Watch UK upset undefeated Indiana with Cawood on the mic

Oscar Combs tweeted out a link to this video earlier today, encouraging all UK basketball fans to give it 37 minutes of their time. It’s of Kentucky’s 1975 NCAA tournament win over previously unbeaten Indiana with Cawood Ledford on the call.

Very cool to watch:

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for Watch UK upset undefeated Indiana with Cawood on the mic

1. Ridge Runner
    5:42 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Awesome.. Classic indeed.

2. Ridge Runner
    5:44 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

–and I simply love the way only Cawood could get on our case (so to speak) when we were not executing. He loved our Cats but called it like it was too.

3. kittylitter
    5:47 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Even in 1975 everyone knew Bobby Knight was a dick.

4. gary
    5:47 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Saw this game as a teenager. Probably the sweetest upset in UK history. Bobby Knight shows his true self. Jimmy Dan gets riled up right at the end. Loved that team.

5. Segregation
    5:47 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Look at all them crackers.

6. tim
    5:48 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Still in my mind the greatest Kentucky win of my lifetime!

7. Freethrow
    6:03 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I remember that game well. I lived directly across the street from Mike Flynn just a few years before that. I graduated high school with his older brother Steve. I was wound up at the end of that game, for sure.

I sure miss Cawood. Great to hear his voice.

8. CreepyCrean
    6:11 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Indiana was hoping that 2012 would be the year they’d finally get their revenge. Too bad, lol. Watching Indiana suffer is like watching a fly struggle to get out of a cup of milk, even as the hapless fly declares his superiority as he wallows in his perpetual inferiority. Sad, funny, pathetic, and strangely entertaining.

9. dgags
    6:15 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

The game that turned me into a Kentucky fan for life. But was JD’s foot on the sideline when he caught that last inbounds pass?

10. brain
    6:18 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

In a game for men only UK’s freshmen really stepped up.

11. Rixter
    6:23 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Two observations:
    1. Was this game in 1975, or 1875? I’ve seen footage of Abraham Lincoln that’s clearer.

2. With 5 seconds to go, as UK is inbounding the ball (just before Jimmy Dan Conner gets into the fight), the inbounds pass comes into Conner, and he CLEARLY STEPS ON THE SIDELINE, but the ref doesn’t see it. If IU gets the ball at that point, might have been a different game. WHEW!

12. iamthebobcat
    6:24 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

My senior year in HS – the party at Memorial Coliseum when the Cats returned home that night was epic!

13. barn
    6:34 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I wish there was some way we could lock boob knight in a puerto rican jail and make him watch this video while a joe b lookalike continually slaps him in the back of his head

14. UK FAN
    6:40 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Bob Knight won’t shake Halls hand. Funny hearing him blasting 1 and done (Cal) while he was one of the biggest POS in coaching history. Prick

15. pfife
    6:43 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Happened before I was born, but awesome to watch. I also like that after a held ball, there was a jump ball and not the silly possession arrow.

16. Old Timer
    7:06 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I was at the game and sat among a hord of Indiana fans. My younger brother almost started a fight
    as Kentucky was ahead by about ten points near the end of the game. It is still my favorite game of all time.

17. Kevin Janeway
    7:07 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I was at that game! It was incredible!

18. Jerry Vaughan
    7:07 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

How does this footage appear after we had been told all this time that somehow NBC (?) had lost it, didn’t record it, or whatever? That story might be rather interesting as well!

19. bigcatstanding
    7:20 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

that was great to relive, a couple things came back to me while watching that, the 3 point line has made the game exciting in ways, but in other ways has made our kids nowadays not nearly as efficient. Couldn’t believe all the 15 to 20 foot shots going down and even closer something that’s no longer seldom ever seen these days. I will say jump balls make the game a little more exciting, also would like for Coach to show this video to these kids, because surely if they can score 80 and 90 points back then without a three point line, surely wouldn’t be a problem nowadays right lol. I remember a couple years later when Givens and Kyle Massey played in the championship game Givens scored I believe 41 points, those were some good day. CAT’S HANGING #9 IN 2014 THEN GO TO THE BEACH AND HANG 10 LOL

20. Tom Blevins
    7:21 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I remember watching that game over 38 years ago. It was one of Kentucky’s greatest wins ever. That team played some awesome basketball.

21. bigcatstanding
    7:28 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I was at that game, this rock n roll star named Elvis had a seat reserved next to mine, but believe it or not didn’t even bother to show up lol. I think the total attendance for that game was four hundred thousand something just kidding I hope you guys really were there that would have been awesome.

22. Wild Blue
    7:48 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

One of my favorite all time teams at UK. Too bad this group of players didn’t win the championship that year. Biased refs gave it to Wooden.

23. From Cincy to Lexington
    7:55 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I-75 resembled a reception line.

24. I WAS THERE
    8:14 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I WAS THERE !!! Indiana fans thought they were it.

Kentucky played great!! Great defense!!! Givens a freshmen played great

Wow Kentucky played a 2-3 zone and a 1-3-1 zone.

Bobby was NCAA No Class At All

Bobby, you lost it with your technical, live with that the rest of your miserable life.

25. Al/in/Indy
    8:14 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I was a manager at a Indpls. Pizza hut at Troy and Madison listening to the game with Cawood calling it I was ringing a customer out when I heard the CATS just defeated the unbeaten Hoosiers, I let out a yell that scared the customer almost out of their shoes. When they asked why I was so happy, without thinking I told them my CATS just beat IU……The guy threw a $20.00 at me and stormed out of the store. That’s when I knew I wasn’t meant to work with the public, at least in Indiana…..

26. sprtphan
    9:06 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Also my senior year in high school and as far as i am concerned the greatest win of my lifetime. remember it like it was yesterday. always love hearing cawoods voice too.

27. Robert Montgomery Knight
    9:31 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

I was at the game. One of the top 2 or 3 games I have attended. Awesome!

28. Chaz
    9:32 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the link, Drew. You can go to the youtube page and get the UK vs UCLA title game also. Spoiler alert – we lost.. but it’s a chance to see the ’75 team again. I thought these games were gone forever.

UK vs UCLA 1975 title game

29. Bluecat
    9:56 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Great to watch and listen again, I was working that day and heard it on radio, never dreames I’d ever see it again. I think what we just watched was actually filmed by the UK sports dept and someone dubbed Cawood sound over it. The camera angle tells the tale, it was not network quality. Kenny Rice a Lexington television sports personality once did a tv doc on this game and used some of these same clips which we just saw. I videotaped his special which aired sometime in the late 1970s on my Sony Betamax. It is buried somewhere in my archives. Haven’t watched it in years, don’t remember if Cawood sound was dubbed onto Rice’s version or not.

What I learned new tonight was that “someone” out there has beem holding this audio recording of Cawood’s call of what proved to be one of the greatest basketball games in UK history. Shame they never made it avalable to all of us diehard wildcat fanatice who would die for a copy of that great day. Oh well better late than never. I’m now sixty-five years old and was twenty-six at the time of that game. GREAT MEMORIES! On On UofK!”

30. cathalchan
    10:54 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the memories! This rates as one of the greatest UK games in history, period, and that includes the 8 championship games.

31. Chaz
    11:00 pm September 24, 2013 Permalink

UL vs UCLA 1975 ncaa tourney-start watching at 1:12 and tell me if a certain UF veterinary prof was moonlightlng as a camera man when he was a student.

32. musrat59
    4:24 am September 25, 2013 Permalink

This is the first time that I have ever seen any film of this game. I lived in Cincinnati and the game wasn’t shown on TV and I listened to all of it on the Radio with the late, great Cawood Ledford. This was, without a doubt my all time favorite win over Bully Knight and the Hoosiers. Man, those freshmen grew up after that beatdown in Bloomington in December of 1974. I was really, really happy for Coach Hall after what happened earlier that season. I am 69 years of age and This would rate as one of my favorites of the Cats. I am glad to have finally seen some footage of the game.

33. FurdTurgason
    8:03 am September 25, 2013 Permalink

It amazes me how many people defend Knight to this day. “He did things the right way.” Really?

It looked to me like anyone who made contact with Benson in those highlights was whistled for a foul.

34. ribin
    9:06 am September 25, 2013 Permalink

Was at Memorial Coliseum when they returned to Lexington — quite a scene. Still proud of those guys and that win. !!!

35. C...A...T....S....CATS!
    1:06 pm September 25, 2013 Permalink

SO glad this video was discovered and put on the web for all CAT FANS to see.

I was a young lad living in Chicago when our CATS beat the Hoosiers…

What amazes me today is the fact we no longer play Indiana, and some consider them a “non rivalry” or “unimportant” opponent. There ARE no excuses for removing Indiana from our schedule…NONE! This is one CAT FAN who wants them back on our annual opponent list…

36. Turkeyblue
    1:56 pm September 25, 2013 Permalink

Found myself getting upset by all the bad calls. I didn’t know Tony Greene and Doug Shows referred back then.

37. David Cook
    2:25 pm September 25, 2013 Permalink

My late brother and I were at that game. We sat in the IU cheering section. Brings back great memories. Thank you

38. Frank mattingly
    5:02 pm September 25, 2013 Permalink

How does a person purchase a copy of that game