Super Bowl, Florida loss, Brady, GaGa, etc. (Monday Show Thread)

Kim Klement | USA Today

Kim Klement | USA Today

Kim Klement | USA Today

Saturday’s 22-point loss at Florida sucked. What does it mean going forward? Matt, Ryan, and Shannon will break it down this morning on KSR, and when that gets depressing, they’ll talk about other stuff, like last night’s Super Bowl, including incredible performances by Tom Brady and Lady GaGa. Grab some more coffee and tune in.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

90 Comments for Super Bowl, Florida loss, Brady, GaGa, etc. (Monday Show Thread)

1. That was GARBAGE play calling by the Falcons when they got to the Pats 22 late. Protect the ball, run it up the middle and kick a field goal if you don’t get the TD. I don’t care what ANY analyst says. I know their hammer RB was out, but hand it off…3 straight times. Even if you lose a little ground you’re in FG range. Also, you run clock and/or force them to use their TO’s. Enough acronyms I guess!

“Run the dang ball!”

Oh well…

And I’ve kind of resigned myself with this UK team. They are what they are. Only question is do they get it together like 14, or exit early like 16?

• J-Dub421
      10:09 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

The Patriots executed well at he end of the game when they needed to in order to win.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

The pass play on 3rd and one in their own territory and the fumble was the turning point of the game.
      Run it; if you don’t make it, kick it down the field.

• ukjaybrat
      10:14 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

the Ls are stacking up and it sucks. I’m still hoping this is all just madness from whatever virus they got running through the lodge. Hopefully once they all get healthy and playing to their potential we can play in the 90s like we did early in the season and no one will be able to stop us.

• Yes, the Pats executed in the later part of the game, but the Falcons coaches still blew it. Throw everything else out: if they run the ball 3 times at the 22 they win, barring a fumble or missed FG. In fact, Ryan could have taken 3 straight knees there and they only back up a couple yards, and again, you run the clock.

• Someone made a good point on ESPN radio this morning (Donovan McNabb I think): he said when ATL had 2nd and 11 at the 23, they should have had Ryan taking a 3 step drop instead of 7 to lessen the chance of a sack, or losing that many yards.

BTW, did you notice on the holding call against ATL on 3rd down, the Falcon lineman actually had the guy in a sleeper hold! 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Yup, like the Beatles said…..”You Can’t Do That”.

• RG454, you’re also right about that 3rd and 1 play. I had forgotten about that one.

2. CatFanDu
    10:04 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

NOT a good weekend for the Cats.

• RealCatsFan
      10:14 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Well, at least UK Hoops won. 🙂

• CatFanDu
      10:45 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

True! There was at least that bright spot!

3. Realme
    10:09 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Didn’t our basketball team used to be really good? What happened?

• RealCatsFan
      10:12 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Everyone is playing selfish hero ball. Not sure if it is a sign of desperation, immaturity, self interest (draft stock), or some combination. Cal’s job to figure that out!

• J-Dub421
      10:20 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Poor defense, too many turnovers, not enough assists (bad passing), poor shot selection…. Pick one or several.

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I really never thought I would even think this… but I have almost no interest in watching this team at this point, and that was before the UF debacle. And no, I’m not a bandwagon fan; I have bled blue my entire life.

• Realme
      10:49 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

But seriously, this isn’t the 2014 team, that was bad all year and then flipped a switch at the last minute. This team was way better in November / December than they are now. I really want to know what has changed behind the scenes.

• runningunnin.454
      10:50 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Come on, now!

• ukjaybrat
      10:51 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

like i said,, i’m really hoping it’s just the sickness getting to everyone

• Realme
      10:54 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Hope so, Jay.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I have no real interest in NFL football, but I was pulling for the underdog who has never won it, so the weekend was pretty much a disaster for me too. I don’t have an irrational hatred for Brady like Matt – what can you say about someone who is just a badass on the field – and in general, seems to handle himself pretty well with the media? Why the hate?

I agree with rg that the Falcons made a lot of crucial mistakes down the stretch. I also am not a fan of a coin flip basically determining the outcome of an OT – should be like college OT, where other team gets a chance to answer.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:12 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe – When he’s on, he’s on. When he’s off, he’s way off. I don’t know how much longer I can take him driving to the rim and either missing a layup or turning the ball over.

Hard for a team to win games shooting 38% from the field and getting whipped on the boards.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Same can be said about pretty much the whole team – Fox, Monk, Willis…

• Laker Cat 18
      10:15 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

No, the same can not be said about the others. They can shoot. Briscoe has two jobs. Drive/dish and fight for boards. Scoring is not one of them.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:17 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe is Archie Goodwin 2.0

Here’s to hoping he figures things out.

• Realme
      10:22 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe is one of the only players working hard and keeping us in a game half the time. Singling him out is not fair, imo.

• J-Dub421
      10:23 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Too bad they rarely call fouls because Briscoe gets hacked and bumped on pretty much every drive.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:25 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Working hard, yes. Talent-wise, no. He just doesn’t have the talent or decision-making capability as we’re used to. Definitely has the heart, I’m not knocking that. I personally feel he gets so hyped up he’s almost blinded by it. There is such a thing as being too hyped up in competition.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:29 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

He’s still not lights out at the free-throw line. I don’t see why we want him at the line. That’s why we struggle so much as a team when he’s not productive driving in the paint. Dude had 4 turnovers Saturday night.

• ukjaybrat
      10:31 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

“I personally feel he gets so hyped up he’s almost blinded by it. There is such a thing as being too hyped up in competition.”
      really? i feel like it’s the exact opposite. when we’re playing well, monk and fox get all the credit. and when we’re playing poorly, briscoe gets all the blame

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m in the group that was offended Monk was visibly happy while getting our tail whipped. Immaturity shows. I feel like that horse has been beaten already. Fox didn’t have his best game with 19 points and 0 assists. I can’t blame him though because we couldn’t hit shots. It’s hard to play small and expect to out-rebound many teams. I feel like Humphries should play much more. 3 minutes isn’t enough for a guy like him. I’m not going to say Briscoe plays too much. I love his heart and effort, we need that on the floor to some capacity. But man, we need to find a way to execute when he’s in the game. It hasn’t happened consistently the last 4 games.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:05 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe is a talented kid, but he’s not a freak athlete like For or Monk. He’s a four-year kid, likely. We put him in a touch spot this year for a sophomore in that he was made the team leader. I’m not sure he was ready for that responsibility. Very few kids can be Tyler Ulis and lead as a true sophomore like they were seniors. We have asked too much of Briscoe.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:23 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

STE – That’s probably the best analysis I’ve seen on Briscoe so far. I would agree.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      12:33 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Laker Cat 18 a few things…Briscoe isn’t Archie Goodwin at all…not sure what similarities you are seeing. Monk wasn’t visibly happy…he was laughing off the irony… and it would be amazing if Humphries played more and Bam could play the 4…but Humphries has been terrible…he got the chance to start and blew it!

6. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Matt, at least he is not a complete asshat like Laettner.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

The negative nancies were out in full force, once again, after a loss. Where are these people after a win?
    One guy actually said “Rome is burning”. Really?
    Faulty analogy, the corruption and sexual perversion of Caligula is 80 miles west of UK.

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Yep – radio said that Mango and another player have been suspended for violating curfew. Ho’s in the dorms again? 😉

• I did not participate this time because I was more resigned than angry. I’m less likely to get an ulcer that way. 🙂

• catsarerunnin
      10:20 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m surprised there aren’t more injuries due to jumping off and on the bandwagon.

• I mentioned earlier about this team possibly getting it together like ’14 or an having an early exit like ’16, but don’t forget that if ’14 Wichita State had made the last shot, we would have had a first round exit.

• AGSlater
      11:58 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Should we get excited when we beat a bad Georgia team in OT? Lets play LSU close to the wire at home too thats a good look

• UK Big Board Update
      12:25 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

^^ I’m still trying to figure out what your agenda on here is.

• ukjaybrat
      12:41 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

we played without 2 guards and bam was in foul trouble the entire game. beating uga was ugly but it being a close game is not something i’m upset about. even losing to florida was expected. the only loss i’m really upset about is kansas and UT

8. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

A good point was made on the Leach Report. Things turned for this team when Vandy started running 4 guys down the court to shut down the fast break. That basically provided the blueprint that everyone else is using against us.

• Realme
      10:21 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I think forcing us to execute half court offense (which we are not good at) is definitely the blueprint to compete with UK. BUT, rebounds, turnovers and defense are hustle / effort issues that are completely killing us. That’s on Cal / UK, not the other team’s gameplan.

• If that’s the case, why did it take until Jan. 10 for a (rookie SEC coach) to figure that out? I’m not questioning Tom’s bball knowledge (he has a million times more than me)…just wondering.

9. ukjaybrat
    10:17 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

i have a buddy who is a BIG time atlanta fan. he didn’t watch the game with us but i imagine the emotions were running strong at his place. my place had brady haters but mostly nuetral fans. that is by far the best super bowl i’ve ever watched.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Well, at least it became an exciting game; but, I hate to see a team lose due to sheer stupidity.
      Just do the simple things, run your offense, and it was over.

10. Laker Cat 18
    10:20 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

The Super Bowl was a prime example of why you don’t get conservative on offense. You could tell the Pats came out in the 2nd half hungry and bullying the Falcons around on the field. I’ll give some credit to the Falcons defensive line. They played lights out for the most part. Big Freeney fan here. It’s hard to bet against the greatest coach and greatest QB ever.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:24 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Well, we’re going to fall dramatically in the polls, not that I really put much stock in them.
    But, one of my pet peeves; if a team loses, should they automatically, knee-jerk fall in the polls?
    Say, Gonzaga is #1 (ha, funny), and the Zags and Kansas have an open date; they play, and the Zags lose by 1 point in OT at Lawrence…should they fall in the polls….no.

12. J-Dub421
    10:25 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Brady did not leave his pregnant girlfriend for Gisele. They broke up, and he didn’t find out she was pregnant until a few weeks later.

13. CATandMONKEY
    10:31 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Disappointed about the loss Saturday. We have lots of time to play up to our potential.
    Disappointed in my Pats for 2/3 of the game. Thanks Falcons for crap play calling down the stretch.
    I watched neither due to work commitments.

I will NEVER purchase Four Roses based entirely on the pop-up ad on this site. Ever.

14. runtsfan
    10:33 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Patriots are the best example of what you can accomplish when you know a system and believe in it. In the Cal system, the players aren’t together long enough to really get to know if there IS a system and how to make it work. I think they are trying and not selfish, but the draft is coming and they are not stupid, so the closer it gets, the more they think about it, and, IMO, it affects them at least subconsciously. When you get to the tournament, you get a chance to get them focused for a couple of weeks. Get used to this. One and done is entertaining, but it’s not predictable. I’m not crazy about it, but, hey, I’m “Runtsfan”, so I go back a long time.

15. runningunnin.454
    10:34 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Get off Monk’s and Fox’s backs. The fans were singing Happy Birthday; would you have Monk scowl, curse them out, and throw a big fit like Grayson Allen?….pretty cool he smiled, laughed, and played along.
    Malik > Grayson…..case closed, court adjourned.

16. CatFan5388
    10:34 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Fox should try to make a jump shot before he starts taking shots at fans.

• catsarerunnin
      10:38 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Yeah as a fan I was really offended…..

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

If a grown man who is POTUS can put his foot in his mouth on Twitter, why do we get so mad at an 18 year old kid?

• catsarerunnin
      11:14 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Yes by all means let’s make it political.

17. secrick
    10:35 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Well one thing about Briscoe we will have 2 more years to try and get him better. Stop shooting the three Briscoe.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

He only shot 1 three on Saturday.

• catsarerunnin
      10:45 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I would rather see him take 3’s instead of driving the lane with nowhere to go.

• secrick
      10:48 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

The three and anything just inside the three. We have 3 point and just under 3 point shooters that are way better than Briscoe. Pass to them and drive and kick out. Sorry i just think he shoots outside to much but i also think he is as tuff as nails and really like the kid.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I just want the refs to call it when he drives and gets clobbered.

• ukjaybrat
      11:00 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

they are calling fouls on our guys just for breathing… so that would at least be consistent

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Yep, Leach mentioned that maybe the inconsistent foul calling is confusing our freshmen and making them tentative on defense.

18. runningunnin.454
    10:36 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Oh, Lady Gag Gag….can’t account for some tastes in music.

• Ha! I called her that on Facebook last night. We watched the Puppy Bowl at halftime.

• catsarerunnin
      10:43 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I watched everybody drink my beer and eat my chicken wings.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Some peoples’ taste is all in their mouths.

• ukjaybrat
      10:49 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

mmm… chicken wings, about the only thing i didn’t have at my place last night. that would have made the day

• catsarerunnin
      10:52 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

No chicken wings? At a super bowl party? Dude…

• ukjaybrat
      11:01 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

i know i know. epic fail… it was a potluck and somehow chicken wings didnt get picked up.

• Booby Petrino
      11:04 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I loved the half time show. Best one in a long time! Gaga is awesome!

• Booby Petrino
      11:05 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

she can actually sing and doesn’t need to lip sync or ask other musicians to perform with her.

• symphonist41169
      11:19 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

She doesn’t sound terrible when she does duets with Tony Bennett on good songs. Her biggest problem, along with 99% of today’s pop “artists”, is her choices of material to record. Flat-out awful IMO, but others may like them.

19. Realme
    10:46 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I am starting to feel like Bam isn’t bringing nearly as much to the table as I thought he would. There’s really no one on the team you can’t be disappointed in in some aspect. Let’s just hope Cal can turn this around. If not it’s definitely more ammo for the one and done haters if another year goes into the fail column.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:08 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I think with Bam the problem is that he doesn’t get fed enough. He gets so few touches that I think he feels he has to shoot every time the ball comes in, so he takes some bad shots when he ought to be kicking it back out for an open three. If he got more than ten touches in a game, that might not happen.

• Realme
      11:12 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

Good point. That’s something they can work on with him, could help open things up for him in the long run if he’d make the decision to pass at the right times.

20. runningunnin.454
    10:48 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

I can’t stand when someone is dragging on the National Anthem.

21. secrick
    11:04 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

We should drop to about 15 to 18th. The way we are playing maybe out of the top 20.

• ukjaybrat
      11:13 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

i thought we would be at 15-18 range after last week. so i think we *should* be out of the top 20, but who knows. maybe the voters are going easy on us because all of our losses have been to really good teams (except UT). who knows.

22. Laker Cat 18
    11:18 am February 6, 2017 Permalink

We lost 2 straight and Vegas bumped us to the odds on favorite to win the title. We should be huge favorites after this week!

23. runningunnin.454
    12:51 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Matt was right about the success of Boston’s sports teams recently, but
    The Red Sox curse between world series wins was over 80 years.

24. BluKudzu
    1:01 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

They will be alright. 30-5.

• BluKudzu