We have a Mohamed Bamba recruiting update!

5208640

With Kevin Knox reportedly announcing his decision tomorrow, all eyes will turn to Pitt grad transfer Cam Johnson and five-star big man Mohamed Bamba, Kentucky’s final targets in the 2017 class. I gave you an update on Johnson in the wakeup post, and now, thanks to our friend Aaron Torres, we have an update on Bamba. Sort of. Torres caught up with the 7-footer from Harlem at practices for the Ball is Life All-American Game, which will take place tomorrow afternoon in Long Beach, California. Unfortunately, Bamba told Torres that he’s still not close to making his decision.

Meanwhile, Torres said most of the people he’s talked to at the practices says Kevin Knox is headed to Florida State, which is pretty surprising considering Duke seems to be the heavy favorite.

Earlier this week, Matt told you that he’s hearing that Bamba’s recruitment is a toss-up between Kentucky and Texas. PJ Washington, Jarred Vanderbilt (UPDATE: Vanderbilt not listed on the current roster, likely due to his mysterious injury), and Bamba’s EYBL teammate Quade Green are also participating in tomorrow’s all-star game, making this their final chance to put in a good word for Kentucky with Bamba. Hopefully he’ll keep their pitch in mind as he goes home to make his big decision.

17 Comments for We have a Mohamed Bamba recruiting update!

1. 8xchamp
    11:28 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Starting to care less about the young drama queen.

• Ricky
      11:59 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Some one says this every year about the last UK recruit to announce. Relax a little bit, the season is 5+ months away.

• ukbradstith
      3:05 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

What makes him a drama queen? The fact that he’s not making a choice fast enough for, I’m assuming, a grown man such as yourself?

2. Mc12
    11:31 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Is this also some sort of Vanderbilt update in a sense?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:06 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Just found an updated roster and Vanderbilt is not on it. So, there you go.

• Mc12
      12:26 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Cool thanks. I tore my Achilles’ tendon playing football and it may be my PTSD but that was my instinct when he went down.

• AllBlueAllDay
      12:52 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

That would really suck if that were the case. That is not a very speedy recovery process.

• Mc12
      1:12 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

For me, I was just a little older than him but I got to about 95 percent in about 6 months and have never been 100 percent. Hopefully it was something else

3. UKPopcat
    11:32 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Same thing I was thinking on Vanderbilt. Hope he does play tomorrow. Any idea where to find the game on television?

4. Eli
    11:53 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

Knox’s recruitment has been the only one that’s more of a crapshoot than Bamba’s. Zero inside information whatsoever. To call Duke a ‘heavy’ favorite is blasphemous. Wouldn’t have it any other way because if he goes elsewhere Duke fans know what it’s like to be us. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any occurrence where Duke has missed out on a top recruit they really thought they were going to get.

5. a21CATSfan
    11:55 am May 5, 2017 Permalink

I was really hoping Knox would decide to pick Kentucky by default, meaning he wouldn’t have to upset Duke or UNCheat. But looks like Kentucky will be in that group as well, as he chooses the Legacy route by default.

6. dballrb
    2:13 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m currently in the greater TCA,from the talk around here,there’s a slim to none chance that he commits to UK,and slim just left town.

7. Rick_S
    2:43 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Bamba is a drama queen same as Bolden last year..He’ knows where he’s going

• ukbradstith
      3:04 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Or maybe he just wants to take his time with probably his most important decision of his life? How do you know he knows, or for that matter Bolden? Where did you hear that?

• BigBlueMeade
      3:15 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

This kid is exceptionally smart, he was considering Harvard for a while for goodness sake. He isn’t posting cryptic tweets or anything, he’s making one of the most important decisions of his life. Sorry if it is taking too long for you.