Who will Calipari add to the 2018 class? (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang discusses last night’s news that PJ Washington played with a broken pinky all season, tonight’s McDonald’s All-American Game, and which players John Calipari may add to the 2018 class. Also, hot dogs.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

78 Comments for Who will Calipari add to the 2018 class? (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. JerryDamage
    10:08 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

FIRST!!!

• cats646
      10:11 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

If you ain’t first, your last.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Shake and bake, baby!

2. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Should have known that someone from KSR was behinf the Sister Jean twitter account!

• Realme
      10:40 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

I am SO impressed that was Shannon and they didn’t let on.

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Man, I wish I didn’t know that. It was pretty cool to think that someone associated with Loyola Chicago was behind it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Howie Lindsey was on 790 the other day talking about how funny and witty the account was. Little did he know… 🙂

3. runningunnin.454
    10:17 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Haven’t been able to listen for a couple of days; so, I’m all ready to hear about Matt’s political aspirations. Time for a movie remake,
    “Mr. Jones Goes To Washington”.
    Alas, James Stewart is not available.

4. Chacosrule
    10:17 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Vanderbilt was not 100% and Cal said he couldn’t play. Pj played with a broken hand.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Broken foot / sprained ankle will affect your game a LOT more than a broken pinky finger.

• JerryDamage
      10:49 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Also for a guy who’s injury prone I think you’d be more cautious with him than with others.

• BonnieTayshaunBilly
      12:23 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Kansas State star Dean Wade played with a fractured foot. Vanderbilt either has some structural integrity issues or some Dwight Howard integrity issues, or a little of both. Don’t forget the tweet of him dribbling and working out (over Xmas break, I think) and Cal telling reporters he just has no idea when Vanderbilt will come back. Cal seemed to express some frustration with Vanderbilt and his hesitancy to play.

• J-Dub421
      12:32 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Let’s see how well that situation turns out for Dean Wade in a few years. He likely messed hit foot up further, and I bet it will cause him issues in the future.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:34 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Heard WKU’s Justin Johnson interview on ESPN last night. They asked him what it would be like to win the NIT. He answered “Great, you hang a banner, that’s something they can’t take away from you”.
    Ha ha, guess Justin doesn’t read the sports page.
    Too bad they lost to Utah.

6. King Kelly Coleman
    10:42 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Open face sandwich?

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Yep, and take a single slice of bread; put peanut butter and jelly on it, and fold it over. That’s still a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

If most people knew what actually goes into a hot dog they would never eat one. As the saying goes, “everything but the oink”. 😉

• Everything but the squeal.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

That’s for Bratwurst, cg. 😀

7. AllBlueAllDay
    10:46 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

I missed most of the first segment, so I’d greatly appreciate it someone helped catch me up. What was the scoop that Ryan said?

• JerryDamage
      10:51 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Back in January he said that he thought PJ broke his finger. Matt mocked him pretty hard for it. Turns out, Ryan was right and PJ did have a broken finger.

8. 9 comments. Time to start sharing recipes J-Dub.

STK being behind the twitter account is HIIIIIII-larious! I’m not a huge Twitter guy, so I didn’t follow it. I hope STD archived it somehow to post here.

Random question: why does Matt sometimes give out the Tweet of the day award when there are 90 minutes or more left? He might get a better one?

Was busy yesterday so couldn’t listen or comment. I’m off today and about to run errands, and over the next couple days we’ll be in the ATL for my daughter’s big church youth function. Keep it real Show Threaders!

RCF, this is the weekend where we sometimes see about 50,000 high school volleyballers. See you there one day! I don’t know if we cross paths with them this year or not.

• Well, 9 when I started typing.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Sorry, I got stuck setting up a new workstation at work. Got to take a break and jump on KSR for a bit while updates are downloading.

• I meant STD, not STK.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

cg, wish we were going down there. Maybe next year when the younger one is doing travel ball. We are just playing in a local tournament on Saturday. We will be short several players due to spring break, which means she will have to hit on front row – all 5-foot-1 of her. Small but mighty!

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Last big tournament I was at we saw UK’s Coach Skinner out there – kind of cool. Also saw some coaches for the big dogs like Penn St, Nebraska, etc. For the final four, there were at least 5 players who used to play for the club that my younger daughter plays for.

9. Realme
    10:47 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Doctor’s offices that have signs that tell you to turn off your cell phones: dumbest things ever?

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Could you imagine being at the doctor’s office getting some type of invasive, embarrassing exam and the KSR app notification with Ryan’s creepy laugh goes off? 😀

• Realme
      10:57 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha, nope. Might just leave at a dead run.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

If Drake goes to dook’s midnight madness, then he cements his status as the ultimate bandwagon fan.

• Realme
      10:55 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Yes. Dead to us if he goes to Duke.

• ClutchCargo
      10:56 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Pretty sure he would jump on whatever bandwagon would gain him the most free publicity.

• Realme
      10:59 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think he’s a true UK fan, but I do believe his relationship with Cal is genuine. That should keep him from going there.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

HaHa, if he went to dook wearing a UK shirt just to troll them, that would be awesome!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:48 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully Cal is in his ear saying, “okay man, let me tell you…BBN will disown you if you do this…”

I will. You will no longer be a part of BBN in my mind.

• Mathlete
      2:42 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Drake would leave humming the melody to the most recent High School Musical song

11. JerryDamage
    10:52 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

A hot dog is a sandwich. Bread, Check. Something in the middle, Check. Other slice of bread, check. If it acts like a sandwich and sounds like a sandwich….it’s a sandwich.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

This is probably true. The fact that the two pieces of bread are connected on one side throws a lot of people off.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Disagree, hotdogs, bratwursts, etc. are their own category. Burgers are their own category. Sandwiches are their own category.

11:48 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Disagree J-Dub. A hot dog and a burger are just specific types of sandwiches like a grinder, poboy, torta, or a sub.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Again, name a sandwich place that serves burgers or hotdogs.

11:59 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Every poboy sandwhich shop in the entire state of Louisiana, MS, and Al. Jason’s Deli. McAlisters.

12. Wade
    10:57 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

If skj transfers bring E.J. in .and if we don’t get him and have room for 1 more why not go after Zion .bc he hasn’t signed not til April. They would all need each other at uk, at Duke it will be rj and cam and expecting to sit back and watch Zion take on double teams in the post. Good luck with that and I think duke blows it this yr bc they won’t share like us, that’s not taught at Duke. Just take a look at there brotherhood of guys I’ll give you a while to tell me about it. Bc it ain’t there. Zone and just standing around waiting on the nba which they won’t be trained for. Best player from Duke is kyrie and I never see him with dookies.

• rabblerabblerabble
      11:30 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Oh, Wade. Took me about 5 seconds to find these. Enjoy 40 pictures of Kyrie at K Academy in the past few years at this link:

• J-Dub421
      11:36 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Oh look, the Duke troll who sweats UK and is on this site ALL. THE. TIME . decided to show up.

11:43 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Maybe it’s less about Kyrie hanging out with Duke and more about Duke not promoting Kyrie’s involvement because of his ridiculous flat earth theories. It helps avoid the correlation of the only thing Dukies learn in the first year of school as a basketball player is the most retarded conspiracy theory in modern times.

• rabblerabblerabble
      1:00 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Haha, why you so mad J-Dub? As a Duke alum who’s a sports fan living in Lexington, am I not allowed to frequent KSR?

And I resent the implication that I’m a troll. C’mon, just because I don’t root for your team doesn’t make me a troll. Also, if people stopped spreading #fakenews about dUKe on here, I wouldn’t have to correct them.

Bless your heart.

• rabblerabblerabble
      1:11 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

I can’t tell if you people are serious or not. Look up the tweets from @DukeMBB (dUKe basketball’s official Twitter account) “promoting Kyrie;s involvement.” Literally hundreds of them. Including more than a dozen in the last year. Most recently on March 13, March 6, Jan. 21, Jan. 11, Dec. 25, Dec. 2, Nov. 6, Sept. 17, June 9, May 23, May 7, May 3, May 1, April 17. ukgags86 is like #fakenews CNN!

• J-Dub421
      1:33 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

I don’t follow anything Duke related because I’m not a Duke fan. I certainly don’t go to Duke fan sites to try to start sh*t with Duke fans. That’s what trolls do. So, yes, you’re a troll. Now run along back to your Duke sites little troll.

1:38 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

@rabblerabblerabble…I was just offering a theory to Wade’s comment. There is not such thing as fake news when offering an opinion and anyone with reading comprehension can tell I was offering a hypothetical to someone else’s argument.

But since you accurately pointed out that Kyrie’s NBA persona is frequently promoted by Duke, the rest of country can indeed now make the correlation that the only thing you learn by being a 5star one in done at Duke is that the earth is flat and how to play zone. Thanks for helping me make my argument about how the best / most famous player to come out of duke in the last 30 years is an actual idiot. A very talented rich one but an idiot none the less.

• rabblerabblerabble
      2:05 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Woah, woah, woah. What “sh*t” am I trying to start? Wade thinks Kyrie never hangs with “dookies,” so I let him know that Kyrie does indeed hang with “dookies.” ukgags86 makes some odd theory about dUKe “not promoting Kyrie’s involvement,” so I let him/her know that the official Duke men’s basketball Twitter account literally tweets about him ALL. THE. TIME.

I come to KSR because I want to know what’s going on with UK sports. I have a graduate degree from UK and enjoy supporting the football team, women’s hoops (go to a game every couple of years), baseball, soccer, and literally every sport other than men’s basketball. If UK basketball was a mediocre program, I’d probably support them too. But it’s hard to be a Duke undergrad and want UK basketball to win national titles. I think the converse is also true – so many UK fans don’t want to see Duke win because of the “rivalry,” such as it may be. Laettner too, I guess, but that was a long time ago. UK has won three titles since then, and Duke has won their fair share as well.

I’d grab a beer with you folks sometime, but you probably think I’m an idiot who thinks the earth is flat.

• 4everUKblue
      2:51 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

We just think you’re an idiot for coming on a BBN site stirring up $h!t no matter what you believe about anything. Oh and a troll.

• rabblerabblerabble
      3:13 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Hahaha. I guess I’ll never understand the mentality of the #BBN – must be my peabrain. When someone says something that is demonstrably false, how is it “stirring up $h!t” to tell them they’re mistaken?

I’ll hang up and listen, which I’m sure is great news to many of you.

5:20 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

you should have jumped into the “is a hotdog a sandwich” debate first rabbler. Spirited debate where affiliation isn’t held against you. Who am I kidding. You may have united BBN to take an opposite opinion just so we didn’t appear to agree with a Dukie. I bet we would all agree on UNCs paper classes though. lol

13. HackRichards
    11:12 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

We should sign the BEST player available from the state of Kentucky each year.

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

I think we should sign the BEST player available from whichever state each year. What if that Kentucky player isn’t really good enough to get playing time and contribute at UK, and he would be better off going to WKU or somewhere to fully realize his potential?

• JerryDamage
      11:22 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

I’m with CC. It’s better to get the best players you can. What if the best KY player is a Point Guard and we have 5 guards on the roster already? We really don’t need that kid at that point. Say we needed another big guy, it’s best to go after them. If we’ve got a KY kid who can play her, like Willis and Hawkins, then yes, bring them in. But if it’s a down year and we don’t have good options, then go elsewhere.

14. J-Dub421
    11:25 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Mora did Rosen a favor. The Browns are where QB’s careers go to die.

15. ukgags86
    11:36 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

It should not even be a debate. A hot dog in a bun is a sandwich and a taco is not. Definition of bread is food made of flour, water, and yeast or another leavening agent, mixed together and baked. Tortillas do not contain a leavening agent. You can not have a sandwich without bread, no yeast in a tortilla means its not bread, therefore a taco can’t be a sandwich or vice versa. Apples and orange. The super liberal SCOTUS judge was correct. A hot dog in a bun is a sandwich.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Why doesn’t Subway serve hotdogs then? Or Jimmy John’s, or Jersey Mike’s, or Penn Station, or Panera, or Which Wich, or Pot Belly, or Fire House, or Jason’s Deli? I can’t think of a single sandwich place that serves hotdogs.

11:54 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

Well it sure as heck isn’t a taco. But my answer would be that all of the places just listed choose to slice their processed meat products versus serve them in individual meat tubes. lol FYI…Jason’s Deli has hotdogs on their kids menu much like their competitor McAllisters Deli. That’s two sandwich places one of which you listed.

11:57 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

And several of those places you listed specialized in Submarine Sandwiches. Burgers and Dogs are different types of sandwiches from sub sandwiches.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am March 28, 2018 Permalink

I still posit that that hotdogs and burgers are their own categories. They are sandwich adjacent. Restaurants serve a lot of things to kids that aren’t on their adult menus. You could likely order a grilled cheese or something for a child at an italian restaurant, but I wouldn’t call it italian food.

• J-Dub421
      12:00 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Kind of like a lemur is a primate, but it’s not a monkey. Lemurs are their own primate category.

12:02 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

touche. lol But you have to admit, calling a hot dog closer to a taco is flawed logic. A tortilla is not bread and hotdog is always served in bread, even the bagel dog!

• JerryDamage
      12:02 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Right, but they are all primates. They are just different kinds of primates. Like Burgers and hot dogs are SANDWICHES.

12:07 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Have to admit I’m with Jerry. Burgers and dogs are just different types of sandwiches. But wraps, Pitas (i think), and tacos are not because they are not technically made of bread.

• J-Dub421
      12:27 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

I never said a taco was a sandwich. That’s ridiculous. A wrap would be closer to a sandwich for me that a burger, due to what’s in them. A grilled chicken sandwich is usually served on a bun and with similar toppings and condiments to a burger, but I wouldn’t call it a burger. People are getting too wrapped up in the bread aspect, but for me it’s more about the contents of the bread. A calzone is bread with stuff in the middle, but no one would call it a sandwich.

• runningunnin.454
      12:54 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

So sorry to have missed this….aggggh. Summer here already? Good thing it will be warm, at least.

1:51 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

@ J-Dub, My original post was arguing why Matt Jones was using flawed logic by saying a hot dog was more like a taco then a sandwich because of the shape of the container. Not you specifically. That said, I still disagree. The entire identity of a sandwich is “Bread”. Marriam-Websters dictionary defines a sandwich as two or more slices of bread or a split roll with a filling in between. hot dog = sandwich as it meets the definition perfectly.

16. IAmTheDanger
    12:03 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

When is the last time you said give me a hotdog sandwich?

12:10 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Around the same time I last said, I can’t wait to have a submarine sandwhich, or poboy sandwich, or torta sandwich, or grinder sandwich, etc. When I feel like a submarine sandwich I say, let’s go to XYZs for subs.

• IAmTheDanger
      12:32 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

But all those things originally had the “sandwich” moniker attached to them. Hotdog never did.

1:52 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

true with submarine, not so much on the other examples.

17. CadizCat
    12:14 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for all the information on the show today on who Cal might add to this recruiting class for next year. Your insight is truly something you don’t get anywhere else…wait…what did you say on the show today about this again????? Nothing. Hate it when you do that!!!!

• J-Dub421
      12:29 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

They talked about that yesterday, and there are no new updates since yesterday, ergo nothing new to talk about.

• Blublood41
      1:41 pm March 28, 2018 Permalink

I know, i was waiting for that too.