Happy mid-week to you, America. It’s Hump Day and there is lots on deck to get you through it. So join me as we recap Tuesday and look ahead to Wednesday in this third edition of the Top 10 this week…
1. The NBA Combine continues. Today will be Day 2 in Chicago for De’Aaron Fox, Bam Adebayo, Isaiah Briscoe, Hamidou Diallo and the 63 other NBA prospect trying to prove their worth in the league. The televised portion of the combine doesn’t get started until tomorrow, but we may get more sneak peeks via the NBA Draft and other NBA related Twitter accounts.
2. Kentucky Baseball wins again. The Bat Cats beat a very good Indiana team (No. 22 RPI) last night at the Cliff by the score of 5-2, carried by freshman pitchers Zack Thompson and Chris Machamer. It was a much-needed win after Kentucky unexpectedly dropped a series to Georgia last weekend. They’ll be back in action Friday night when they play host to Tennessee, one of the worst teams in the conference, at 6:30.
3. Power Rankings results. Here’s how you ranked them in last night’s Power Rankings.
4. Rick Pitino gettin’ buckets. While Coach Cal is joining the finer things in life up in the New York/New Jersey area, Rick Pitino went south for the offseason to Miami, where he is playing in a men’s recreational basketball league. And he’s still got game 64 years old:
— Chris Fischer NBC6 (@FischerNBC6) May 9, 2017
Russ Smith saw the clip and tweeted, “I’ma sub his ass out he take a contested shot,” which made me laugh.
5. All eyes on John Wall tonight. Wall’s Wizards will travel to Boston for a pivotal Game 5 (pivotal is the word the NBA uses for every playoff game) and the Celtics have a plan in place to slow him down. “The best way to guard him is as a team,” Avery Bradley said after Tuesday’s practice. “One player can’t stop him. It has to be an entire team building a wall.” A wall around Wall? Good luck with that. My prediction: Wall and the Wiz take Game 5 and win the series in six, setting up John versus LeBron in the Eastern Conference Finals. Wall finally reaches the superstardom and recognition he deserves.
Tonight’s game tips at 8 pm.
6. Jarren Williams’ tweet. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!
— J D U BðŸ’°ðŸ’« (@Jarren2Williams) May 9, 2017
Fingers crossed for a recommitment in the next week or two!
7. Rest in peace to my arch-Twitter-nemesis, Big Black. Christopher “Big Black” Boykin passed away at 45 years young on Tuesday. The former Rob & Big star and I had our share of beef back in the day, but it was all in good fun (although Rob once told me Big really, really, really hated me). Through all of his Kentucky hating and Louisville loving and comments about my mother, I still liked Big Black because he was awesome on their show and seemed to be a blast to be around, and it’s sad to see him go.
Maybe will do this fight on the other side one day:
8. Teleportation. De’Aaron Fox wishes he could do it.
— NBA Draft (@NBADraft) May 9, 2017
Fox is already the closest thing to teleportation when he takes the ball the length of the court.
9. Charleston, South Carolina. I’m going today. Never been. Can I get some recommendations? I hear it’s a lovely place so I am sure I will enjoy everything, but let me know if you think there is something in particular that I need to see or do or eat or whatever.
10. Ryan Lemond returns. Matt’s right-hand man is back on air today after a day off from the show. Tune in to hear his voice because I know you missed it yesterday.