Whitney Creech’s Monday Morning Wakeup

@LadyTopperHoops

Whitney Creech of Jenkins, Ky. is a scoring machine on the basketball court. Yesterday, she accounted for 60 of Jenkins’ 70 points in the 70-45 victory over Montgomery County. That moved her into second place on the state’s all-time scoring list with 4,420 career points, passing Geri Grigsby (McDowell, ’71) and sitting just behind Jaime Walz (Ft. Thomas Highlands, ’96)  at 4,948 points.

Creech also had 22 rebounds and four assists in the game, as if the 60 points weren’t enough to help her team. She is now averaging 51.7 points and 18.1 rebounds this season, after leading the nation in scoring with 42 points per game last season.

A senior for the Lady Cavaliers, Creech has already signed with Western Kentucky. That’s too bad, because it’d be really nice to see her in blue.

More stuff…

Coach Cal stood up for Skal Labissiere after NBA scout took criticism too far.

One unnamed NBA scout crushed Skal Labissiere while talking to Adam Zagoria, and John Calipari isn’t happy about it. The anonymous scout called Labissiere a “fraud,” a “mock draft myth,” and a “f***in’ fantasy.”

Cal took to Twitter to let everyone know such criticism will not be tolerated:

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Every one of my players is on their own timetable. Kids grow at their own pace & shouldn’t be judged by anyone else’s timetable. We’re here to serve these kids & help them reach their dreams. Ultimately they’ve got to do it, but if anyone wants to attack one of my kids personally, they won’t be welcomed here. Evaluating guys is one thing, personal attacks are another. These are young kids and they deserve better.”

That scout won’t be back in Lexington once Cal finds out who it is. And Cal will find out who it is.

Isaiah Briscoe is going to be fine.

Kentucky was without Isaiah Briscoe in Saturday’s win over Louisville after Briscoe rolled his ankle in pregame warmups. His father has since told Zagsblog the X-rays came back negative and his son is okay. George Briscoe expects his son to return in a couple of days.

If not for Briscoe’s injury, the Legend of Dominique Hawkins is never born. Not saying the injury was a good thing, but some good came out of it. Glad it’s nothing serious, though.

We should know UK’s new offensive coordinator soon.

Either today or tomorrow, we should hear something on the offensive coordinator front. Eddie Gran’s season is over at Cincinnati, so if he’s the new hire, it will likely come in the next day or two. If Gran isn’t the hire, it may take a little longer to name the new assistant, but there should be some kind of news hinting at the direction UK will go.

Kentucky football lost a big commitment yesterday.

Mark Stoops’ 2016 recruiting class took a big hit yesterday with the decommitment of Kobe Smith, a three-star defensive tackle out of Georgia. Smith had been committed for almost five months and planned to enroll in the spring to begin work with the Cats immediately. However, a last-minute decision to reopen his recruitment leaves UK without one of its best prospects, despite Smith having already signed his scholarship papers to the university.

The loss drops Kentucky to 22 commitments in the class with a big opening at a position of need.

Reese Phillips blasts Stoops on his way out.

Former UK quarterback Reese Phillips received his transfer papers last week and fired a couple of shots at Mark Stoops on his way out. In an interview with Chattanooga’s Times Free Press, Phillips said he would still be in Lexington if not for the firing of Shannon Dawson.

“If Coach Dawson was still at Kentucky, I’d still be there, too,” Phillips said. “I had thought about transferring last spring and then got hurt, but I have nothing but good things to say about Coach Dawson. He’s the best and he’s the reason that I have decided I want to become a coach when my playing days are over. He’s a friend and the type coach I want to be.”

Phillips was also upset over Stoops naming Drew Barker the starting quarterback for next season, without giving him or Patrick Towles a shot to earn the spot over the spring and summer. Then there’s some tension with Phillips’ medical redshirt, which Stoops claims he doesn’t remember promising.

This is further proof there was a divide in the locker room. Two departing QBs standing up for Dawson with no love lost for Stoops.

[Times Free Press]

Today’s show is going to be a fun one.

Matt and Ryan have a ton of material for today’s show after the Cats won Saturday’s game and Rick Pitino embarrassed himself in defeat. You can go ahead and expect to fun hours of KSR as they recap the game and remind UofL that UK still owns the rivalry.

Tune in in about an hour.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Whitney Creech’s Monday Morning Wakeup

1. Dee
    9:32 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I’d hit it…..

• Booby Petrino
      9:38 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I hope you’re 16 years old.

• papasnapper
      9:57 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Sick, and in the traditional meaning.

• Dee
      12:59 pm December 28, 2015 Permalink

S.I.N.H. is very disappointed in the reply’s…..

2. david8577
    9:34 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I’m starting to wonder if Dawson wasn’t part of the locker room divide.

3. Booby Petrino
    9:38 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I heard no one wants to be our OC bc they can’t stand the new logo 🙂

4. Long Dong Silver
    9:49 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Why would you go to WKU? I mean, they have a decent women’s program. But if you can score like that, surely you could do better than Western.

• ClutchCargo
      10:09 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I have no idea how good she really is, but the level of competition is often not that great in a place like Jenkins. It’s hard to say if she’s SEC level or not, based on stats alone.

• Long Dong Silver
      10:42 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Could be. And I’ll admit, I’m not very knowledgeable with girl’s high school recruiting.

• ChanceyPantz
      11:53 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

It could be a number of things. She could have family ties to the University. She also might look at their history (WKU is easily the best women’s basketball program in the state historically) and while they are not ranked as high as UK recently, they are consistently ranked in the top 25.

5. papasnapper
    9:59 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I wonder if UK Hoops offered? It’s not like she’s not been on the radar for awhile. Heck, she average almost 4 PPG as a 6th grader on the Varsity team! And her numbers have steadily increased over the seven years she’s been playing Varsity ball.

• za
      12:55 pm December 28, 2015 Permalink

I was reading about her today. UK didn’t offer although she made two recruiting trips.

6. mtk4uk
    11:06 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Don’t know why Cal is so upset. The criticism of Skal is not off. He is not what everyone thought he would be right now. It was no coincidence that every time he was on the court UL made a comeback. He has a lot to improve on and is by no means a lottery pick.

As for the qb’s transferring, it shows the lack of character by both of those young men to throw out criticism of coach Stoops. I think we see where the divide was now. Coach Dawson and a few of his minions were holding the team back. I fault Stoops for not nipping it when it first started and letting it get out of hand. Now clean house and get to winning some ball games with guys who aren’t just out there for themselves.

• Kernel Sanders
      12:21 pm December 28, 2015 Permalink

2 sides to every story. These are 18-23 year old kids, so give them a little slack when today’s social media almost invites them to say things they probably regret later. Neither you nor I know the real story. I don’t know why Phillips would say that Stoops refused him a medical redshirt, unless it’s true. Lol, Coach Dawson and his minions, good one.

After watching Stoops complete inability to organize, develop players, and manage in game situations over the past 2 seasons (I give him a pass in year 1), then I can’t put it on Dawson. You must be joking. Cleaning house is good advice. Let’s hope Mitch follows it after next season’s inevitable dumpster fire. Pay the buyout, fire this clown Stoops, and do NOT allow the new coach such an absurd buyout clause.

7. plumloopy
    11:33 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

I looked up Geri Grigsby, since I thought there would be an interesting story behind it (being that good when there is no pro option for women) and it appears she graduated in 1978, not 1971. Anyway, as of a few years ago, she still held the record for *career* average. Wonder if that’s still true?