“Where you going, Hami?” (Wednesday Show Thread)

Hamidou Diallo’s decision cold happen at any moment.  As we wait for the results of the reported meeting with his inner circle, let Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond cool your nerves on Kentucky Sports Radio.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

50 Comments for “Where you going, Hami?” (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. secrick
    10:05 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Will he stay or will he go? Sounds like a song title.

• ky196
      10:33 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

You just knew that the “Dude” would wind up playing a clip from the Clash!

2. Realme
    10:09 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Thank you, weather for giving us back our show today. Matt did a good job on Finebaum. I listened to quite a bit of it.

3. Realme
    10:10 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

“Guy with a source” does not justify the app notification and overall media freak out last night.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:11 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Listened to Matt on Finebaum…..learned so much,
    1. We don’t have Starbucks in Ky
    2. We don’t have TV’s in Ky
    3. A guy in Alabama has a haunted house, and called paranormal exterminators,
    Wow, Tuscaloosa has their own Ghostbusters, ha ha ha ha.

• J-Dub421
      10:15 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

RealMe and I had that discussion yesterday. If you’re some redneck in Alabama, you can’t look down on Kentuckians and act like we’re all rednecks.

• Realme
      10:15 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Don’t forget we marry our siblings. I learned something too. Tide fans are crazier than we are, but we are more knowledgeable about our sports. I though Bama fans would be football experts, but they brought no specific arguments, just a lot of “well, Saban is the best coach ever”. “Bama is going to beat Fla State because”.

• J-Dub421
      10:17 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I was surprised by their lack of knowledge as well. Most of our showthread has more football knowledge and better reasoning, and we’re a basketball school.

• Well, I live in Bama, and yes, I find it hilarious that they make fun of Kentucky rednecks. A couple in Prattville, AL was on that show, “My Big Fat Redneck Wedding” or some such, and I think they actually had mud rasslin at the reception or wedding. Granted, the writers for this supposedly “non-scripted” show probably told them to do it, but still…

Even Jeff Foxworthy said there’s rednecks everywhere, not just in the south, and my wife confirms that they exist in Canada! When she was a teen they went rat shootin’ at the dump!!!

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I lived in Baton Rouge for a while, and they call their rednecks “coon asses” down there. And yes, I had to tolerate a few Kentucky jokes. Hard to toss rocks when we can see right through your house!

• RCF, I thought that was what folks called Cajuns. It’s a good thing U of SWLA (not LA Lafayette) didn’t name themselves the Rajun Coon _____!

• Now LA Lafayette I mean…

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Cajuns are a special breed of redneck, but they are more along the lines of what we call hillbillies in Appalacia. True story – was in a local college bar down there and a girl asked me to dance. Trouble was, she was VERY Cajun. I could hardly understand a word she was saying, and it was loud in there to begin with. About all I could do was nod stupidly at everything she was saying. It was almost like speaking a different language. She could have been telling me that my fly was open, and all I could manage was a goofy smile.

5. J-Dub421
    10:16 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Finebaum’s audience really needs to be introduced to J-Rock.

• Realme
      10:18 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t mind letting Darryl loose on them either.

• ky196
      10:18 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Or Chester!

• DrSayre
      10:22 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

If Matt can get Chester and Darryl on the show at the same time to debate something would be radio gold!

6. Realme
    10:25 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I’m not assuming he will, but IF he comes back, I am going to destroy some co-workers.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I’m going to destroy some people on this site.

• Realme
      11:12 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

😈

7. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

About the ghosts, my grandmother told me about a house in Hopkins Co. that was haunted, and she saw a fireball come out of a wall, roll across the floor, and disappear through a closed door.
    Supposedly, it was built over an Indian burial ground, don’t know about that, but, my uncle collected many Indian artifacts, arrow heads, mortars and pestles, and tomahawk heads.
    It was a vast collection, and he donated it to UK; so if you see that…it was donated by my uncle.

• Cool! I really like arrow heads and such. One of my cousins in Kentucky gave me some he found when we were kids. I still have them.

• secrick
      10:35 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I saw a fireball last night but i drank it. That was nice of your Uncle .

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

My Dad had a pretty good collection, and I have it now. You could find some really pristine ones back in the day when they farmed with plows and horses. Now, they’re destroyed by the huge farming machines.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like ball lightning (aka ‘St Elmo’s Fire). Was it during a thunderstorm?

Speaking of which, I remember sitting at the “Whale’s Tail” in Destin, FL many years ago with some buddies drinking a case of beer and watching a huge storm roll in. The ball lightning was dancing up and down the power lines. It was a really cool, and slightly terrifying sight.

• Yeah, my mom told me how many arrowheads my granddad found when they built the house that she, for the most part, grew up in. She grew up on a farm in Casey County.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

It’s sad that very few kids today will grow up on the traditional working family farm that was a part of America for generations. I had several uncles in Indiana who ran farms, and I had a blast spending the summers staying with my cousins up there. Now most farming operations are big corporate deals.

• RCF, that is true, but I also know several people who grew up on farms and said “I’m not doing this my whole life” and that’s why they went to college. One apparently literally put down the pitchfork, walked away, packed his bags, and got on a TRAIN and headed to college and never looked back. That was like 60 years ago.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Matt definitely sounds like Shaggy from “Scoobie Doo”. ZOINKS!!

9. symphonist41169
    10:52 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

“The Odd Couple”. Movie & series were both pretty funny.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

“I Love Lucy” is still funny…timeless. I was watching an episode a few months ago, and Lucy was going to be on a quiz show…Ricky was quizzing her and he asked the last state to join the union. They said Arizona, and I thought what? But then I realized the show was taped in 1952…ha ha ha. Time warp.

• Yep! My daughter loved it when she saw the candy factory episode when they started stuffing the chocolates in their mouths.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Some of the old “Abbot and Costello” episodes were really funny. That and “The Honeymooners” – Jackie Gleason’s heyday. Of course, my all time favorite performance by Gleason was as Sheriff Buford T. Justice in “Smokey and the Bandit”.

“Noooo one makes Sheriff Buford T. Justice look like a possum’s pecker!” 😀

11. UkChubbs
    10:57 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Blazing saddles is from 1974 and it is still legitimately funny

• And could not be made today. Mel Brooks said this himself.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Hilarious and completely non-PC. 🙂 The meme that someone made of the Sheriff scene with Charlie Strong on the horse after he was hired at Texas is priceless.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

The old Peter Sellers “Pink Panther” movies were pretty good as well.

12. ky196
    10:58 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I used to listen to Mike and Mike until they started blasting Pete Rose about his attitude and gambling, then they immediately cut to a plug after for draft kings and fan duel! I view that as being a hipocrite!

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Rose’s time should be up….he didn’t murder anybody; and they continue to allow players that have taken PED’s to have 2nd and 3rd chances.

• He was my favorite baseball player on the Big Red Machine at one time, but if he had shown one shred of humility and honesty over the years, he might be in the HOF by now. I’m afraid he did this to himself.

• secrick
      11:07 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Rose should be in and it’s about time someone did something about it. I don’t know who.

• ky196
      11:19 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

I agree both that he didn’t help himself, fact remains, his likeness is all over the HOF, and they include him in all of their big events, ie All Star Game, All Century Team,….. He should be in! You can’t tell with certainty that all current players aren’t gambling, therefore hipocrites!!!

13. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Did I miss Matt actually talking about playing volleyball, or was it tennis? It would probably be pretty funny to see him on a volleyball court.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Tennis.

14. ky196
    11:14 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Apparently Matt has never heard of Gary Burbank. His radio personalities on WLW were fantastic!

15. runningunnin.454
    11:15 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Some of the old Marilyn Monroe movies are funny…she was not just a dumb blonde and was very talented.
    “The Seven Year Itch” was hilarious, and the leading man, Tom Ewell, was from Owensboro.

16. Sentient Third Eye
    11:51 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

The bottom line is that film is massively in decline and is simply incapable of reaching the quality-level it had fifty years ago. Every now and again, a film comes close, but a truly great film today would only have been above-average in the sixties. The acting is not as good overall, but the real problem is with directors. Other than a few declining masters (Scorsese and a few others), there are no truly good directors anymore. The profession has badly declined, and the knowledge of the past greatness is apparently lost. It’s a sad state of affairs, frankly.

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

The next generation does not have the attention span to sit through a feature length movie anyway. All they want to watch is YouTube videos and Instagram or SnapChat. Kids nowadays essentially have the attention span of a goldfish!

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:34 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

RealCatsFan, you’ve hit it on the head! In this day and age when everything under the sun is a “disorder”, why is something as crippling as short-attention-span not considered a disease? It’s more real and harmful than “sex addiction” or “gender disphoria”.

17. Realme
    11:51 am May 24, 2017 Permalink

Matt doesn’t say what he makes in dollar amount, but he has often indicated that he does well.