What I’ve heard on Anthony Edwards, new No. 1 player in 2019

Photo: Alyssa Trofort/Under Armour

Photo: Alyssa Trofort/Under Armour

Things will move fast for the new No. 1 player in the class of 2019, Anthony Edwards. The five-star shooting guard from Atlanta reclassified from the class of 2020 to 2019 and bumped James Wiseman to become the top player in high school basketball according to 247 Sports.

At 6-foot-5, 215-pounds Edwards can do it all. Highlights will show him as a powerful backcourt player that plays the 1, 2 or 3 position with ease and he’s even has helped man the frontcourt in AAU and high school. He truly can do it all. Known for his offense, Edwards may actually be a more elite defender.

His versatility makes him a must have for the schools he’s considering, which includes Kentucky along with FSU, UGA, Michigan State and North Carolina.

Edwards has five official visits he can take over the next several months and expect him to take his time to make a final decision. He has unofficially visited Florida State, Auburn and Clemson, but a source close to UK told KSR that the Cats will make Edwards a priority now that he’s officially jumped to 2019.

However, an AAU source said that a school will have to “wow” Edwards to keep him away from Florida State. The Seminoles hold all the picks in Edwards’ Crystal Ball and I’m told that FSU was the school that first suggested/orchestrated the reclassification.

But as UK fans have found out the hard way as of late, things can change in recruiting. Folks close to Kentucky expect to get him on campus for a visit and if that happens who knows where things will stand.

If the Cats were to make up ground and secure a commitment from Edwards it would be an interesting cast of players for 2019-2020. Kentucky would seemingly have as much talent as any other team in the country, but it would be wing and backcourt heavy. In a way too early hypothetical, I’d expect Edwards to play the three and Kahlil Whitney to play the four. Maxey would be one of the two guards and the other guard would depend on who returns from the current roster. UK’s five man is TBA.

I know it’s unconventional but assuming UK brought in a Matthew Hurt, or returned Nick Richards or E.J Montgomery, I don’t care who the other starting guard is that would be a tough team to beat. As of today I don’t think Edwards ends up at UK as all signs currently point to FSU, but Calipari is motivated to land a big fish in 2019 so don’t count out the Cats.

How about some highlights?

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

16 Comments for What I’ve heard on Anthony Edwards, new No. 1 player in 2019

1. RAGE
    8:44 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I would love to see that lineup… I mean we could play small and fast… Don’t get me wrong size is good but give me a quick team and a team full of talented guards!!! I mean the four mentioned as starters and either Hagans or Herro in the other spot… I would roll with that team all the way to the finals

• RAGE
      8:46 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Honestly that would be a lineup that would fit with moderate NBA mode… Where everybody is playing small ball

2. UKBaker24
    8:59 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I’m not buying this guy just instantly being the #1 player lol I know every service is different but ESPN had him at #5 in 2020. And like this post touched on, we need bigs for next year. Obviously I’ll take him but Carey, Hurt, and McDaniels are more important IMO

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      5:44 am November 21, 2018 Permalink

ESPN doesn’t update often. They still had him at 6′ 3″ as well.

• Aar
      8:41 am November 21, 2018 Permalink

Have you watched Wiseman, Carey and Hurt’s mixtapes compared with Edwards? With that as all the evidence I have, I’d put Edwards first among them as well. No knock on any of them. They’re all excellent players who will benefit whichever program they choose.

Edwards puts his own spin on “Positionless”. Maybe under height in comparison to Williamson or Simmons but powerful, quick and skilled.

Sounds like flipping him from FSU will be challenging and making sure the flip is to UK could be tricky.

I’m starting to like the idea of positionless small ball at UK next year – as long as there are two rim protectors to give BBN ten fouls per game at the five.

3. Catlogic15
    9:22 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Since all crystal balls have him to FSU, I hope Mr. Walker doesn’t post about him every day, ala Wiseman.

• zoupman
      11:04 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

No kidding. I don’t want to read about who we are recruiting all the time.

• BigolBlue
      11:53 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Or who we are losing

4. Eazy19035597
    9:41 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Cal will probably do anything for this one.

5. njCat
    9:47 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Well… he’s the top ranked player and Cal says UK always eats first, so it’s gotta be a slam dunk for the Cats.

6. N-UR-i
    9:53 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Another Guard? Gridlock

7. JASUN74
    10:50 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

He’s a real life MON-STAR!! That kid is smooth!

8. Cincy Cayt
    10:52 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Don’t say it don’t say it don’t say it…

We didn’t want Wiseman anyway. This guy is much better if he chooses UK.

9. SanDiegoCats
    11:01 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

My New Years resolution is at least one positive post from TJ Walker

10. MadScientist
    9:01 am November 21, 2018 Permalink

The game is definitely changing, not just recruiting. The ability to shoot and spread the court is more important now that ever. Yes there will always be a need for a big to rebound and get a tough 2 when you need it, but having a team of multiple shooters and a 4/5 under the rim is basically the Golden State model.