Wednesday’s Top 10: Hump Day Stuff

Happy mid-week to you, America. It’s Hump Day and there is lots on deck to get you through it. So join me as we recap Tuesday and look ahead to Wednesday in this third edition of the Top 10 this week…

1. The NBA Combine continues. Today will be Day 2 in Chicago for De’Aaron Fox, Bam Adebayo, Isaiah Briscoe, Hamidou Diallo and the 63 other NBA prospect trying to prove their worth in the league. The televised portion of the combine doesn’t get started until tomorrow, but we may get more sneak peeks via the NBA Draft and other NBA related Twitter accounts.

2. Kentucky Baseball wins again. The Bat Cats beat a very good Indiana team (No. 22 RPI) last night at the Cliff by the score of 5-2, carried by freshman pitchers Zack Thompson and Chris Machamer. It was a much-needed win after Kentucky unexpectedly dropped a series to Georgia last weekend. They’ll be back in action Friday night when they play host to Tennessee, one of the worst teams in the conference, at 6:30.

3. Power Rankings results. Here’s how you ranked them in last night’s Power Rankings.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 7.18.40 AM

4. Rick Pitino gettin’ buckets. While Coach Cal is joining the finer things in life up in the New York/New Jersey area, Rick Pitino went south for the offseason to Miami, where he is playing in a men’s recreational basketball league. And he’s still got game 64 years old:

VIDEO: #Louisville HC Rick Pitino dropping 3's at @MastersHoops National Championships in Coral Springs @NBC6 @NBC6Sports. #GoCards pic.twitter.com/vNLytbWmKU

— Chris Fischer NBC6 (@FischerNBC6) May 9, 2017

Russ Smith saw the clip and tweeted, “I’ma sub his ass out he take a contested shot,” which made me laugh.

5. All eyes on John Wall tonight. Wall’s Wizards will travel to Boston for a pivotal Game 5 (pivotal is the word the NBA uses for every playoff game) and the Celtics have a plan in place to slow him down. “The best way to guard him is as a team,” Avery Bradley said after Tuesday’s practice. “One player can’t stop him. It has to be an entire team building a wall.” A wall around Wall? Good luck with that. My prediction: Wall and the Wiz take Game 5 and win the series in six, setting up John versus LeBron in the Eastern Conference Finals. Wall finally reaches the superstardom and recognition he deserves.

Tonight’s game tips at 8 pm.

6. Jarren Williams’ tweet. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!

Fingers crossed for a recommitment in the next week or two!

7. Rest in peace to my arch-Twitter-nemesis, Big Black. Christopher “Big Black” Boykin passed away at 45 years young on Tuesday. The former Rob & Big star and I had our share of beef back in the day, but it was all in good fun (although Rob once told me Big really, really, really hated me). Through all of his Kentucky hating and Louisville loving and comments about my mother, I still liked Big Black because he was awesome on their show and seemed to be a blast to be around, and it’s sad to see him go.

Maybe will do this fight on the other side one day:

8. Teleportation. De’Aaron Fox wishes he could do it.

Superpower @Swipathef0x (@KentuckyMBB) wishes he had? #NBACombine pic.twitter.com/kRhjQ8ANry

— NBA Draft (@NBADraft) May 9, 2017

Fox is already the closest thing to teleportation when he takes the ball the length of the court.

9. Charleston, South Carolina. I’m going today. Never been. Can I get some recommendations? I hear it’s a lovely place so I am sure I will enjoy everything, but let me know if you think there is something in particular that I need to see or do or eat or whatever.

10. Ryan Lemond returns. Matt’s right-hand man is back on air today after a day off from the show. Tune in to hear his voice because I know you missed it yesterday.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Wednesday’s Top 10: Hump Day Stuff

1. Whatever25
    9:15 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Eat at Tommy Condon’s Irish Pub. They have some seriously good food, and live music a lot of times.

As for attractions, Boone Hall Plantation is pretty cool if you’re into that sort of thing, the historic Charleston City Market is a good place to buy over priced shirts, and the USS Yorktown and a few other ships are docked there as sort of like a WW2 navel history museum. You can tour the ships and submarines and see what life was like on those vessels. I personally really enjoyed that.

2. secrick
    9:18 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Go to every Roof Top bar, they got lots of them and have a cold one.

3. InigoMontoya
    9:30 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

My favorite part of the poster: National Anthem by Fake Barney!

4. BluKudzu
    10:01 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

I read that Big Black passed yesterday and I was curios if it would be mentioned. He left a 9 year old daughter, and served in the Navy. He was not a fan of UK, but he was still a pretty decent father and a vet. Life is short. Never fail to remind yourself of that.

5. Biscuits Old Dad
    10:13 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

+1 for Boone Hall Plantation, again if you’re into that kind of thing.

Or, just take a morning and walk around some of the old neighborhoods downtown and check out the beautiful old homes and their gardens. End up at the pier from which the rebels fired on Fort Sumter.

If you’re into history check out Fort Sumter.

6. silverado
    10:13 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Drew, the best seafood restaurant in Charleston is Hank’s. Call now for reservations – – they are busy!

7. Stand on the banks, look out at Fort Sumter, and think about how much more powerful and long range the artillery was back then than you imagined. It gave me pause.

Go tour Sumter while you’re at it.

• Well, a friend of mine said they fired from the banks of Charleston. Now I look at Wikipedia and it seems it may have been fired upon only from areas closer than that. It’s still amazing to think how powerful the artillery was that far back though.

• James Island was at least one place they fired from. I can’t find any web site that confirms that they fired from the banks of Charleston itself (we were near Rainbow Row in historic Charleston when my friend said “They fired from HERE man!”).

Anyway, appreciate the history there, Drew, and not just the entertainment spots.

8. CATS-R-Gr8
    10:14 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Drew, The Noisy Oyster has incredible food and brew. I Always gotta get the Seafood Hot Dip and Fried Buffalo Oysters as an appetizer!

• CATS-R-Gr8
      10:16 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

If going to Ft. Sumter, Take the Earliest Tour Time. They do a flag raising ceremony that pretty neat to be a part of.

9. inside info2
    10:42 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Charleston is one of the most attractive places in the US. You can’t go wrong with any of the tourist attractions there. However, take PLENTY of deodorant. I can feel the humidity from here.

10. Irwin R. Fletcher
    10:47 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Poe’s Tavern, Sullivan’s Island. They have beer. It’s on Sullvan’s Island.

11. parrIs72
    11:18 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Yes Poe’s…you can probably get them to make a Franklin burger. Lewis Barbecue, Taco Boy. Husk if you can find a way to get in. Bowen’s Island for seafood.

12. fenwaypk13
    1:02 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

A really great restaurant downtown is called Magnolia’s. Great seafood, great fried chicken, good beer. https://magnoliascharleston.com/

13. bdill
    1:09 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

I’ve been going to Charleston monthly for 25 years. The best places to eat (pricey but WELL worth it) are Halls Chophouse, The Oak (both steak places, maybe the best steaks you’ve ever eaten), Circa 1886 (awesome seafood), and FIG. There are about 10 others that are really good. For breakfast, go to Poogan’s Porch and TOAST. Poogan’s is incredible. Touristy restaurants are Hymans, Noisy Oyster, and Tommy Condons (Irish pub with irish pub food). Fleet Landing can be good if you get fresh fish, and their crab hushpuppies are awesome. For the best sandwich you’ve ever had go to the Tatooed Moose, duck club sandwich and awesome beer.

14. bdill
    1:18 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Also, out of the way, but everyone has to go to Bowen Island Seafood to experience a real oyster bar at least once, right on the water.

15. BiasedBigfoot
    1:37 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Maybe J Williams tweet means that someone offered him money to play at their school…. but he’s not saying who.

16. SADmaninKy
    5:46 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Drew, Try RB’s Seafood Restaurant ( http://www.rbsonshemcreek.com ) . RB’s Steampot is a Low Country Boil and it is awesome! Give yourself plenty of time to finish it off; they will keep the icy cold beer coming.

17. blueinsc
    8:48 am May 11, 2017 Permalink

Drew, go to The Southern bar and grill on Coleman Blvd in Mt Pleasant. Owner is from Maysville. Good U.K. Bar. Food is awesome. Bluegrass and Americana music. Poe’s and Home Team BBQ on Sullivan’s is very good. Revelry and Tradesman Breweries also very good. Have fun!