Shepard Smith, Mark Brown and a Bourbon Shortage’s Wednesday News and Views

mark-brown

A KSR reader passed along this interesting video from Fox News of an interview between Shepard Smith and Mark Brown, the President and CEO of Buffalo Trace. It’s supposed to be about the bourbon shortage in Kentucky but the interview takes an interesting turn when Smith hears Brown’s accent.

“I guess you’re a Cardinals fan and a Wildcats hater, is that right?”

“Um no, actually I’m a Wildcat fan.”

Now for a tall glass of News and Views…

Slice said coaching at UK is a dream come true.

New UK assistant Barry “Slice” Rohrssen held a press conference on Tuesday to introduce himself to the media. He opened things up by thanking everyone who has made the transition easy, and recalling the day when he first visited Lexington as a helper at one of Joe B. Hall’s basketball camps in the 80s. “It left an indelible impression on me,” he said of his first time seeing UK and the Big Blue Nation for the first time. “So being here now is basically a dream come true.”

Slice told the story of another camp he worked many moons ago, the famous Five-Star Basketball Camp, and making a new friend that week. It was his roommate at the camp, one John Calipari, who he said was consumed by the idea of becoming a basketball coach at the time. “He knew he wanted to be a coach from the first day I met him,” Slice said of his new boss. “He’s got a very clear definition of what he wants to do in his life and he’s gone on to do that. There’s no greater place than here.”

Rohrssen admitted to having discussions with Calipari about coaching together in the past, even at Kentucky when Cal first took the job. This time around he couldn’t turn it down.

“He’s been very kind,” Slice said of Cal. “I better take it this time. There may come a time when he doesn’t ask anymore. I’m sure there’s a long line of people that want this. Every year, the line gets longer.”

Archie Goodwin got arrested at a skating rink; his mugshot isn’t a good look.

Say it ain’t so, Archie. The former Wildcat was arrested on Cinco De Mayo at a skating rink in Little Rock. The arrest report says a trooper heard him cursing and “exhibiting aggressive gestures” toward another person outside the Arkansas Skatium. The trooper told Goodwin to stop cursing twice before going in for the arrest. Goodwin then tried to break out of the trooper’s hold, adding a resisting arrest charge to his disorderly conduct.

When news of the arrest broke on Tuesday, Goodwin tweeted, ““Don’t assume if you don’t know the whole story.” He has since deleted the tweet.

It’s unclear why he is wearing a bandage over his left eye, or how he managed to find trouble at a place that advertises like this:

Coach Cal is alive and recovering from hip surgery.

I was beginning to wonder if Coach Cal was alive after his longest silence in his five years in Lexington. He broke that silence Tuesday on his website with a message and a story from Florida:

The physical therapist came and met with me yesterday and we went out and walked for a bit. As we were getting done with physical therapy, he turns to me and says, “I know how much you want to skip steps and get this over with, but you just can’t. Your body won’t allow it. Just do a little bit more every day. If you get to the point where you’re trying to do too much, pull back.”

He then looked me dead in the eye and said, “No matter how much you want it to, you’re not going to make this go faster than it’s supposed to go. It’s a process”

Sound familiar? I told him, “Jeez, this sounds like building a basketball team with a bunch of freshmen.”

Cal said he is doing fine and getting better everyday.

24 Hours of Ryan Lemond Radio is officially a thing.

Lemond will take over the WLAP airwaves for an entire day on Thursday, May 22. His run will start during Thursday’s KSR and end with Friday’s KSR, so, technically, it’s 26 hours of Ryan Lemond radio if my math is right.

I am volunteering to do the night shift with Ryan and I promise you won’t want to miss it. We can say anything when the sun goes down.

Lexington will get a daily afternoon replay of Kentucky Sports Radio radio beginning Thursday.

Beginning Thursday of this week, Kentucky Sports Radio radio will re-air on 1580 AM in Lexington from 4:00 to 6:00 pm everyday. If you miss the morning and need some KSR for your afternoon drive, now you have it.

We have a Mister Cobble sighting in Denver.

The former Wildcat tried on helmets with his new team. Nice shirt.

Tubby and Donna met the President on Monday.

@BlayneBeal

Coincidentally, Monday marked the 17-year anniversary of Tubby’s hire at UK. Tubby was introduced by C.M. Newton as the Wildcats’ 20th head coach on May 12, 1997.

That’ll do it for now.

See you back here tomorrow.

Article written by Drew Franklin

48 Comments for Shepard Smith, Mark Brown and a Bourbon Shortage’s Wednesday News and Views

1. blueberrygillispie
    10:45 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Shepherd Smith deserves to spend a night in the hole with pat forde im sure pitino would accommodate.

• Fox Noose
      6:52 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Look at Shepard Smith’s face and eyebrows.

He seriously resembles a tranny.

2. RandyBarker
    10:53 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

FYI: Shepard Smith is an Ole Miss grad (not in Journalism) and is one of the far-too-many liberals on FOX News. Got in an email arguement with him one time when he declared something as The Truth when it was just his opinion. This is another case where this “straight news” man didn’t do his homework. Not knowing where Buffalo Trace is made (not Tennessee) is indicative of his investigative reporting.

• pseudonym
      10:12 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

“Far too many liberals on Fox News”??? What are you smoking?

3. me
    10:57 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Liberal, conservative, Fox News, or whatever…he’s doesn’t appear to be very good at his job. Came off as kind of a jack ass too.

• NashvilleCat
      11:23 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Kind of a jack ass is right. It’s like he was searching for ANY reason to hate on Mark Brown. I don’t get it.

4. boo boo
    11:23 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

So the police can brutalize and arrest citizens for the use of profanity and “aggressive behavior.” Interesting. And here I thought we lived in America.

Take the fascist pig to court. Put his out of a job and on the street.

I hate fascist cops!

• Haha
      11:31 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Wasnt on public property.

• Elwood Blues
      11:40 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Let me guess, you’re 15 years old, your favorite band is Rage Against the Machine, you wear a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt to school every day… You have no idea what happened. Lol grow up dude

• FlySoup
      1:21 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Elwood… ur about 15 years too late for a 15 year old to like rage

• el hombre juan
      3:51 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Hah a 15 year old listening to decent music that has an actual message behind it besides screw, steal, keel (as they pronounce it.) Beats by dre don’t play dat, homie!!!

On another note, you don’t know the facts either. Unless the owner of the property called the cops to have him removed, I would really like to know this pigs reasoning in arresting him. Shouldn’t have been acting like an idiot but the fact of the matter still remains: pigs can and will overstep their bounds and illegally detain you for unlawful reasons. You just have to be smart about how you choose to resist. Camera phones are handy too. I would guess over half don’t even know the constitution and laws they are sworn to uphold and protect. Oh well, what do you care. I swear, I don’t even know why I comment on here. I have nothing in common with most of you other than a love for wildcat basketball. …and most of you are asses about that too.

• Duff
      8:30 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like a bull shit charge to me. Probably some dumb ass cop who just arrested him and charged him for being black.

5. UKCatfan
    11:42 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

I saw on the CNN website today Actor Alec Baldwin was arrested for riding a bicycle the wrong way on a New York street. I will not give my opinion an Archie’s or Alex’s arrest because it makes me fearful I could get arrested. LOL,,,GO CATS!!

6. Bill
    11:44 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

…another good night in Paducah for the Bat Cats – UK scores in only one inning tonight and loses to Murray (yes, Murray!) 4-3 in 12 innings – Bat Cats Coach Gary Henderson making UK proud!

7. KyRacer
    11:49 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Shepard Smith is an Ole Miss grad and a hater when it comes to UK Basketball and Cal.

8. Amanda Lou
    11:52 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

Please say you and Ryan will be taking calls during the night shift of the radio marathon. If so that is sure to be radio gold!

9. honest
    12:03 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Love cal, but I miss me some tubby

10. Blue Truth
    12:15 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I hope Archie gets 20 to life.

11. huck
    12:18 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

It seems that Smith has lots of hate. I’m surprised that type, of what ever you call it, is OK.

12. Kevin C.
    12:54 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I wonder if Archie tried to make them “eat they feet”….literally?

13. Distillery worker
    3:59 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Shepard seemed more interested in sarcasm than actually understanding the bourbon industry. A little home work ( bourbon, Kentucky, come on man! ) would have revealed that Buffalo trace is in Central Kentucky and a National Landmark.

14. iucansuckabigblue....
    4:25 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I assume this is common knowledge by now. I remember hearing once that Mr. Smith met a ”friend” in an airport then back to the hotel for some… relations.

And just cause your on tv doesn’t give you an excuse to make an a$& out of yourself. What a jerk. But hey, he did go to Ole Miss… snickers

• Fox Noose
      7:15 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

………..For the record, I presume your reference to Mr. Smith is one ‘Shepard’……..and not Orlando ‘Tubby’.

Had me momentarily semi-perplexed.

15. Dan
    5:44 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Tubby- better check your wallet when you leave

16. arlo
    6:09 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

was archie on roller skates when he was arrested—hence the bandage–maybe?

17. timer
    6:53 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been looking for a new bourbon ever since Maker’s gave $500K to ul. I may have found it….

18. Edith Bunker
    7:07 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

………But OhARCHeeeee…..

19. BurnerTurner5
    7:18 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I thought Tubby had more sense than to hang out with that Marxist bastard.

• You Go!
      7:50 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

You are really awesome Dude. Quote me some Marx while you’re at it. You just show them Commie Jerks!

• Karl Marx
      7:59 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Show your face, you weak-willed Fascist.. I am long dead but I can still kick your butt! By the way, the production of too many useful things results in too many useless people. You are a case in point!

20. Rodocz
    7:19 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

I think Smith just became my punch him in the face favorite. I would truly enjoy blasting him back to a less arrogant time in his miserable existence.

21. JoeMoney333
    7:38 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Shepard Smith gives one hell of an awkward interview.

22. Duuuuuude
    8:20 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Seems like this should have been the easiest interview in the world with Mr. Brown. I really dob’t understand how Shepherd Smith could have made it so awkward. My gosh.

It would have been nice to learn why Tubby was meeting with the president. Knowing Tubby, I am sure he did something great! The current UK coach can hang with Drake and Lebron, but has to win a national championship for the opportunity to have a meeting with the president.

23. JPL
    8:20 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Drew,

I thought this blog was from Louisville? Have you learned nothing from the Louisville press? The press doesn’t cover favorite team arrests. Wait…Wrong team. The Cards Press will blow this up to something close to attempted aggravated assault.

• Tard Logic
      10:24 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Fret not – Archie was hacked. It wasn’t him. And the mugshot is Photoshopped. Non-story.

24. James K
    8:31 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

A couple things recently have made me feel like I am on the on-ramp to feeling old: 1) a friend’s son was watching NBA fights and I showed him the 2004 Malice at the Palace and his first reaction was a strong ‘OH MY GOD THIS IS OLD SCHOOL!’, which I resented because that’s when I graduated high school.

2) Tubby came to UK 17 years ago. Holy shit. When you start to think about it you realize a crap ton of hoops happened in that span, but I remember Tubby accepting the job very vividly. This is a sobering moment.

25. RC
    9:08 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

The bottom line is this- if a police officer asks you to calm down or shut up, you do it. I can state from personal experience in college that ignoring a police officer can and will get you arrested. I was drunk and deserved it. Goodwin was probably (1) drunk and/or (2) being a belligerent a-hole. Either one is grounds for arrest if you IGNORE and RESIST a police officer.

Save yourself the trouble and sit down, shut up and be polite when Law Enforcement asks you to do something. It’s just not that hard to do.

• wut
      9:44 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Goodwin was probably drunk and/or belligerent, because one time you were. Cool story.

• Shawn
      3:56 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Well he was obviously belligerent. And the guy Is right, he was probably drunk. Do sober people usually hangout outside skating rinks challenging people to fights? It looks like someone popped Archie In the eye as well and Im glad they did. Kid Is a d bag and I wish he would have never came to UK.

26. 8&Counting
    10:19 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

The coaches were touring the White House and spoke about leadership to members of the military at the Pentagon.

27. Don
    10:32 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Shephard Smith is an asshole..Came off in that interview as an arrogant jerk,very rude. Would love to punch him right in the face if I ever saw him.

• Fox Noose
      6:55 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Don’t hit a woman….a tranny?

That’s O.K.

He is/was an azz Whole.

28. Come on
    10:44 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

If Archie was in the wrong , OK take responsibility and don’t repeat. I have been in the hands of a shore patrol clod while the other idiot was still punching me , hard to be passive. Archie is still a Wildcat ,literally.
    Who is Shepard Smith? Really awkward interview. Seemed not to know much about the subject or Mr Brown who correctly just laughed off the ignorance.

29. May 22 is my birthday.
    11:02 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for ruining it.

30. catdaddyd
    11:17 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Tubby with the Prez, celebrating his wonderful season at Texas Tech.

31. Daniel McNally
    11:35 am May 14, 2014 Permalink

Those sound like some highly dubious charges against Archie Goodwin. Cursing is a crime? What exactly does “exhibiting aggressive gestures” constitute? And resisting arrest charges can be handed out by cops for even the slightest lack of obedience/cooperation, not to mention that Americans have the right to resist false or unlawful arrests.

• Shawn
      3:53 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

1. Its called disturbing the peace and If their were minors around It Is lude behavior. I cant even believe someone would argue that Its ok to curse loudly at a place where kids are present.
      2. Flipping someone the middle finger or challenging them to a fight can easily be tagged under inciting violence.
      3. No, we do not have the right to resist unlawful arrest. False arrest by someone imitating a police officer…yes. But, we do not have the right to resist unlawful arrest. Being placed under arrest Is not a negotiation. They are given their job to interpret and enforce the law. The negotiation and debate part of It comes when you go to trial. If an officer tries to put you under arrest and you pull away, yeah that pretty much the definition of resisting arrest. Face It, Archie Is a clown, just like the one tatted on his arm.

32. Shawn
    3:41 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Archie never belonged at UK. Before you throw stones at me saying Its because he got arrested you would be wrong. Terrence Jones has been arrested and he belonged here at UK and we will see him come back. Players like Orton and Archie never belonged here and we will never see them again. I mean come on, other than his wink and his wild falling drives to the basket….what do you remember about Archie? I bet most people cant even remember what number he wore at UK.