’s sadness games.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Kyle played 11 minutes per game, Eloy played 6 minutes per game. So Matt is wrong.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:55 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I like that Keldon Johnson story….take your shot and good things happen.
    And I hope Cal is using this week’s games and homecomings on the recruiting trail.