What is Matt Bevin doing in that tree? (Monday Show Thread)

Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will tackle that along with many other questions on today’s show. Tune in to hear them recap the weekend, look ahead to the last week before Matt’s vacation, and much more.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

25 Comments for What is Matt Bevin doing in that tree? (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:45 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Ha to that photo!

I expect to hear some good stories today from people whom have meet Ali.

2. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

He’s the Keebler elf; and, I’m expecting some chocolate chip cookies.

3. At least he isn’t taking selfies!

4. Sticky Ceiling
    10:17 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Who is the news person that tweeted the “Ali” comment that Matt mentioned?

5. Wow, Show Thread is a lot quieter than I thought it would be with the Ali passing.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

That was all Sat & Sun, and you missed it…so O.K, I’ll repeat mine.
      I watched the live boxing on ESPN Sat nite; I think the venue was Montreal, and they honored Ali with the traditional so called “ten bells”. I would imagine this was occuring in boxing venues all over the world. Poignant….RIP Champ.

• I did see all the posts (didn’t read them all b/c many were very redundant), but still thought there would be more comments here.

I only have a couple thoughts. Ali was certainly a larger than life figure, and I have no problem with someone being a conscientious objector (as long as they truly are), but to temper things a bit, one things that sticks out in my mind is his comment that “No Viet Cong ever called me a …”. Yeah, but so what? My point is that if they had had the chance, those same VC would have just as soon done to him the same thing they were doing to a lot of their own people, whether he was over there fighting them or not.

• And that they were doing to our soldiers as well.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Even if you want to make the argument that Ali was not truly against the war from a CO perspective, and that he simply used it as a means to avoid service, at least he stood up and faced the music. He gave up his title, and went through the legal process. Contrast that to other public figures like Clinton, Limbaugh, and Trump, who weaseled out of the draft through social privilege and connections. And some of these same people would have the audacity to call out Ali on this issue!

• I never said he wasn’t truly a CO. Only he and God knew that. My problem was with the “I have no problem with the VC because…” statement he made because it was a straw man argument. I don’t know how many VC he encountered in Louisville, but again, if he had, they would have done a lot worse to him than call him a name if they had a chance.

That said, I don’t use the term he referenced, nor any like it, because I’m a Christian.

Also, Ali was great for some laughs with statements like he made at a joint presser with Liston when he started ranting and said something like “You can’t hit me in the face because I’m pretty as a girl!” while waving his hand across his face. Hilarious!

6. houndstooth
    10:35 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

I’m beginning to dislike some callers: Sorry Alvin but you have made my list along with women who call in to update matt on whats going on with their lives. Can we just start off with John Short everyday!

• @GoCayts
      12:50 pm June 6, 2016 Permalink

the people who have an hour to call in and wait on hold for a 30 second conversation in the middle of a work day … I mean … this is what you get … Al also calls in to the Sports Huddle after work … asks the longest questions

7. chimichanga
    10:44 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Waiting for the cement truck to fill in that tree, hopefully.

8. J-Dub421
    10:45 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

They won’t mention her, but they should say Mary T. Meagher. She is from Louisville.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Woo! Someone besides me knows who Mary T. is! Thanks caller!

9. jjbalaan
    10:57 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Hey the ufc champion Demetrius Johnson is from Henderson Kentucky and is considered the best pound for pound fighter in ufc history.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t know that “Mighty Mouse” is from Kentucky. He is exciting to watch.

10. J-Dub421
    11:15 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

I wonder how Captain Suntan is holding up, since his best friend Muhammad Ali died?

11. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Man, I can identify with what the last caller said about time passing. Hard to believe that we are halfway through 2016! Time feels like a treadmill that some diabolical trainer keeps cranking up the speed.

Along those lines, I found the room getting a bit “dusty” last week during my daughter’s graduation ceremony when they were putting baby pictures of the kids up on the screen when they walked up there. I must be getting old!

12. J-Dub421
    11:34 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

In real life, I would have a close friend do my eulogy. My fantasy eulogist would be Wendell Berry.

13. secrick
    11:38 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

Ali was a great boxer the best i have ever seen, but i know nothing about boxing and was told it is fixed. I have no respect for him but hope he is resting in peace and like me forgiven for my sins.

14. CatBlue in LR
    11:54 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

The historical ignorance on this show drives me batty. The only one they can come up for the list from the mountains is Earl Combs and then Richie? Wah Wah Jones and King Kelly Coleman would both be ahead of Richie, and you could argue even with or ahead of Earl Combs. And, yes, Ralph Beard certainly should be on there (if we’re naming people already dead). He’s in the College Basketball HOF, and the point-shaving scandel destroyed any chance of a pro career. Also, every good Kentucky fan should know Cotton Nash came to Kentucky from New Orleans.

Why don’t they know these basic things? I’ve been away from the state for 25 years, and even as a long-distance Kentuckian I know more about Kentucky sports history than they do!

15. Sentient Third Eye
    12:49 pm June 6, 2016 Permalink

I remember meeting Ali back sometime around 1979 to 1980. He autographed my copy of the Superman versus Muhammad Ali comic book. I wanted him to sign it in a place that didn’t obscure the artwork, but he signed it right across the front. Anyway, it worked out fine. I sold that comic for two hundred and fifty bucks in 1993. I looked it up on Ebay, just out of curiosity, and I found another it selling for a thousand dollars today. I checked the signature to see if it was the copy I used to have, but it wasn’t.

16. rainman
    1:46 pm June 6, 2016 Permalink

Where is a good lightening strike when you need it?

17. snarkster