Will they stay or will they go? (Wednesday Show Thread)

AP Photo

Marcus Lee and Isaiah Briscoe have until midnight to decide if they’re staying in the NBA Draft or coming back to school. What will they do? Tune in to KSR to hear the latest, along with a lot of other random stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

58 Comments for Will they stay or will they go? (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:46 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Finally some good news for the UK hoops team? Sounds like a good hire.

Anymore Papa John’s stories?

2. I hope Lee & Briscoe stay, but good luck to both whatever they do.

The guys should talk about this sometime this week since UK’s alternate football unis, and the new logos, have been the subject of controversy for some:

“RECRUITS DISH ON COLLEGE FOOTBALL UNIFORMS: DOES YOUR TEAM RANK HIGH … OR LOW?”

3. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I have the same bad feeling about Briscoe and Lee that I had about Bolden. Hope I’m wrong – we need some positive news to lead us into the summer.

• ukjaybrat
      10:20 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

yeah between the last basketball loss, softball, baseball, all the uk hoops drama, and most recently bolden, i am getting super bummed out about uk sports and really need some good news

• CATandMONKEY
      10:37 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I don’t have a completely bad feeling about both…for some reason I feel better about a Briscoe return and if given the option, feel that if only one returns, Briscoe will provide more of what this team needs to be successful.

Would love to have both back though. Both guys can bring an energy and effort that can mask the deficiencies of either player .

Some good news would indeed be welcome!

• RealCatsFan
      11:45 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Add to that the fact that UNC is getting off scot-free, and it rubs salt in the wounds.

4. Realme
    10:14 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

It kind of makes me sad how badly these 2 want to leave, when we could really use them. But fans are so critical of them, I don’t blame them for feeling that way.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:20 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I don’t hear much in the way of being critical towards them as much as just stating facts. I thought Skal received alot of undue criticism but Briscoe really did shoot poorly and Lee really does foul too much and has little offensive game.

• Kernel Sanders
      10:21 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

You are looking at it the wrong way. They aren’t wanting to leave because they haven’t enjoyed their UK experience. they are wanting to leave because ever since they could walk upright they have dreamed of making it to the NBA. (and of course they dream of being millionaires). Geez, it really has nothing to do with fans being critical. In Lee’s case, he probably is very close to having a degree under his belt. I mean, he’s been here 3+ years already and you think he’s dying to leave? Contrast that with the Malik Newman story below….there your opinion would have merit.

• Realme
      10:33 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

They didn’t wait until the last day to decide because they think they might be first round draft picks. Briscoe didn’t get invited to the combine and Lee was named the worst performer. If you guys think they haven’t felt the extreme and constant criticism from a portion of the fan base, and thought long and hard about returning to this pressure, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it.

• Kernel Sanders
      10:45 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

They waited until the last day to decide because the deadline is today. Kinda like I don’t renew my driver’s license 6 months BEFORE it expires. LOL, my opinion is simply that they thought long and hard about whether they have a legit shot at making millions starting next season in the NBA or whether coming back would better prepare them to get a legit shot next year. Or if they would need to go to Europe or elsewhere or the D league. Your opinion is sorta goofy. And that’s my opinion of your opinion.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Newman is a classic example of what is wrong with HS / College recruiting. He had so many “handlers” in his ear through the years that he thought no matter what he did he was going to the NBA.

• ukjaybrat
      10:24 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

and instead, he’s stuck in starkville for another year … jay bilas pretty much summed it up best, if you aren’t going to Kentucky (or duke) then you are costing yourself money

• I wonder if he regrets not coming to UK. It would be interesting to ask that if you could inject some truth serum into him.

• Kyblueblood
      10:33 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

@ukjaybrat Jay Bilas just likes to stir controversy.. probably the most narrow minded thought ever. Mainly because we know hes a dukie and his nephew goes to UK, take that with a grain of salt

• Unfortunately for us, a lot of the reasons Newman should not have gone to Miss. St. are also why a Damien Harris goes to Bama and not UK.

• Kyblueblood
      10:36 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Top 5 schools with most draft picks since 2005: UK, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, Duke…so yeah..

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

CG, but the annoying thing is that Harris makes the “right” choice, but kids like Zimmerman, Brown, and Newman make the “wrong” choice. Still, looks like we dodged a bullet again, so it’s all good.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I was in Panama City last fall with the wife and kids. Pineapple Willy’s was the very first place that we ate, basically because we walked down to the beach as soon as we got to the hotel, we were starving, and they were right there on the beach. Food was fine, atmosphere was good, but the main thing I remember was nearly getting into a fight with some drunk dumbass on the way home. We were standing at a cross walk, and a car drove by VERY close to us and someone yelled something out the window. I turned to look, and the car stops and this dumbass starts to get out of the passenger side like he thought I was challenging him or something. And here I am standing here with my wife and kids!! Luckily, his buddy grabbed him and pulled him back into the car. Made me start to think that I need to employ my concealed carry permit even on the beach!

• Kyblueblood
      10:31 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

You went to Panama City for vacation, that was your first mistake

• I carry almost everywhere.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Kyblueblood, first time for us – we usually go to Destin. It was a bit of a “redneck Riviera” down there. To make matters worse, it was Bike Week. Don’t get me wrong – I’m a gear head, and I like anything that moves and rumbles, but by the middle of the week, it became downright annoying.

• RCF, next time you’re in Destin, eat at Stewby’s Seafood Shanty in Ft. Walton. It’s in town, not on the shore. Everyone wants to eat on the beach, and I do to with the views and all, but Stewbies is reasonably priced with great fresh seafood (no tipping which saves money). It’s kind of like some of the places you see on Triple D that are little holes in the wall but with great food.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:45 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Didn’t you see the sign that said “Panama City is not responsible for drunk dumbasses”?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:46 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Will disagree blueblood…timing and location are crucial. Panama City CAN be a great vacation, even for semi-discerning travelers if you want to spend a few bucks and know your way around the area. Proximity is a plus. Fall break is an embarrassment of UK fans…Take that at both ends of the spectrum…

It can be a blast to suffer a UK football loss to Alabama in a beach bar with 40 other UK fans.
      Not Fiji but it doesn’t have to be the Redneck Rivierra if you choose otherwise.

• Too not to…grrr!!!

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:48 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I was recently in Tampa, and the seafood prices are a lot higher than then used to be. What was a forty dollar light lunch at a not-the-nicest place on the beach is now eighty bucks! Dang. Do folks down there now keep their beach bodies just by not being able to afford to eat?

• Kyblueblood
      11:09 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

cat and monkey you are talking to the wrong person..never said any of that, have been there twice so do not need to read about the amenities of the armpit of america

@RCF yeah i have been down there during bike week..also black biker week in myrtle beach…you need to experience that

• catdaddyd
      12:07 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Is that where all the bikes have to be black?

7. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Seems like the “other” Michael Porter also exhibited bad judgement.

8. J-Dub421
    10:43 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Boeheim and Izzo have underachieved. They have both been at their respective schools forever and only have one title each.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:50 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Preach!

Talking heads do not like to be confronted with facts.

Izzo CAN be a really great coach and I kinda like him…most of the time but he gets a lot of praise for less than stellar results.

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong, I like Izzo and have a lot of respect for him. This was mostly a commentary on the ridiculousness of saying Cal/UK have underachieved when we went to 4 final fours in 5 years, with a title and a runner up. Everyone should be so lucky to underachieve like that.

Boeheim has been at Syracuse for almost 40 years and only has 1 title. I think he’s only been to about 3 other final fours as well, even though he gets a fair amount of talent every year. Yet no one ever says Boeheim has underachieved.

• onsides
      11:05 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Entering his 40th year at Syracuse, Boeheim has one title and has been to five final fours. Through seven seasons at UK, Calipari has one title and four final fours (6 final fours including Memphis and UMASS.). Oh Cal, you underachiever!

• Kyblueblood
      11:10 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

You all realize Borzello was talking about RECRUITING relative to TOURNAMENT OUTCOMES. You guys are flipping the switch to skew results in Uks favor and point fingers. Stop it.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:14 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

This type of critique truly is a ” 1%” kind of problem. Unfortunately it is a hazard of being the “Yankees of college basketball.” ( as a Bosox fan since 1973, it pains me to acknowledge the Bronx dynasty. )

Any story, positive or negative will bring clicks to whomever invokes the name of UK or Calipari.

• ukjaybrat
      11:16 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

but that’s the thing, we have recruited well AND have achieved great success… just because we do well in recruiting doesn’t mean we should win the tournament every single year. We are winning recruiting and going to final fours more than 50% of the time. in my opinion, that is not underachieving. the only 2 schools that can possibly say they have more success is duke and uconn and that’s ONLY because they have 2 championships in the same time frame. UK has outperformed every school in every other measurable statistic. yet we underachieved? it doesn’t matter how good our recruiting rankings were, we HAVE achieved success. his statements were just plain ludicrous no matter what context you put them in.

• onsides
      11:17 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Kinda like how Borzello flipped the switch to not include the 2012 title? He can think the regular season is more important than the postseason. That philosophy is working splendidly for the warriors in the nba. Haha

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

And Boeheim gets a fair amount of 5-star recruits. So why no criticism?

9. Realme
    11:14 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I’m pretty sure Bobby is one of the regular commenters on this thread. Is equally coherent.

• Realme
      11:22 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Every time CP comments from now on, I am going to hear Bobby’s voice in my head. That will make his visits even more fun.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Bobby could barely form sentences, the thought that he was a teacher is disturbing.

• ukjaybrat
      11:26 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

had to rub the lamp did’t you?

• Realme
      11:29 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

For the record I really enjoyed Bobby’s call, I’m not making fun of him. I’m sure he’s perfectly coherent when he calms down. Jay, I figured why not, I’ve already been called stupid by another stranger today, at least CP can make me laugh.

• ukjaybrat
      11:35 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

That’s actually one of my favorite parts when some random stranger that doesn’t know anything about me calls me stupid based on nothing other than one or two comments (s)he doesn’t agree with. it’s pretty satisfying when something i say irritates them so much that they have to result to potty humor and childish remarks to “put me down”

• Realme
      11:41 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

It is one of those special features of this experience. 🙂

10. secrick
    11:27 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Not to mention the number of times Syracuse has been on probation under Boehiem, i would say he has really under achieved considering all the cheating along with N.C. and the Cards.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

…and he picks his nose on national TV. 😀

11. Realme
    11:32 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Ugh, I hope Marcus and Isaiah don’t make us wait all day to let us know their decisions.

• ukjaybrat
      11:38 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

i kinda think marcus is coming back and briscoe is really still undecided… bc marcus would be a pretty big dbag if he was making us wait all day just to give us bad news. (or maybe he doesn’t realize that).

if they were going to stay in the draft (and they knew it), you think they would just come out and say it. pull the band-aid off and get it over with.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Leach said on his radio show that Marcus is going to make his announcement through UK – which gives me hope that he is coming back. Now he could also be planning to announce that he is transferring to a west coast school. At this point that is a bigger worry for me than him staying in the draft.

• Realme
      11:45 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I just want to know. We’re either going to be super talented, with enough experience and depth, or we’re going to be super talented and have to hope there are some AD and MKG special players in the new group to make up for being thin.

12. CATandMONKEY
    11:48 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Briscoe!

• J-Dub421
      11:51 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Woooooo!!!!!! I was worried about only having 3 guards next year. We need Briscoe’s experience and toughness. Monk and Fox are both pretty skinny.

• ukjaybrat
      12:04 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

that is excellent news. between bolden, briscoe, and lee, if i could only pick one. it would be briscoe. so my day just got better. now hopefully Lee returns as well to make it an even better day

13. RealCatsFan
    11:49 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

YES! Getting Briscoe back will be huge for next year.

14. J-Dub421
    11:57 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Pitino tried to screw over one of his players? I’m shocked! Oh wait, no I’m not, that’s his MO.