Which NCAA men’s sport reports the most marijuana use?

According to the NCAA, lacrosse is the leading sport in smoking weed in college athletics with 46 percent of its players reporting marijuana usage. Coming in at second is swimming, followed by soccer, wrestling, baseball and football. Then there is golf and tennis before getting to basketball, while track comes in at dead last.

Roughly 21,000 student-athletes were surveyed regarding their substance use habits and I’m sure all of them were completely honest in their answers. See the results below in a fancy little graph:

@NCAAResearch

And here’s the drinking habits compared to the smoking. Half of student-athletes drink both in- and out-of-season, says the NCAA.

@NCAAResearch

Party on, Garth.

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Which NCAA men’s sport reports the most marijuana use?

1. Merrcats
    12:48 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Apparently lacrosse players like to party

• DB11
      1:28 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Data like this can be extremely misleading. If a football player knows he is much more likely to get tested then he is much more likely to avoid using a substance.

• Snoop
      2:35 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

They call them Lax bros for a reason

2. JoeMoney333
    12:51 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

As an ex-College Swimmer…. Yulp… I mean you’re in the water 6 hrs a day. You have to find someway to cheer up…

3. Duke Lacrosse Wing man
    1:00 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Seemed to work well for Michael Phelps! “Pot” is about to blow up huge across America more and more each time a state legalizes it. Its already starting to be involved in parties in Colorado. They have “stoner” clubs, parties have a “bud” bar and alcohol bars. The baby boomers are now running the country and they’re the ones that started the movement, and now their kids are pushing it more and more to be acceptable. After all the lies we got pushed in our faces from the lame stream media, with the internet people are starting to do their own research and finding out that its safer than a aspirin!

• Jughead
      1:35 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Ha!

Meanwhile, China and Russia are assembling huge and sober military machines, the U.S. economy is a complete sham headed for collapse, and all America cares about is gaywad sex, smoking dope, and diversity.

BTW—stoner–it is “an aspirin.”

• jaws2
      2:05 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Hey Jughead, you left out reality tv. Another great American pastime.

• Darnell Dodson
      2:41 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Jughead for Governor, man! Wait a minute, did he say he didn’t like weed? I’m soo confused man….

• raccoon
      4:39 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Hey Jughead, the 80’s called and they want fear of Russia back.

4. James K
    1:03 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Drew alluded to it, but I am pretty much certain that the dishonesty in this survey is enough to make the numbers completely illegitimate.

• J-Dub421
      1:28 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I could be wrong, but I’m assuming that this was an anonymous survey, so there’s a higher likelihood for honesty.

5. classof68
    1:08 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Lacrosse kids are mostly rich brats. Ergo, they can afford more doobies than anyone else.

• Haha
      2:25 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

You do know that the #1 minority in lacrosse is Hispanics, right?

• classof68
      3:30 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

That’s good to know. Also good to know there are rich Hispanics.

• Whiskey Tango
      6:21 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

So Hispanics are the reason LaX is #1 in pot use? Then shouldn’t baseball and soccer lead the pack? Considering how popular those sports are to us Hispanics that are causing the LaX weed epidemic.

6. bigabes4uk
    1:12 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Yep- I can attest to the swimmers as well. When I was in college, my floor at my dorm was a swimmers floor….as well my roommate was. Great bunch of guys- and they were all stoners.

7. To tell the truth...
    1:17 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Are you sure this isn’t a, “which sport’s athletes are the most honest poll?”

• Rise
      1:25 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Exactly

8. J-Dub421
    1:26 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

As a former swimmer, there is no way I would have smoked anything while I was swimming because it diminishes your lung capacity too much. But, to each their own.

9. Jughead
    1:37 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Glad to see America is on the right path. Getting high and watching reality TV always leads to great things.

• Chaz
      3:05 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Anyone know the percentage of heroin users who also smoke weed?

10. brain
    1:40 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I always knew burning one and playing sandlot lacrosse was under rated.

11. JC
    1:41 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Weird because if I had to make a blind guess it would have been in this order.

As a former adjunct professor, I tell everyone that the worst students to get work from, be honest, show effort, and have decent classroom behavior were Golf, Swimming, Tennis, and Baseball. They didn’t offer lacrosse or men’s soccer, but while the women’s soccer team were great in the classroom, they partied like rock stars.

I was just about as young as they were and I hated doing it, several times I had to throw golfers and tennis players out of the classroom. The best students were basketball and football players. They were better than just about everyone.

12. Underfaker
    2:08 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Man I love reading all the drug policy experts and statistical geniuses who have weighed in on this post.

• Jughead
      2:35 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

9 out of 10 posters have greater than a marginal chance at being tangentially relevant after the derivative effects of smoking dope puts their grey matter on a slippery slope.

• Yeap
      2:35 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

^^^^LIKE^^^^

13. Darnell Dodson
    2:39 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Huh, hey man, where’s like my survey and stuff? I used to eat the shit out Mrs. Cal’s brownies…so damn good!

14. Scratch the Wildcat
    4:13 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Back in the 90’s, I’m pretty sure the cheerleading team was all coked up.

15. Buckets
    1:58 am July 25, 2014 Permalink

The golfers need to get their act together. Golf courses are always a great place to blaze a little while you play.