Why did Wandale Robinson choose Kentucky?

@Robinson_Era

@Robinson_Era

Shortly after Wandale Robinson committed to Kentucky, he told reporters why decided to stay home.  There were a lot of factors that went into his decision before he picked UK.

Explosive Offense

Wandale could a big role in Kentucky’s offense next season. Unprompted, he told reporters he’s excited to play with Lynn Bowden and Terry Wilson.

“They’re obviously using Lynn in a very good way,” Said Robinson.  “I feel like being on the other side of that will cause problems for defenses. It will be a really good combo with us two and having Terry throwing the ball, and he can run the ball too.”

When did he know?

Recruiting analysts flipped their picks frequently in the final days of Robinson’s recruitment.  He admitted that it came down to the wire.

“It actually was really not that long (ago).  I was kind of up in the air the last couple of days.  Really I just sat to myself and thought about everything and where I wanted to be.  Obviously, it was Kentucky.”

He didn’t tell Kentucky’s coaches ahead of time.  You can tell by their reaction.

More to Come?

As the biggest star in Kentucky’s recruiting class, he plans on reaching out to a few talented uncommitted players that could become Wildcats.

“I’ll try to reach out to a couple of them.  I know a lot of them and we already talk on a regular basis.”

His first opportunity is Saturday.  He will be at Kroger Field when Kentucky hosts a slow of high-profile recruits for the Georgia game.

2018 Success

When Mark Stoops first arrived in Lexington, his initial recruiting pitch was a simple question: Why not Kentucky? Which seemed like an understandable reach for optimism, considering the Cats were in the cellar of the SEC East and on the heels of a two-win season when Stoops came to Lexington. Now, with the success of the season, it seems like the question being asked is why anywhere else but Kentucky?

“They’re ranked No. 9 in the country.  That kind of speaks for itself. They’re a program that’s trending upward and that’s something I want to be a part of.”

4 for 40

Kentucky’s program is heading in the right direction.  While what’s happening on the field is important, he also focused on what Kentucky can do for him once football is over.

“Seeing the progress they’ve made and knowing there’s a really big impact outside of football that you can make just from going and playing at Kentucky.  It’s kind of like the 4 for 40 thing.  If you go in and do what your’e supposed to, after football you’re not going to have to want for anything if you were to stay in Kentucky and live your life here.”

That part of the pitch came from someone he’s known for a long time, Freddie Maggard.  Even though Freddie is not a recruiter, Robinson liked what he heard every time he visited Kentucky’s campus.

Freddie was actually the first person that ever told me I would play SEC football.  We always had that relationship ever since the beginning of my sophomore year when he came to speak to our team,” Robinson said.  “After talking with him whenever he got hired at UK, that was really a big thing with him helping us in any way possible outside of football.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Brent Wainscott

Twitter: @BrentWainscott_

19 Comments for Why did Wandale Robinson choose Kentucky?

1. Debruyne
    5:17 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Dad getting a job on staff could’ve helped…

• KYcats11
      5:29 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Sources?

• N-UR-i
      6:15 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Nothing like an internet dumbass making random shit up.

• Debruyne
      7:55 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

His dad was hired as a strength and conditioning coach. So that would make you the internet dumbass

• truebluefootballfan
      9:14 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Well it is more resourceful and beneficial to his family than hiring strippers or paying him under the table…

• Debruyne
      11:12 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with it lol the article says Why did he pick UK? I was just saying I’m sure that was a big factor in his decision

2. J. Did
    5:18 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

AWESOME!!!!!

3. DelrayCat
    5:25 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Is Wandale related to Roni Robinson? He was a heck of an athlete back in the day in the ‘Fort.

4. Shidler8684
    6:07 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

What is 4 for 40?

• runningunnin.454
      6:20 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

I think he means 4 years at UK, along with the academics, would set him up for the next 40 years…in other words for life.

5. Alleykat16
    6:34 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Its a program that Freddie is head of. It’s to help players after the playing career is over. Help them invest their money for to direct them in furthering their education for life after the game.

6. Alleykat16
    6:37 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

But anyways I’m very excited that he will be playing here. I was worried that he was going somewhere else. It’s great now hope he can get a few more of these KENTUCKY homegrown fellas to follow him here in

7. ukcats1776.90
    7:16 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

matt Jones is an arrogant liberal “lawyer” (guy who wasted daddy’s money to avoid life until deciding he didnt want to do anything a law degree) who has no respect for his listeners or viewers. half the calls he takes are dripping with condensention and disrespect to the callers. how anybody who isn’t a flaming, cross dressing liberal would ever spend a dime at his restaurant is beyond me. bdubs is right next door and their owner doenst openly hate the way most kentuckians think

• whodeynation
      9:37 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Damn bruh, U mad ?

• uk27ncaa
      9:49 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

If u hate him so much why are u on his website and listen to his radio show?

• FlySoup
      10:35 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m not a huge fan of matt but I do find the radio show and website entertaining, but he has said many times that he got full rides for his education. You can’t argue that dude has worked hard to get where he is, even if he does sound condescending and disrespectful to just about everybody.

• satcheluk
      9:44 am November 2, 2018 Permalink

Time to take your Midol.

8. Brutal Hustler
    7:28 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

Big shout out and thank you to Freddie Maggard. I was selfishly upset when he left KSR, but it seems like his current role is one he was handcrafted to do. Stoops talks all the time how when you come to Kentucky, you’re joining a family, and having Uncle Freddie working with the kids is a perfect example of how true that is. It’s kinda apples to oranges, but I feel like Freddie could end up being the Bill Keightley of the football team