The folks here at KSR love getting your input on things… relevant and bizarre. We have to get a little creative around here sometimes. Last summer I started a weekly series called “We Ask You Wednesdays,” that brought in some great responses from many readers via Twitter.
Each week, the question will change and we will hit on a variety of topics, mostly UK-related… but you never know. Each week the best responses will make it on to the website. This week’s twenty ninth volume of the “We Ask You Wednesday” allowed Kentucky fans to answer the following question via Twitter in 140 characters or less: WHAT’S YOUR BEST ADVICE FOR NEW STUDENTS ARRIVING ON UK’S CAMPUS THIS WEEK?
Know your role people.
@AllyTuckerKSR DO NOT play pick up on court 1 at the JC if you don’t know what you are doing. Go to court 4
– Ross Uminger (@RossUminger) August 26, 2015
That sounds like a good way to lock in that victory lap…
@AllyTuckerKSR Freshman or sophomore year take a 12 hour spring semester and enjoy March Madness for all it’s worth.
– T.J. Walker (@TWalkerRivals) August 26, 2015
Those things do make me slightly nervous…
@AllyTuckerKSR remember that you can’t win a National Championship if you break your ankle riding a Phunkeeduck to class.
– Lil Joe B. Hall (@LilJoeBHall) August 26, 2015
That’s a given.
@AllyTuckerKSR Appreciate the Cheddar Tots from Tolly Ho. Mmmmmmm Cheddar Tots, and try to go to class
– CouchCat (@scottcouch14) August 26, 2015
I’ll just leave this here…
@AllyTuckerKSR air soft guns are highly frowned upon.
– Travis Graf (@KarlG42) August 26, 2015
@AllyTuckerKSR Get rain gear. Treat college like a job (it’s what you’re there for). Try to keep a schedule and study when you need to study
– David Mulloy (@David_Mulloy) August 26, 2015
This will make more sense after you read the next response…
@AllyTuckerKSR Get the Apple Care. You’ll probably need it.
– Tyler Thompson (@MrsTylerKSR) August 26, 2015
See? Apple Care.
@AllyTuckerKSR for the sake of your laptop and books- get a good water resistant backpack. Just trust me on that one. ðŸŒ‚â˜”ï¸
– J.C. Ausmus (@JC_KSR) August 26, 2015
I had one semester at Transy where my earliest classes were 12:00. Best semester ever.
@AllyTuckerKSR don’t schedule 8am classes. You think you can do it but end up regretting it.
– Aaron Perkins (@Aaron_Perkins21) August 26, 2015
Bathroom secrets are crucial to life.
@AllyTuckerKSR find the teacher bathrooms in all the buildings. They are cleaner, and nicer.
– Hayley Minogue (@hayley_minogue) August 26, 2015
I’ve somehow managed to never own or use a planner for more than 3 days in my life. I’m still here.
@AllyTuckerKSR buy a planner and write all due dates in it. Use it religiously.
– Courtney Hessler (@Hessler_KSR) August 26, 2015
College is the time of your life. Or it should be anyway.
@AllyTuckerKSR enjoy it. before you know it, 4 years have flown by and it’s time to enter the big world.
– Alex Priar (@A_Priar94) August 26, 2015
@AllyTuckerKSR go to class. Keep a schedule. Work out three times a week. Study. And enjoy the best time of your life.
– Al Courington (@alcourington) August 26, 2015
Enjoy those Tempur-pedic mattresses, you little divas.
@allytuckerksr In the Student Center…oh, wait, no. Living in the Towers is…oh, nope. Your TwinXL bed…never mind. You know what? I’m out.
– Erin Waggoner (@erinwaggoner) August 26, 2015
Very true. You always think you’ll stay in touch with everyone.
@AllyTuckerKSR Friends you make early in college, may not be the people you hang out with when you graduate. You and they change in 4 years
– Richmond Bramblet (@rbramblet) August 26, 2015
I’ll add “branch out” to that… If your ONLY friends after college are still all of your friends from high school… you missed the boat.
@AllyTuckerKSR nobody cares what you did in High School and you actually don’t know anything about anything.
– AWD (@awdahl14) August 26, 2015
These are the staples.
@AllyTuckerKSR Don’t skip class and do your homework. Seems simple but it took me 3 years to figure out.
– Andrew Cassady (@ACassady_KSR) August 26, 2015
It’s a trick!
@AllyTuckerKSR Do not sign up for credit cards.
– Chris from Paducah (@univerky) August 26, 2015
– Ryan Strange (@LilGoat5) August 26, 2015
More bathroom tips…
@AllyTuckerKSR the cleanest bathroom in the dorms is always the one in the basement because no one knows about it
– Tyler Haertzen (@thrtzn) August 26, 2015
Yeah, do this.
@AllyTuckerKSR wear the lanyards they give you…they are cool!
– TK (@thomasthekidd) August 26, 2015
… Kidding. (This was the most popular answer this week… by far)
@AllyTuckerKSR don’t dare put a lanyard on your neck. Buy extra strength deodorant and stay away from bikers.
– Wilder Treadway (@Wilder_Treadway) August 26, 2015
@AllyTuckerKSR don’t wear a lanyard
– Havana Childers âœŒï¸ (@HChilders326) August 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER OF THE WEEK:
Live it up, folks. It goes by fast.
@AllyTuckerKSR go for the experiences even when it hurts your wallet or studying. You can always make more $ or study more but you can’t get
– Jay Hochstetler (@JDHarness) August 26, 2015
@AllyTuckerKSR that time back. If your friends want you to go out. Do it. Spring break to FL? Do it. College is about experiences
– Jay Hochstetler (@JDHarness) August 26, 2015