Western Kentucky hires Tennessee offensive coordinator

Western Kentucky has its next football coach.

According to multiple reports throughout the interweb, Tyson Helton is the new coach of the Hilltoppers. Helton served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Tennessee this season under first-year head coach Jeremy Pruitt, and was considered the heavy favorite to replace Mike Sanford prior to Monday’s news.

Helton will know his way around Bowling Green when he arrives. He was on Jeff Brohm’s staff at WKU in the 2014 and 2015 seasons as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Go Tops.

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Western Kentucky hires Tennessee offensive coordinator

1. sundanze77
    11:57 am November 26, 2018 Permalink

This is a troubling hire for WKU as Tenn was wanting to get rid of him

• UKfanman01
      8:08 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Troubling hire? This guy thrashed us this year… Just saying

2. snoopjdawg
    12:00 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

I live in Bowling green. Great hire. Sanford wasn’t making necessary halftime adjustments and just could not get the kids to play 100%. Hopefully, Helton changes this and fires up the fan base. I am UK #1 and WKU #2….thanks for posting the story Drew.

• JASUN74
      3:57 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

Hey bro. I’m with you, and I think it’s a fantastic hire for WKU!! I hope they give him time to turn that program around because he a very good young coach. Good personality and firey. I’ve tryed to keep up with him a little bit, like I do a lot of the young guys out there and he’s going to be a good one I think. Not really a big WKU fan being from Eastern KY, but I love it when all instate programs are doing good.

3. sprtphan
    12:02 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

There went Bobby and sons last chance.

• Duuuuuude
      12:50 pm November 26, 2018 Permalink

There’s always Last Chance U.

4. UKWildcatNation
    5:04 am November 27, 2018 Permalink

100% agree with you JASUN. This a great hire, but it will all come down to WKU giving him some time. He was a great OC/QB coach under Brohm and helped develop Brandon Doughty become one of the most efficient QBs in the country. Then did good things with Sam Darnold last year. I was actually impressed with his work with Guarantano as a freshman! Great young, energetic coach with a good offensive mind…just need to get some good coordinators. I pull for all in state programs, except for that sham of a “program” that we DESTROYED Saturday.