WATCH: Crane crashes through roof of West Louisville home

Imagine sitting at home, watching the Wednesday coverage of the Masters, when all of the sudden a crane barrels through the roof of your home.

Some version of that situation happened earlier today when a crane toppled over in west Louisville and sliced through a neighboring roof like butter. Luckily no one was injured, reports WLKY, but there is significant property damage and one embarrassed crane operator.

Photographer Scott Eckhardt shared this aerial view of the damage on Twitter:

You can watch live coverage of the next steps on WLKY’s Facebook page:

Stay safe out there.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for WATCH: Crane crashes through roof of West Louisville home

1. BLUEVADER
    4:16 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

I cannot understand how crane operator set up like that. You want your boom as vertical as possible. The more you boom and telescope away from your base and out riggers the less weight the crane can hold. Soon as I seen that I wondered if that dude even went to crane school. You must get certified and must understand your load charts for each specific crane. Angles and weight. Dude I bet didn’t have credentials at all and don’t know shit about Load Charts. He was way to extended with weight he had. He should of set up on opposite side with Boom being more vertical. I went to Heavy Equipment Vocational school.

• 2andToodleLoo
      4:19 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

I wonder if he had credentials? Probably not.

• jim tom
      6:40 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

Yep. I work in construction safety in Cincinnati. It’s amazing some days what I see. None or expired inspection record. No lift plans, expired operator license etc etc

2. BLUEVADER
    4:17 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

No way a competent crane operator knowing load charts sets up like that no way. Bet dude didn’t have credentials.

• ibescootch
      1:49 am April 8, 2021 Permalink

I don’t even need to ask, I can see from here that guy don’t have credentials. I don’t see any load charts, credentials, or crane school diplomas posted anywhere in that cab. Dude probably financed his water bed too.

3. UKBigBlueForever
    4:28 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

I would bet he wasn’t credentialed

4. 4everUKBlue
    4:56 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

My guess is he didn’t have credentials….

5. ekywildcat
    5:38 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

There’s got to be more to the story. Anyone would know that can’t work.

6. dcforuk
    9:06 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

It’s not a problem…….until it is!

7. truebluefootballfan
    10:42 pm April 7, 2021 Permalink

Boom trucks are a joke, they’re the most unstable of cranes and sadly required nothing more than a common DOT physical in order to drive or operate last time I used one. They have very low capacity and very little turn radius with the boom fully extended, even with no load. Accident waiting to happen. Any legitimate business has acquired an actual mobile crane by now.