Why does Mother Nature hate the Derby?

(Getty Images/Sean M. Haffey)

(Getty Images/Sean M. Haffey)

The forecast does not look good for this weekend’s Kentucky Derby, as is tradition. A quick glance at the forecast shows a 100 percent chance of rain for the day of the 145th Run For The Roses at Churchill Downs. Oaks Day, you’ll want to pack a poncho, too.

From our friends at Weather.com:

If Louisville gets a downpour as predicted, it will mark the third straight year Mother Nature rained down on the biggest day in the Bluegrass. In 2017, Always Dreaming kicked through the mud to win it. Last year, a sloppy track raised some minor concerns about Justify, the favorite, but even the rain couldn’t slow him down.

It looks like we’re in for another mudslide in 2019.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Why does Mother Nature hate the Derby?

1. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

I have no idea why the Derby always gets pissed on by Mother Nature. A lot of it has to do with the fact that spring is typically rainy in the Ohio Valley. I have said for years that they should move it back to June, but of course that will never happen. I have sworn to the Almighty that if it ever snows again like it did in 1989, my ass is moving south!

• makeitstop
      10:54 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

That was MISERABLE! My wife was from Georgia and it was her first year in Kentucky and I thought this is the end lol. Not a lot of derby outfits go w mittens. Couple of years later it rained at the end of the day like a cow peeing on a flat rock and we had to get trash bags from the kitchen in the Turf Club to make a run for it… unsuccessfully. I said “one day this will seem funny…” I was right, but it took awhile. My advice: Just keep drinking Mint Juleps.

2. Because his faddah was a muddah!

• “Oh, this baby loves the slob, loves it, eats it up. Eats the slop. Born in the slop. His father was a mudda’.”

“His father was a mudda’?”

“His mother was a mudda’.”

“His mother was a mudda’?”

“What did I just say?”

3. Kendrick
    10:39 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

Because it’s dumb

4. kykid16
    10:53 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

Because it’s in Looserville

• makeitstop
      10:57 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

Maybe if they did an exorcism after Rick, Bobby and Tom left God would cut them some slack. Otherwise move it to Keeneland in God’s country. Prettier anyway.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

It has been pissing and pouring on the Derby long before Turtleneck, Bobby NeckBrace, and Ricky ThreeStacks were in town.

5. BobKYCats
    11:03 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

God laughs when we make outdoor plans.

6. CatfaninCinci
    11:20 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

Rank ‘who does the Hatred’ better?

A) Rick Pitino… Southern District of New York.
    B) Mother Nature… The Derby.
    C) Bryan the Intern… writing good articles.
    D) Pat Forde… Anything UK.
    E) BigOlSlaterMedic… Calipari.
    F) State of Kentucky… Gambling.

Go!

• makeitstop
      11:28 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

A, E, D, F, B – rationale, sometimes the Derby is beautiful and then it’s awesome; a lot of people in KY like gambling, and horse racing is gambling, people love that so it’s not universal, 100% hate. Pitino is nuts about the SDNY, Pat Forde occasionally writes something that isn’t drilling w venom about us, but none come immediately to mind, maybe covering our championships, grudgingly. Slater in between those… never has a good word.

• CatfaninCinci
      11:32 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

State of KY was supposed to refer the State house and their refusal to pass legal gambling… But I digress, I poorly worded it.

• RealCatsFan
      12:34 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, every once in a while we get lucky and get a sunny day on Derby, but I cannot honestly remember the last time there was NO threat of rain on Derby. And you can guarantee that the following Sunday is always gorgeous.

• Nugget01
      2:56 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

No. I don’t want to rank your list.

7. J-Dub421
    11:25 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

It’s Kentucky. It rains a lot here pretty much year round. Kentucky ranks 11th of all states in the US for most rainfall.

• RealCatsFan
      12:32 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Yep – Louisville has about as many cloudy, rainy days as Seattle!

8. 2Dogs
    11:35 am May 1, 2019 Permalink

Louisville is a high area of precipitation. Sometimes it squirts to the ceiling up there.

• RealCatsFan
      12:32 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Winner!

9. CopenhagenCat
    10:20 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Told my friends it rains every derby. I agree they ought to move it to June.

10. michaelb
    10:59 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

It seemingly always storms on the derby , it’s kinda funny Bc you can almost count on it.