WATCH: Damien Harris Says He Picked Alabama at Last Second

(Alabama Athletics)

Either Damien Harris is a pretty good liar, or he made the most important split-second decision of his life.

In a sitdown interview with CampusLore, former Alabama running back and Richmond, KY native, Damien Harris, explains how he chose the Crimson Tide. Apparently, the one-time five-star high school recruit had planned on picking the Wildcat as his college of choice, even when it came time to sit down and make the official announcement. But something moved his hand to the red hat instead of the blue and white one.

“I was 100 percent going to Kentucky,” Harris says in the opening of the video.

Obviously, things changed – rather quickly, apparently. Harris switched to ‘Bama at the literal last second and the rest is history. Harris finished with over 3,000 rushing yards in Tuscaloosa, won a national championship in 2017, and was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft. But Kentucky ended up with Benny Snell, so who really won in the grand scheme of things?

I don’t believe you even in the slightest sense of the word, Damien, but it sure does make your story a bit more interesting.

I think Kentucky fans will gladly take the end result. Both parties ended up better for it when it was all said and done.

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Covering all things NBA. Follow me on Twitter: @ZackGeoghegan

32 Comments for WATCH: Damien Harris Says He Picked Alabama at Last Second

1. Dee
    10:16 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Berea not Richmond

• Bereacat
      11:14 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Damien is a Richmond native. He went to high school in Berea. Pretty sure he lived in Richmond then

2. yoshukai
    10:22 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah right . On the day you announced you said you had given a silent verbal to Bama a month ago . You’re just a liar and we were better off with Benny anyway .

• notFromhere
      2:37 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Exactly right, Yoshukai. Next thing you know, he’ll go into politics and say he was never given anything and had to beg for food when he was in college.

We already knew he was a liar. Eventually we knew he would confirm it. Fits right in on the Patriot roster. No sympathy from me if the liar gets hurt and can’t play another down.

• StillBP
      6:47 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I am not a fan of Damien but to say what you said about him getting hurt is a hell of a lot of butthurt on your behalf. Good grief. To wish a man’s career is ended just bc he didn’t pick your college football team and lied about his choice is pathetic.

• MrPioneer
      8:49 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Hey notFromhere, you need to find help, man. You just wished a career ending injury on a guy because he didn’t choose your school when he was 18 years old. That’s not a thought process that a normal, logical person has. You’re pathetic.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

notfromhere, that is not cool. In all seriousness, if you really want him to get hurt, you do need help. It’s football. We’re not trying to cure cancer here.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      1:14 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

Not to help out notfromhere but he didn’t wish he’d got hurt he simply said he wouldn’t care.

• JASUN74
      2:02 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

Notfromhere, I don’t know where that come from from you but man you’re better than that. I agree that he lied and took advantage of Kentucky for gear and food and all that stuff that goes from getting recruited hard by Kentucky,, WHO CARES??? but to say anything about a young mans career and health, is not right.

You can still wish he would’ve pick Kentucky without saying atulike that. I like you a lot buddy, but that’s not right. I’m sure you didn’t really mean that but come on brother.

3. zoupman
    10:58 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Whatever. Don’t believe a word this guy says.

4. UKInsider
    11:11 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Total liar. He is playing to the Alabama fanbase and state of Kentucky. Do you think he’s going to retire in Tuscaloosa? No, he will return to KY and is trying to get in the good graces of the Blue and White. Want further proof that he is lying? Watch the All American game where he cheers for other ‘Bama players that committed to Sabanville. Harris was a very good college player, but Benny was the best RB at UK, ever. Meanwhile, he’s doing nothing in the NFL and carrying Sony Michel’s jock strap.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:17 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

You beat me to it about the other guys and their commitments.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:16 pm January 2, 2020 Permalink

Mmm, yeeeeeah. And I’m the king of Siam. I remember how much he geeked when the one kid committed to Bama at the all star game.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:04 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I also remember his photo tweet posing with the natty trophy saying something like “People ask me why I didn’t choose _______. This is why.”

6. cats646
    12:40 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Benny was way better so I’m glad lol

• notFromhere
      2:39 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. Said it the day we got Benny. Said it when we saw what he could do. That POS doesn’t have the heart to be a Wildcat, and he showed it with the cowardly lie

7. blueballs80
    1:15 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Who gives a shit what he says? Lyn Bowden put more yards in a season than he did in 8 games.

8. BigTimeOwen
    4:51 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

He would have sat behind Benny anyways, or shared some somewhat more time than AJ Rose at most. Definitely worked out for both programs the way it happened.

9. StillBP
    6:49 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

For people who are glad he didn’t choose us, you all sound pretty bitter that he didn’t choose us. I’m glad he didn’t, but lord have mercy, why are yall so butthurt?

10. kjd
    7:11 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

Water under bridge. Means nothing.
    Next.

11. BigBlueFoo42777
    7:18 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

I get what he is saying I was almost about to care what he had to say then at the last second didnt give a %$#

12. Dark Soul
    7:39 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

He didnt have the heart to help change a program. He wanted the easy way out and along came Benny. Even with a national championship which back has the better legacy? I’m glad he chose the easy path

13. notFromhere
    11:43 am January 3, 2020 Permalink

For those whose emotions got the better of them when reading the comment-

“No sympathy from me if the liar gets hurt and can’t play another down.”

That does not say that I want him to get hurt. He just won’t get any sympathy from me. If you cant understand the difference, have a 2nd grade teacher explain it to you.

• MrPioneer
      3:09 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

Nice job of backtracking. We all know what you were implying. Reading all of your comments on here, you sound like a bitter soul with the emotional maturity of a 2nd grader.

14. JASUN74
    2:25 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

He definitely lied to that guy and was all in for Alabama. But, Hell yeah I wish he would’ve chose Kentucky!! Yes I love Benny Snell, but to think our running backs room wouldn’t have been the best in the country with him is crazy. Talk about a one two punch. Lol.

Saying that, he used the Staff and knew for at least a month he was going to Bama. I knew this was coming and he would eventually try to make Kentucky fans and the State think it was a hard choice for him. Most instate kids would/should have a hard time leaving Kentucky, but he didn’t.

Now I wish him the best and hope he does well for his family, but as far as wanting people to believe that, he’s living in la la land. Lol You can’t have it both ways young man, you’re Alabama’s Now!! Maybe he and Wandale can join some kinda talk group ( The wish I would’ve picked UK Club)!!, after their playing days. Lol

15. BluKudzu
    3:50 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

Yawn……

After reading this, I am no less or more of a fan for someone that went somewhere else to play.

Best of luck to him the rest of his career.

16. BobbyBlue
    4:11 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

Why KSR would give this liar, even one line of publicity is beyond me.He deliberately led Stoops and staff on and on for the perks.
    KSR even deleted my post because I mentioned why he stayed at Sabanville for a 4 th season.
    For the record he moved with his mother from Michigan, to Ky so he was not an invested Ky native. My granddaughter graduated from Madison Southern,with him in Berea, She said he was obnoxious, and arrogant, classmate.

17. 4everUKBlue
    4:18 pm January 3, 2020 Permalink

Damien who??

18. UKgrad80
    9:47 am January 4, 2020 Permalink

If it was a surprise pick then why didn’t his mother looked surprised? This guy is such a big liar!! So glad we got Benny instead not only for his talents but just such a better person!!!