Was Mac Jones’ deleted tweet directed toward a UK coach?

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 10.05.05 AM

Lost in all of last night’s Mac Jones hysteria was a tweet Jones quickly deleted after sending it out to his followers.

Jones wrote, “Nothing but respect to the program yet an old man is acting like a 12 year old.”

That tweet came shortly after Darin Hinshaw’s “sub-tweet” about life-changing decisions, which was obviously about Jones’ flip to Bama:

So is Jones’ tweet about Hinshaw?

Some say yes, but my assumption is no. If I were a bettin’ man, I’d bet it was directed toward one of the many UK fans tweeting hateful things to Jones about his flip. As always in cases like this, there were personal attacks sent directly to Jones, and though we can’t see them all, my guess is some “old man” took things too far.

Or was it meant for Hinshaw?

Either way, someone rubbed Jones the wrong way by acting childish.

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Was Mac Jones’ deleted tweet directed toward a UK coach?

1. Mathlete
    10:31 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

Being able to DM or tweet at total strangers (especially kids!) has to be the worst feature on Twitter. At least Facebook has some semblance of protection against that with their filters and friend requests, any creep with an IP address can harass anyone else.

• Han
      11:09 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

If you want people to see your thoughts and post them for everyone to see (Twitter, a public Facebook feed, etc.), you deserve any harsh lessons that come your way. You don’t get to say whatever you want in the real world and have no negative reactions, so why should you be able to do it on social media?

• Mathlete
      1:06 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

I’m talking about the cowards who harass kids, celebrities, or total strangers for no real reason (like changing commitments to another team in this case, or that poor mom whose kid fell into the gorilla cage at the Cinci Zoo and took endless flack from people who acted like that gorilla was their favorite family member).

Keyboard “warriors” drive me insane, they would NEVER have the guts to say in real life what they spout off online, and there’s nothing on Twitter to stop them short of blocking them one by one as they come through.

2. Basteballer
    10:45 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

It was about Hinshaw and it was deserved.

3. SmartCat
    10:49 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

I think it was directed at Hinshaw, although I’m sure that some fans also sent ugly messages. I think most UK fans feel “played”….again. I am wondering how our coaches found out about his flip. Did he notify them beforehand, or did they find out when he tweeted his decision?

4. Sentient Third Eye
    11:07 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

It is impossible to accurately express any idea with nuance on Twitter. That’s not what it was designed for, so the person attempting it always looks bad. Why do people have so much trouble learning this simple truth?

5. chimichanga
    11:20 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

Every football fanbase is filled to the brim with man-children. That’s just how it is.

Also, Lane Kiffin needs to be put out of our misery.

6. jman3715
    11:23 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

Who cares to be honest. It’s not like any of this is damaging our great football reputation. College football recruiting is a joke and is absolutely irrelevant until someone signs on the dotted line. That’s why I now ignore all the Yahtzee crap. Signed bitter old UK football fan. grumble grumble grumble

• Kyblue34
      12:20 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

Totally agree. I don’t know why so many fans get so sensitive about reputation, and wanting our coaches and other fans to always act with the utmost class. Football recruits are going to do what they want, and they couldn’t care less about which programs have positive reputations and class. If they did, then there are several programs that wouldn’t even have a team, including the school just down the road. They care about winning and getting to the NFL, and they don’t care who they have to make and break promises to.

7. UKInsider
    11:25 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

Bring Slice back to UK and he will magically get Jones to flip again AND walk on to the basketball team.

8. rnet
    11:30 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

Everyone needs to quit being so sensitive. If the kid wants to go to Alabama, so be it. UK football will be good with or without Mac Jones. Jeez

9. david8577
    11:30 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

This is the main problem with the internet. Anyone, regardless of IQ, is allowed to use it.

10. Kyblue34
    11:47 am June 8, 2016 Permalink

Jones lied multiple times to our coaching staff and did not honor his commitment. Sorry, but why should he get any respect? He certainly doesn’t deserve it. Just because he says “respect” to our program on twitter doesn’t mean he’s actually shown us any. Actions speak louder than words. Not going to get on twitter and bash anybody, but I do not respect Jones or his decision.

• The Professor
      12:14 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

I guess you know that our staff is currently out recruiting kids that have committed to other schools already. Give the kid a break. He is 17 years old making the biggest decision of his life. It is natural the allure of a top program would be enticing. it is the same thing we offer in basketball.

• Kyblue34
      12:53 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

And I do not support our coaching staff recruiting kids that have already committed elsewhere, but I know it’s a part of the game. Cal absolutely does not do this in basketball, so it’s not the same thing at all. Sorry, but kids learn in kindergarten to not lie and break their promises. A 17 year old is not a kid in that regard. If there was even a shred of doubt in his mind, then he should have not committed in the first place. It’s clear that our coaching staff was caught off-guard by this. At the very least, he should not have continued to tell our coaches that his commitment was firm multiple times(and he even stated that he was “married” to Stoops) when that clearly was not the case. So, it’s okay for the kid to straight up lie for months because he is 17? I chose my college when I was 17, and I did not even consider changing my mind. It’s really not that difficult to keep one’s promises. The NCAA is a joke for allowing football recruiting to continue like this.

• louisvillelaw22
      1:15 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

I will agree with you 100% when college sports are required to honor their scholarship offers for all four years regardless of performance. Then we’re talking about commitment. But as long as colleges can yank offers (they can) and terminate scholarships for any reason they want (they can) it’s a joke to think that a kid’s commitment should somehow be greater.

And you didn’t give your college a second thought? Were you hoping to get to the NFL at that college?

• inside info2
      1:29 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

Hey Kyblue34, Cal absolutely DOES do that. Do you remember T Jones? He committed on national tv and Cal did everything he could and successfully got him to flip on that commitment.

It happens in all sports, everywhere. It just happens more in football. Part of me understands it, because it is a huge decision for a kid. And I don’t blame M Jones for choosing Alabama (although as many have pointed out, the odds don’t look too good for him there). What I do blame him for is leading the fan base on like he did. So, in this instance, I’m not too concerned over the beating he’s taking on twitter. I personally wouldn’t go there to bash him, but I can see why some fans are frustrated.

11. plumloopy
    12:00 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

Don’t be Memphis fans circa 2009, everyone.

12. deltasig41
    12:09 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

This is why getting a commitment early in the recruiting process means nothing. It’s bad enough in basketball, but in football it is seemingly a part of the culture. Kids commit, decommit, recommit, flip, then recommit again all the time. I’ve never understood why kids even do it. And I don’t understand why fans get excited when a kid commits. If he hasn’t signed, his “commitment” is meaningless.

So, I’m not even remotely surprised, or upset about Mac Jones’ decision. To me, he was never a Wildcat to begin with, no matter what he may have said on Twitter for months. A signed LOI is the only thing that means anything. THat’s why signing day is such a spectacle. Coaches hope and pray and stand over a fax machine that the letters they expect to receive come in. And, almost without fail, one or two surprises (either good or bad) will happen.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:25 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

That is the only attitude to have about this process. And it is why they need to stop using the word “commitment”. It is NOT a commitment. It is a non-binding pledge, and that is all.

• hweathers
      7:38 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely right, commitment is the wrong word. I did not expect to keep him even when he said as late as March in a HL article he was solid for UK.

13. Laker Cat 18
    12:25 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

Commitment just doesn’t mean as much as it used to. That’s not only in football, that’s in life as well. I don’t blame the kid for going to Alabama, but I do blame him for stringing Kentucky along for a very long time. We most likely missed out on other QB recruits because of it.

14. jahanc2uky
    12:30 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

Mac Jones better man up. This was cold blooded and the fans of UK recruiting have just as much a reason to be upset as an Alabama fan who expects to win every game. If Mac Jones doesn’t live up to expectations, how harsh are those fans going to be towards him? Much more harsh that any UK Football fan, talking smack to a teenager about a false commitment.

15. bbnboy2012
    1:02 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

It was absolutely for Hinshaw. 100%. He also retweeted a UNC commit responding to Hinshaw’s tweet with “really bro?” But eventually deleted that as well. It was meant for Hinshaw, Franklin.

16. Sentient Third Eye
    2:46 pm June 8, 2016 Permalink

What is it about Twitter that makes it totally impossible for anyone to use it without sounding like a 12-year old, someone with a 4th grade education, or both? People have been trying for over ten years now, and not one person has ever succeeded in coming across well while using it. You would think that with a few trillion attempts already made, the “blind squirrel” rule would apply at least. Not in this case. Color me bemused.