The Herald Leader sits at the gateway to downtown and creates a tremendous opportunity for the city to have an impactful and iconic City Hall while saving millions of dollars over the current situation.
Current LFUCG Office Facts and Figures
- Occupies 5 different buildings
- Spends $2.5 million- $4.5 million annually just maintaining current buildings
- Buildings are inefficient in design and usability for city business
[Mayor Gray said when addressing the council on July 3rd, “This building, these facilities are hemorrhaging the public, tax payer’s money. It is a terrible waste.”]
SOLUTION FOR CITY HALL
CRM Companies, Lexington, KY based developer, was the clear winner selected over three other proposals by a committee of city employees. CRM has a wealth of experience in this sector, including ongoing maintenance of the building.
CRM Companies Proposal – Herald Leader Building
- Consolidates all city buildings into one location
- Saves city $39MM over the next 20 years
- Eliminates deferred maintenance and allows the city to sale current properties
- Fixed Lease Payment for 35 years including maintenance
- No surprises for the city or taxpayers
- Complete remodel allows for modern and efficient office space planning
- City gets ownership of building and land at the end of 35 years at no charge
The next step in the process is a public hearing on August 14th, 2018 at which time the City Council will seek any public input before moving forward on the city hall project.