Watch last night’s military surprise in Rupp Arena

military-surprise

During a timeout in the first half of last night’s game, Zachary Moody, a senior airman in the U.S. Air Force, surprised his family by returning home from deployment.

The Owingsville, Ky. native was seen on the video boards giving a message from what we were to believe was Afghanistan, but we soon learned he was actually steps away from the Rupp Arena floor, where his family was in for a special surprise.

These get me every time.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Watch last night’s military surprise in Rupp Arena

1. SmartCat
    10:42 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Thank you for your service Airman Moody!

2. Smyrna_Cat
    10:56 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I appreciate the service of our soldiers … but do we really need to do so many military surprises? These just seem a bit too overly dramatic, don’t they? What not just tell the family there are coming and have a reunion? I think that would be good for everyone.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

STRONGLY disagree, Smyrna_Cat. With all the bad stuff happening in the year these days, we absolutely NEED more things like this. God, Country, Family, Love – these are the important things in life. The rest is just window dressing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Meant to say “bad things happening in the world”, but I think you catch my drift.

• Don’t be a Grinch Smyrna Cat. I TOTALLY agree with you about injured vets in your statement below, but can’t we do both?

3. J-Dub421
    11:23 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

That’s awesome!

4. Smyrna_Cat
    11:57 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

RealCatsFan, I agree about God, Country, Family … etc. I just don’t see how these “military surprises” really move the bar forward. I would rather see that level of support for our vets who are injured, etc.

• RealCatsFan
      12:08 pm December 10, 2015 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more that we need to support those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, or nearly done so. I just don’t see the harm in surprising someone, although my wife made it clear that she would never want to be proposed to in public before I married her. 🙂

5. AllBlueAllDay
    12:16 pm December 10, 2015 Permalink

Videos like this get me right in the feels every time

6. Melvit
    2:47 pm December 10, 2015 Permalink

How many of these videos do they show, with the family out there, that the soldier doesn’t make a surprise visit? Wouldn’t that suck for that family? You know they would have to be thinking in the back of their mind that the soldier might be showing up.