WFPL News: How A Sports Radio Show Became A Must Stop For Kentucky Politics

Tyler Franklin | WFLP News

WFLP News, Louisville’s NPR news station, took a look at How A Sports Radio Show Became A Must Stop For Kentucky Politics.

Ashley Lopez, a political reporter for WFLP, spoke to Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond about KSR’s occasional dabble into the political world.

Matt told her, “I’m able to ask things that others can’t. I am able to sort of pull the curtain back in a way that other people won’t or feel like they can’t.”

Yesterday, KSR hosted its Kentucky gubernatorial debate, featuring the three main candidates: Matt Bevin (R), Jack Conway (D) and Drew Curtis (I). We’ve also seen Matt host the Fancy Farm Picnic, the Republican gubernatorial debate and a Senate debate, among many other impactful political interviews.

He and Ryan believe it has been great for the show.

Listen to Lopez’s report below or read more on KSR and politics in her story here.

“Bond a bridge.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for WFPL News: How A Sports Radio Show Became A Must Stop For Kentucky Politics

1. memphis
    10:52 am October 1, 2015 Permalink

Matt sounds like he’s trying out his NPR voice in his interview.

2. DesignatedDrinker
    11:40 am October 1, 2015 Permalink

Could be because Jones on air talent is head and shoulders above everyone else in Kentucky on the radio not named Terry Meiners. I like Lex18 and Kyt for my news but their people just aren’t entertaining. Except maybe Kristen Pflum.

3. LexCat
    11:59 am October 1, 2015 Permalink

Matt Jones for Congress!! Beat the do-nothing Andy Barr!
    He would make a great representative of this fine state.
    And regardless of his liberal lean, he has always been his own man and not always toed the Obama & Mainstream Democratic line.
    As an proud KY Independent voter, he would certainly have my vote!

• railbird
      1:56 pm October 1, 2015 Permalink

As a proud KY Independent voter, when was the last time you voted anything other than Democrat?

4. glenn
    12:24 pm October 1, 2015 Permalink

MJ can piss me off at times but he’s smart, straight forward and knows issues. BTW, great job with the debate yesterday. I learned that Drew Curtis is a viable candidate.

5. BiggestCatsFanInOhio
    12:45 pm October 1, 2015 Permalink

I love that every one of Ryan’s quotes were taken verbatim with no grammatical corrections! Haha. That’s why we love him.

6. somerset bill
    12:53 pm October 1, 2015 Permalink

“He and Ryan believe it has been great for the show.” nicely worded.

7. Wilbur
    3:19 pm October 1, 2015 Permalink

Are you going for the stubble look or did we lose our Harry’s razor?

8. The Real LIndaS
    12:22 am October 2, 2015 Permalink

Terry Meiners is the most depressing person I have ever heard on the radio….I often wonder how many people have jumped off the 2nd St bridge listening to him. He is past his expiration date.
    “It’s been nice for the show”….sure it has….salt is nice for snails too. LOL Matt is probably the only liberal democrat radio personality that the republicans trust…They know if they get him to host, no matter his politics, the state will listen because he is the voice of Kentucky sports on a daily basis. If you want people to listen throughout the state you don’t ask Terry Mieners with the bad Joe B Hall impression, little slick quick rick or floppy pitrino to do it. People in louavull will listen to Matt also, at least the intelligent ones who wear blue and white and hopefully just listen to the republicans for their weekly laugh.