Welcome back to another week of KSR! (Monday Show Thread)

Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are back for a brand new week of Kentucky Sports Radio radio. They’re in studio today to talk NBA summer league and all the other happenings around Big Blue Nation and life.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

45 Comments for Welcome back to another week of KSR! (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:08 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

How ’bout some baseball? Mark Reynolds of the wash Nationals, and formerly of Pikeville, went 5 for 5 with 2 HR, and TEN RBI’S in one game
    Since he’s obviously Superman, the manager brought him in to pitch, and get the last out the next day…even tho’ he’s a first baseman…ha ha ha.

2. Realme
    10:13 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

About a month until bball and then another month until football. Long nightmare almost over.

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

In some ways, I kind of need the break from UK sports – allows me to get some things done around the house. And also allows time to enjoy the Great Outdoors.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, but I’ve seen comments on KSR implying that it’s impossible to concentrate on both…ha ha ha, so much for multi-tasking.

• Realme
      10:17 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Every year after basketball ends, I feel bleak about all the upcoming weekends I don’t have a game to plan around. Then when it restarts, it’s like, how will I possibly have time to watch these games and get everything done?

• J-Dub421
      10:20 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

But Wimbledon is on right now, so I’m happy.

• JTHinton
      10:23 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget, World Cup and Premier League is on weekend morning 🙂

3. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

The KHSAA dead period is officially over. Volleyball season starts back up in earnest for me and my kids. Mrs. RCF is driving 6 hours round trip to Lake Cumberland and back to retrieve my older daughter so I can take her to a camp at Morehead State tomorrow morning. Younger one went to camp at UK yesterday and comes home tomorrow. Yes, we are those crazy volleyball parents.

• JTHinton
      10:24 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

I thought it was the 10th… but it makes sense that it’s today since tryouts are next Monday.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

The news that they are getting the kids out of that cave is the best story I have heard in a while. And the Thai navy seal who perished late last week should be hailed as a worldwide hero. What a selfless act of courage. Prayers to his family.

5. Rod Crandler
    10:18 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

ATM’s don’t give out $100 bills

6. Some of these questions about the soccer team are moral dilemmas, but from what I’ve heard they started with the boys that were the weakest or most sickly, so they’ve done the right thing to me.

7. J-Dub421
    10:32 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Knox is crushing the summer league. I’m also excited the Hami has been doing well.

• Realme
      10:38 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

I’m happy for them, and at the same time I wonder where that dunking fool (Knox) was last season. He was so hesitant before it’s like he grew up several years in a few months.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Yep, it looks like Kevin definitely made the right decision for himself. Would have loved to have seen him at UK for another year (how crazy would that have been?), but he is showing everyone that he is ready.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Some guys’ games translate better to the NBA style of play.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Hami’s definitely will. His athleticism will be unleashed, and they won’t wrongly call him for charging when he dunks on someone’s face.

Knox was just so young (still is). He will continue to come into his own for the next few years.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

I think the guy that Matt is talking about who is a UK fan with a son playing for Louisville is the same guy who drives the courtesy shuttle for the local Toyota dealership. Nice guy, and he sounds and looks so much like John Candy it is crazy.

9. I would turn in anyone for anything as long as there’s a cash reward. Ha!

10. Of course I’m kidding about that, but do you all remember this quote from Bo Jackson?

“If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn’t the same as the one I was wearing, I’d run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother.”

11. Realme
    10:55 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

That weird caller staying on the line and talking to himself (if you haven’t heard it, it’s on the site and Shannon’s Twitter) made it seem clear he’s mentally ill.

12. Realme
    11:05 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

I one hundred percent agree with all the comments about the situation in Thailand. But I’m also disgusted with the Thai government and the world media for not caring 5% as much about all of the children literally enslaved there to make money off of pedophiles.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Human trafficking is an absolute scourge. Penalties should be much harsher.

• Agreed. That situation is beyond horrific, but it happens in this country too (although apparently not to that same level).

I saw one of those cable crime shows where 2 16 year old girls were kidnapped literally right out of a Wendy’s and enslaved like that.

I can’t remember if this was on that same show, but the parents and teen brother of one girl in that situation were looking for her (they lived in Pensacola, FL). The brother just happened to see his sister in the back seat of a car at a Tom Thumb store. He approached the driver and said “Give me my sister.” The driver said no, so the bro pulled a knife and put it to his throat and said “Give me my sister.” “Okay.” That bro had GUTS!!! He looked like he was only about 18 in the interview.

• Realme
      11:26 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

• runningunnin.454
      11:27 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

I like that story.

• I also read a brochure someone in the office had about a local guy who does mission work in Moldova. He goes to orphanages among other things. He helps keep girls from being trafficked.

One girl who had been resident there said even some of the workers put down the girls and tell them they’re worth nothing because they’re orphans. Then this missionary showed up one day with Christmas gifts and is told them God loves them. She now works with him to help those girls that live where she lived.

When they’re 16, they’re on their own. There have even been accounts of workers at the orphanages tipping traffickers off when a particularly pretty girl has been released. Unreal.

• Grammar fail. Typing and editing fast.

13. Who in the world is going to carry around a metal straw? You have to keep it someplace, then take it home to wash all the time.

Still, it could also double as a weapon, kind of like a tactical pen. 😛

• Booby Petrino
      12:36 pm July 9, 2018 Permalink

I keep one in my Yeti at all times, but I don’t take the straw with me if the cup isn’t coming too!

14. J-Dub421
    11:55 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

You can have straws, just don’t make them out of plastic. There are biodegradable materials out there that can be used to make straws.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

I absolutely hate drinking through a straw anyway so I don’t really care about banning them. But if they really want to make a difference for the environment they would ban plastic water bottles and plastic shopping bags.

• Realme
      11:58 am July 9, 2018 Permalink

Drinking with a straw makes you take in more calories / sugar if you’re drinking soda. BTW, your plastic water bottle discussion inspired me to buy a water filter and one of those fancy metal bottles everyone was talking about. Should have done so a long time ago.

16. MadHatter
    12:18 pm July 9, 2018 Permalink

What’s up with the ksr censorship on some articles? Seems a little hypocritical to say someone doesn’t have to “just stick to sports,” while at the same time blocking comments to threads that aren’t about sports. You can’t have your cake and eat it too…

• Booby Petrino
      12:37 pm July 9, 2018 Permalink

sure they can. they can block whatever and we’ll still come back.

• J-Dub421
      12:51 pm July 9, 2018 Permalink

Then people (like you just did) just post in a different thread. Ta da!