Watch the future Cats play in tonight’s Jordan Brand Classic

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 12.14.11 PM

Got plans tonight? Either cancel them or set your DVR. All four of Kentucky’s 2014 signees–Karl-Anthony Towns, Trey Lyles, Tyler Ulis, and Devin Booker–are playing in the Jordan Brand Classic at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

The guys have been in New York all week preparing for the event, and each has turned heads in their own way. Bleacher Report’s CJ Moore says Trey Lyles has the best stroke of any of the big men in the Classic, and would be surprised if he’s NOT the starting four for UK next season:

Lyles is really skilled, can score facing up and has great hands. Everything he does is fluid and fundamentally sound. Even with a really crowded frontcourt, I would be surprised if Lyles is not the starting 4 for the Wildcats.

Depending on who comes back, I doubt that’ll be the case early on, but Lyles is definitely turning heads this week.

A few matchups you should definitely keep an eye on tonight are Tyus Jones vs. Tyler Ulis and James Blackmon, Jr. vs. Devin Booker. Jones is headed to Duke, and considered one of the premiere point guards in the class along with Emmanuel Mudiay, but Ulis’ stock has been rising after an impressive performance in the McDonald’s All-American Game. A few analysts have said he’s better than Jones, so it will be fun to see them go head-to-head.

With Blackmon vs. Booker, you’re not only getting a showdown of two of the best shooters in the class, you’re getting an early taste of the Indiana/Kentucky rivalry. Blackmon was ready to commit to the Cats, but changed his mind at the last minute to go to Indiana, a decision I can’t help but wonder if he’s regretting now.

Go future Cats.

20 Comments for Watch the future Cats play in tonight’s Jordan Brand Classic

1. Mc
    4:37 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I’d bet Lyles as the 4 right off the bat. He’s good inside/out. He can also shoot free throws. Plus he’s a solid passer. Guess we’ll see. Nice problem to have.

• Mc
      4:40 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Also, IU/UK is not a rivalry. We’ve owned them the past quarter century. It may have been a rivalry to our grand parents. They haven’t even been the best team in Indiana this past decade. Butler has. Crean is overrated.

• ukbradstith
      7:39 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Depends on what part of the state you are in. I live in southern in, right across from Louisville, and iu is my personal biggest rival. Lots of folks along the border really miss this game. I’m older (36) so I remember how incredible that game was.

• Mc
      7:54 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been a UK fan since about 1990 and it’s been so one-sided that I can’t consider it a rivalry. I guess to those who watched pre-1990 maybe it was over a quarter of a century ago.

2. kybb
    4:46 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Totally forgot that this was tonight. Gracias por posting

3. HUH
    4:50 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Why is there a 12 year old in the pic?

4. Real deal
    4:54 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Certainly don’t want to set expectations too high, but Mr. Lyles is very fundamentally sound. With a couple more inches in height, people would compare him to Tim Duncan as the Big Fundamental. No, I am not saying he is Tim Duncan, just possesses the all around fundamentals. A Carlos Boozer comparison could also be true, just hope he is aggressively rebounding compared to Boozer’s lack of enthusiam in the league currently.

5. Teachable Mo'
    5:09 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Lyles is standing right behind Towns and look to be the same height. If Towns is a 7 footer so is Lyles.

6. HUH
    5:17 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Lyles is clearly a couple inches shorter than Towns. Noons is 6’11, not 7 ft. Lyles is 6’9′. Booker looks taller than 6’5. Ullis is nowhere near 5’9′, more like 5’6

• Teachable Mo'
      6:36 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I have no idea what you mean by “clearly”. Not only are the tops of each head on the same line, but Lyles is standing slightly behind Towns which would make him appear shorter to the camera. Towns may be taller but you couldn’t use this photograph to prove it.

• ukbradstith
      7:33 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Yeah towns has by about 2 inches in that pic.

7. HUH
    5:18 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I have no idea why I wrote Noons..lol. I meant Towns.

8. Harmon Ealy
    5:19 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Can’t wait to see all these guys suit up with the guys staying.. Gonna be an awesome year !!

9. somerset bill
    5:31 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

“A few analysts have said ulis is better than Jones…” i hadn’t heard that. dialing my anticipation level up an additional one point. would like to hear who and why.

on the other hand, ulis is standing almost exactly like booker. and the camera is making booker look taller than he is. so, if the camera is making ulis look taller than he is… dialing it back down a notch.

but, then again, this from the bleacher report article sounds great:
    “will make every Kentucky game DVR-worthy for his entire career in Lexington.”
    “he has been my favorite guy to watch during the two days of practices here in New York.”

10. Curious
    5:51 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Is that Spud Webb on the left?

11. bokees
    5:53 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Has anyone found a live steam link for the Jordan Brand classic game tonight>>?

12. ukbradstith
    7:36 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I’m a lifelong fan of the derby classic. Love that event. Wish some of these guys would play in that instead of the Jordan, but I know that will never happen. Oh well, still have my memories of nazr not being able to cross half court, and shagari winning MVP one year.

13. Rex
    8:36 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Is anyone as annoyed as I am that the announcers make it sound as if he twins are gone? at lea twice they have made it sound like Ulis will be our point guard next year. Don’t get me wrong. I am very excited about him but lets not make it sound as if the twins are gone.

14. Hmmmm
    8:38 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Watch a nationally televised game full of All Americans or go to a run down, caramel corn smelling, arena to watch a bunch of turds that could only manage to get an invite to a dead basketball game.