What a Racket (Tuesday Show Thread)

The Kentucky Sports Radio crew is back on the road.  Today Matt Jones, Drew Franklin and Ryan Lemond are on UK’s campus at the Hillary Boone Tennis Complex to talk about D.J. Jeffries, Kentucky’s new Bahamas’ uniforms and much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

31 Comments for What a Racket (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Seems unnatural, unholy for UK to lose a basketball commitment. Jeffries was not that highly ranked;but, this pretty much means we won’t get Wiseman.
    A perfect storm in Memphis.

• Realme
      10:08 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Couple of our guys this year were originally committed elsewhere, so all’s fair, I guess. I hope this doesn’t become more and more normal for basketball. Can’t take a football commitment seriously at all, and would hate if that were true for basketball too.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:10 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

It does seem though that UK is showing great interest in two other guys that can play DJ’s position. Maybe both parties were aware? Over-recruiting? I’m OK either way but agree that it is, indeed: unholy.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Me thinks that the shiny Penny that DJ found will turn out to be tarnished by the end of the season.

• Realme
      10:16 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

I agree that the other guys will be fine, but it would be funny if Penny stole DJ and then Cal still beat him out for Wiseman.

• I hope it doesn’t become the norm either. However, we all remember Terrance Jones. We probably don’t win great #8 without him flipping from Washington.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

I guess it’s time the sun shines on Memphis. I remember they lost a title game to UCLA and one of the greatest performances in NCAA history…Bill Walton hit 21/22 shots to beat them.
      Then Cal and Memphis lost to Kansas; then Cal left and took recruits with him. And, of course the NCAA spanked them with no proof. But this irks me.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

As soon as he decommitted, we swooped in and snatched up Tyler Herro. We will be fine. In Cal we trust.

2. Realme
    10:09 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Ugh, I wish I was packing for the Bahamas right now.

3. I made this comment on the uniform thread (a reply to our friend ClutchCargo, but edited somewhat):

My main thing is that it can affect recruiting, crazy as it seems, and it didn’t necessarily start with millenials.

You may have heard of Roger Schultz who is a former Bama player who was on “The Biggest Loser” a few years ago. He used to host a talk show where I live (a very funny guy BTW), and he said he wanted to go to a school that wore Nike shoes. This is a FOOTBALL player, in the late 80s! He ultimately chose Bama over (I think) Ohio State. I don’t remember if Bama actually wore Nike shoes then. They wore Russell unis (that company was based in Bama), but Russell didn’t make shoes.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

To be clear, I think the checkerboard look is hideous. But it doesn’t cause me stress, and it hasn’t prevented me from watching any basketball games. Like the style of the new UK logo, it has just taken on a life of its own with some fans.

• michaelb
      7:10 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

When have you heard a uk player say that they don’t like the unis? It’s always the days before they’re about to be drafted in the first round of the NBA draft. Like go look , every single time that’s been the case . There for it doesn’t hurt recruiting . The kids it bothers are the same kids that think the new KD’s & Lebrons make them jump higher and shoot better .

4. runningunnin.454
    10:47 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Saw a cool thing on the road the other day. A big 18 wheel truck with a white cab, and a big blue UK logo on the cab.
    Keep on truckin’.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

There are some blue and white UK mailboxes around Louisville, and I’ve seen a big tricked out RV that’s blue with UK logos all over it. They make me smile when I see them.

• I don’t see that in Bama RG or JDub, but I smile just when I see a UK sticker or car tag frame around here.

Haven’t they posted a pic here of an old Cadillac painted blue & white with a UK logo? That would be a great thing to have.

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Out on Norris Lake, deep in the middle of Vol country just to the northeast of Knoxville, there is an old bridge over the water that has a big blue UK logo painted on it. Been there for years – still there AFAIK, but I haven’t been there since 2014 or so. Anyone else seen it?

5. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

CG, we were on our way to Destin one year, going through Alabama, when we made a food/bathroom stop at a McD’s in a small town. Some lady about 40 years old ran into the middle of the place and just randomly screamed “WAR EAGLE!!” That has stuck with me through the years. Made me laugh.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

I won’t be on the show thread much in the next several days. Street Rod Nationals rolls into Louisville tomorrow, and I will be in the middle of motorhead Nirvana. Wish Matt would do a remote out there. That would be interesting! 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

We need a blue/white camaro with a big UK logo.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Not going there, rg, after you guys want me to paint my car. Maybe I can slap a UK magnet on it. 😀

7. J-Dub421
    11:41 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Lol, oh no!! We lost a 4* player! The world will end! Ha ha ha ha!!! Seriously Memphis fans?? Let me know when Penny actually wins anything. Then I might be concerned.

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

But it will be serious if he gets Wiseman, too. I’ve never thought we would get him because his mom wants him to stay home.
      Then, Penny will do well in the AAC.

• JTHinton
      11:59 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Don’t look now, but the AAC is on the up, with Houston, Cincinnati, Wichita State, and now Memphis. Gonna be interesting…

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

He can get Wiseman too, and I still don’t think Memphis will pose a serious post-season threat. Oh, they will win plenty of games in their conference, but no way I can see Penny coaching them past the second round.

• Booby Petrino
      12:17 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

as we all know from watching Cal at UK, coaching one and done’s isn’t easy; it takes time for the youngsters to acclimate to college ball/bigger and more talented players. Not scared of Memphis even if Penny gets those two to commit. He will have tons of work ahead of him.

8. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am July 31, 2018 Permalink

Would drinking a shot out of Alan Cutler’s boot fall to the level of the female UofL fan drinking out of a garbage bag?