Well, That Sucked (Friday Show Thread)

That was terrible.  Let’s get through it together on Kentucky Sports Radio.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

78 Comments for Well, That Sucked (Friday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:55 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Well, that’s the way the ball bounces sometime; especially that rebound on the floor in the last minute.

2. Realme
    10:01 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I said so many curse words last night, I think I need to stop until football season starts, lol. So far I have lasted 2 hours.

• ClutchCargo
      11:12 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Yes, it is never good to go into football season with less than a full supply of cuss words at the ready.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:05 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

You know, it did suck, but I actually didn’t take it all that hard. Maybe I had just the right amount of bourbon in me to calm me down. If the majority of these guys stick around, we’ve got a spectacular season all teed up for next year.

• ClutchCargo
      10:08 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

And I wish I could be given moderator status on the comment section for about 30 minutes. It’d be a whole new world, minus several idiots who can’t stop acting out.

• jsh2001
      10:16 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Just depends how you look at it, when the brackets came out if you told us we lost by 3 in the Sweet 16 to UVA with a chance to tie most everyone would have thought that was a decent tournament run. Fast forward two weeks and understanding how hard it is to get to a Final Four the situation changes with our opponents. Even though in reality we all knew this team probably wasn’t consistent enough to make a Final Four, they were given a golden opportunity where they didn’t have to play their best to get there and now it definitely stings a little.

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Thing is, they kinda did need to play their best. I’m not sure they didn’t have at least a little sip of that poison Cal was talking about. Have to give KSU credit for doing what it took to get it done, though. They made our freshmen look more like freshmen than they have in a few weeks.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Had to go to bed after the late game; but, I saw this morning the Cal bashers were out in full force. They should form a company, dumba$$esRUs…just can’t think of any service they could perform that people would pay for.

• Realme
      10:08 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Seems like the same people that were sure we wouldn’t make the tourney are now angry that the team exceeded their expectations by a lot. They make no sense.

• ClutchCargo
      10:09 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

They make you feel smarter, better adjusted and just better all around. That’s got to have some value, right?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:11 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

They complain about one-and-done then cry that they hope all these guys will leave.

Amazing.

• Yeah, one guy in the post game was saying “I’m done with the crew! I want them all to leave!” Please dude, put down the crack pipe.

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I’ve said it 1,000 times, there is no pleasing these people.

• 4everUKblue
      1:24 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

I just wish they’d get so pissed of that the would just give up on KY and move on.

5. jsh2001
    10:07 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Two observations not really related to the game.

1) Thanks to UMBC for saving the world from a UVA-KSU matchup which may have been the worst game to watch in history. I’m convinced if those two played it might not have gotten out of the 30s.

2) Should K-State win on Saturday they will be the worst team to ever make a Final Four.

Bonus, 3) Now I am depressed again, we are so much better than them. Even dropping one of our clunkers we should have been able to win that game.

• Well, they acheived their goal of uglying up the game, and we weren’t able to change that. If Jarred had played we would have won due to his rebounding IMO. Someone (maybe Matt) said in the post game it wouldn’t have mattered because he didn’t score much. Hello?

• jsh2001
      10:42 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

They definitely made us play their game, officiating also helped keep it at a pace they would prefer. Jarred could have been big for our transition game as good as he is getting the ball down the floor off a rebound. I still don’t understand why we were content to walk the ball up the floor even off their misses though.

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Any time we started to gain any momentum, the refs called a couple fouls on us and took it away.

6. It’s all Ryan’s fault. In his pre-game pep talk he said “On Saturday we’re gonna shut Sister Jean’s yap!”

lol. As if she’s out there running smack at the other teams.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:13 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

It would be kind of awesome if she was though.

• The thought is hilarious. Did you see the photoshop where she’s in the air blocking a layup? In here wheelchair! Awesome!

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Someone commented that we didn’t get the chance to make her cry; newsflash, she wouldn’t cry.
      And at 98, I’m sure she remembers the ’63 Ramblers National Championship over Cincinnati…I do.
      I remember Miss Sate represented the SEC, and the Miss governor and police didn’t want them playing against integrated teams.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:19 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I have now!

• her wheelchair…

7. Realme
    10:11 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I wish there was a limit on the number of fouls called per half. They just make games unwatchable. If the refs want to stop every possession for a foul, when they hit 15, the players get to have a free for all.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Whether you are a UK fan or not, that game was unwatchable. One foul after another, and one commercial after another. It has come to the point with the commercials that I don’t even want to watch the games live anymore; I would rather watch them on DVR so I can fast-forward through all that crap. If I hear the soundtrack for that damned Buick commercial one more time I’m gonna puke!

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

KState was fouling P.J. intentionally and hard in the paint…and unfortunately it worked; if only he had hit his normal percent from the line. That accounted for a lot of the whistles.
      The worst call was the charge on Kevin.

8. REALME, now that you’re back, check this out: I believe you said you are into true crime podcasts like 4everblue is. It’s not my thing, but this parody might be pretty funny. It’s an actual podcast that parodies true crime podcasts.

• Realme
      10:16 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I meant to tell you I read the comments after the show the other day. It’s Laker Cat that also listens to all of those. I had heard there was a whole podcast to parody that stuff. Really funny.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Cal is not at fault. KState was determined P.J. was not going to beat them in the paint; and, they hammered him hard…his 40% from the line was not characteristic.

• Realme
      10:17 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Yes, we lost because the players couldn’t make shots for the majority of the game. Cal did extremely well with this group.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

We just didn’t hit shots. It sucks. The officiating was atrocious and made the game difficult to watch.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Can we take up a collection to buy their mascot the rest of his costume? Did the dude forget and leave the rest of it back in Kansas? You have to admit that might be the dumbest looking mascot ever! I’ve seen middle-school mascots that look better.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

It’s like a T-Rex and a bobcat made a baby and the head got transplanted onto a male cheerleader.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I had to mute Chris Webber; I bet he was wearing little KState panties. Can’t believe CBS puts a criminal on TV…didn’t he have a Grand Jury to lie to?

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Either that or a timeout to call that he didn’t have. Doofus!

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Michigan also had to vacate two Final Four appearances, and an entire season because of Chrissy.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I muted him too after a while. I got tired of listening to him slobber all over K-State.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

RE Kroger/Target merger – if we change it to Target Field, would we be called for targeting?

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

No, but it would be a great opportunity to say “Let’s go Targeting!” every time a flag was thrown for that. And they could even run a full length Target commercial while the officials go to the replay.

13. ClutchCargo
    10:29 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m on day 2 of quitting Facebook cold turkey and I feel amazing. So liberating! Maybe part of it is not seeing even more people showing their asses in public. And I even did a good job of being selective in who I follow and whatnot, but you still can’t get completely away from that stuff.

• Realme
      10:35 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I grew weary of all the preaching, politicking, and vague posts about being sad years ago. It was a good feeling to quit.

• Realme
      10:36 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Oh and fake posts about how idyllic people’s lives are.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, those are the worst. Really, for me it came down to how it changes how I normally interact with people in real life. I used to travel a lot for work and I would always sit at the bar in restaurants because I would go in there alone. I would always get into conversations with total strangers about whatever, and never once did it turn into a shouting match like it tends to online. It’s hard to do that when you have your face buried in your phone. Anyway, that’s just not me.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Only reason I have an account is because it is the only way I can keep up with much of my extended family. My younger nieces and nephews have a habit of making all their announcements, like babies, engagements, get-togethers, etc., on FB.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I asked my wife to just tell me if there’s anything on there I really need to know. Ha!

14. henderblue
    10:33 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I don’t like the way the game was called. Seems to me the refs controlled the tempo and slowed the game down, which favored K-State. People calling out PJ for missing free throws are the worst. Like they would have made them

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I had a bad feeling that we were in for a long night as soon as they started blowing whistles early on and KSU hit their first two 3’s.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

They called two crap calls on Hami in the first minute or so. I knew we were in for a long night at that point.

15. henderblue
    10:39 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Jaime Luckie was pretty much horrible. We knew he would be

16. RealCatsFan
    10:39 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

The block/charge call is the most glaring issue when it comes to officiating in college BB. They MUST clarify that rule, and they need to put the onus on the defensive player. If you can’t play defense, then so be it – don’t let a player get bailed out by flopping.

17. calfanboymafia
    10:42 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

LOL ITS THE REFS FAULT EVERY TIME WE LOSE WITH U GUYS!! I would think u would be tired of crying that weak excuse every time. We had #2 recruiting class , and we were preseason top 4. We played well for an 8 game stretch in nearly a 40 game season. We always win the sec tourney thats not a big deal ( Coach Cal agrees).In the past the 1 thing we agree with is the tourney matters. We beat a 12 seed and a 13 seed and lost to a 9 seed who was not a very good team.This site had an article showing the seas part for us to the final four..How can u call this a good season?? AN i believe a growing number of fans feel just as sick about the loss as the fact we could have a new squad next year.Oh and Cal was so confident he was saying he was worried they would reseed the sweet 16 cause he liked his draw so much. Please in the first few responses address the points i made then u can attack me personally u can say im insane and i must be a kid(just hold those till i get someone to address what i wrote)

• Realme
      10:47 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Work on your reading comprehension. The officiating made the game miserable to watch. No one said it was called one sided and caused us to lose.

• henderblue
      10:57 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Thank you Realme.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Is that you again Slater?

I never called it a good season. But I wasn’t terribly surprised given the lack of experience on this team. Cal also said that if the players “drank the poison” they would go home early. That was part of it, and the pace of the game was exactly what KSU wanted. Kudos to them.

BTW, do you go over on the UNCheat threads and ask them why Williams sucks so much?

Now why don’t you run along somewhere and self-fornicate.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Basically this guy doesn’t like Cal, and the NBA one-and-done rule…gee, never heard any of that before.
      Which one of you guys kicked his cage.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Learn proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation, then come crying to us for attention again.

• 4everUKblue
      1:35 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Yep, Slater has created a new account.

18. Realme
    10:49 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

They would be destroying Ryan if he was the one with that Earl Watson brain fart.

19. stevefromtexas
    11:07 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

If you don’t have shooters you can’t play in the half court. If you can’t play in the half court you can’t win 6 in a row in March.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully Herro and Baker will be the shooters that we need next year.

20. runningunnin.454
    11:10 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Well, heading to work; I’ll just say I hope the guys get some sound advice, and return to hone their craft.
    I didn’t see any NBA performances last night against a team that was certainly not elite. I’d hate for them to end up in Estonia with Briscoe.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m confident that they will get some good advice, along with some bad advice too. Up to them who they listen to.

• Or Iran with Marshall Henderson. I had no idea there was a pro league there until a couple years ago when I read he was playing there (or Iraq, but I think it was Iran). I don’t know if he still is. Wouldn’t it be great if someone released a GIF from over there like the one when Ole Miss played at Auburn?

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Ha, somehow I couldn’t see him popping his jersey to a crowd in Iran! Might not live to see the next game.

• Yeah, there might be a stoning or something right there on the court.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

That 1 percent of fans that Matt is talking about are probably a lot of the people that were talked about on Facebook above. Social media makes it so much easier for assholes to be ASSHOLES. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:29 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

A lot of them are on this site. Callitlikeiseeit, bigblueneagativedouche, calfanboymafia, randall lee, and a few others come to mind. They love to be assholes.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

Ha, love the lady talking about the nuns – “you don’t mess with nuns”. I can attest first-hand. Went to Catholic schools all my life, and we had a nun as our principle in grade school. Sister Sylvester had a huge wooden paddle that she would whack your ass with if you got sent to the office. It had a bunch of holes drilled in it to lighten it up and I am convinced to make it sting more. You could hear that damned thing whistle as it came down on you.

23. ClutchCargo
    11:47 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I intend to enjoy the rest of my Friday and the weekend, but I’m sure reality will smack me in the face when there is no UK game to watch tomorrow. Ya’ll have a good one.

24. So everyone be ready to share recipes on Monday. Hit the books hard over the weekend (or Allrecipes.com since books are so yesterday).

All joking aside, at least the Bat Cats give us something UK to talk about after basketball since they’re good now.

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m kind of “meh” about baseball, but I’m ready to see what the volleyball team looks like this year! 🙂

25. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am March 23, 2018 Permalink

I bet the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce is crying the blues this morning. Atlanta will be a ghost town this weekend in comparison to how it could have been.

26. bigbluehank
    12:37 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Seeing lots of comments about the “Cal bashers” being out in full force today. While that may be true, are they any worse than that group of fans who blindly defend Cal regardless of what he does?

• J-Dub421
      1:04 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Sometimes players miss shots. How is that Cal’s fault?

• bigbluehank
      2:26 am March 24, 2018 Permalink

Missing shots isn’t Cal’s fault. Refusing to call a timeout while down 2 with ten seconds left is Cal’s fault. If you go back and watch, he turns his back and walks to the bench as Shai brings the ball down the court with about ten seconds left. Trusting freshmen in the regular season is one thing. Doing it in the tourney is poor coaching.

• 4everUKblue
      1:36 pm March 23, 2018 Permalink

Hank is on the same level as Slater.

• bigbluehank
      2:29 am March 24, 2018 Permalink

Not sure if that is a compliment or an insult. Either way, I appreciate the thoughtful response as well as the points you forgot to make to support your stance.