Photo: @Tanner_Tabor

Photo: @Tanner_Tabor

Photo: @Tanner_Tabor

Travis Perry is considered by many scouting services to be one of the top 8th graders in the nation.  Perry, a point guard, led Lyon County to a 21-10 record last season and has the Lyons off to a 16-9 start this season.  He averaged 21 points as a 7th grader and is averaging 26 points this season, good for 4th in the state.  Perry has an all-around game but what probably stands out the most is his superb ball-handling skills.   His father, Ryan Perry, is the Lyons coach.

Travis Perry is not the first highly regarded player to come out of Lyon County.  Ty Rogers scored 3,300 career points for the Lyons (good for 10th all time in state history) and went on to play for Western Kentucky.  In 2008, his buzzer-beating 3-pointer lifted the Hilltoppers to a 101-99 win over Drake in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Lyon County High School is located in Eddyville, 35 miles east of Paducah.  The Lyons play in the 2nd region.  Here is their remaining regular season schedule:

Feb 11, 2020 Hopkins County Central home 7:30 PM
Feb 14, 2020 Union County away 7:30 PM
Feb 15, 2020 Clarksville, TN home 7:30 PM
Feb 18, 2020 St. Mary away 7:30 PM
Feb 20, 2020 Hopkins County Central away 7:30 PM
Feb 25, 2020 Livingston Central home 6:00 PM

Article written by Troy Howell

Follow me on twitter @ teeroyhowell

32 Comments for Want to see one of the top 8th graders in the country play? Go watch Lyon County

1. nocode96
    8:16 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

Born and raised in Lyon County. I’m a couple years older than Ty, but I can attest that Ty was the real deal. Can also say with 100% positivity that Travis is going to be twice as good as Ty was. Ty was an outstanding student and model citizen, and today he still does great things for the sport and for kids and is an amazing father. By all accounts, Travis has the same type of attitude and work ethic. Lyon County doesn’t get much recognition, we don’t even have a football team, but we’ve pumped out some great athletes over the years considering our super small size. Glad to see Travis getting some recognition here as it’s usually small eastern Kentucky schools that get any love on this site. Hope to see this kid in a UK Jersey one day, so does he…I believe. He will truly embody what all of us fans want in both sides…homegrown kid that understands that Kentucky across his chest, but good enough talent to make his way as a starter from day one in blue.

2. CombatMedic_98
    9:39 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

I am so sick of the KY HOLDBACK mentality… How in the world would you hold a kid back to play against “weaker/less competitive” players and then say “wow, my boy is the greatest”! I see this as a sickness with parents in my neck of the woods. I almost laughed in a Coaches face when he said, “You ever thought about holding your son back another year…man he’d be awesome next year…?!” I said for what reason? He responded, “he’d get us a championship for sure with the team coming up!” I politely responded, “why would I hold my kid back to play ball against 13/14 year olds as a 13 year old that’s completely dominated against almost every team we’ve played that are 90% holdbacks (15/16 year olds still in the eight grade…LOL) and he just turned 14…uhhhh NEGATIVE. Are these people blind and stupid. You PLAY UP not DOWN folks…HOLD Backs that play against younger/weaker competition is embarrassing. I would be ashamed to have MY son dominating against 13/14 year olds and 15/16. The separation of musculoskeletal development at these ages are significantly different. Especially on the football field. It’s alarming this happens in Eastern BY-God KY and who knows where else. Pitiful.

• wyatts1
      11:12 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

Are you so dense or just plain stupid to think this type of thing happens in ky only?? Look, if I was you I wouldve been offended as well and laughed as I walked away, but this isnt a ky mentality (and I’d damn sure argue that it isnt) but it’s a small town issue and last I checked ky isn’t the only state that has small towns. Growing up and raising kids myself now in paintsville, I can honestly say I’ve never heard of this. Moral of the story is dont throw this state under the bus cause some middle school coach crossed you. Kentucky proud here, take that BS back to whatever godly state you came from

• CombatMedic_98
      12:12 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think you understand…I am talking that HALF this town thinks holding kids back is LIFE in itself as if they are all gonna be playing at UK and then on to play with Lebrun…it’s consumed generations here…and yes I am from KY…been gone for a few days though…

• Middy
      1:05 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

I understand your point and agree (just don’t bring up Terry vs Gunnar! Lol). Less than 1% of high school players get to play DI hoops. Only 4% play college ball at any level. Getting to play at a blue blood program like UK is a hundredth of one percent…. holding someone back is not going to change those odds or help them. If anything it may hurt them because they won’t learn to fight through adversity as much. Holding kids back for the sake of sports is idiotic.

• Middy
      12:34 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

For the first time ever, I agree with CombatMedic… you play up not down. People who play their children down are chumps. Not only do you give your kid a false sense of confidence, you steal joy away from other kids who are age appropriate. I’d say all competition should be based on DOB but I’ve seen so many photoshopped birth certs in AAU ball that it’d be pointless. People cheat and play down everywhere not just KY. I don’t understand it because by the time they’re 17-18 their physiques have evened out. You have what God gave you and you’re either good enough or your not. All that being said, if this 8th grader is playing varsity ball, that’s tough. Objectively, there is an asterisk though. If your school is so small that it doesn’t have football, the competition is also probably small and not very good either. My 8th grader scores 20 ppg at the local Y playing up against high schoolers, vs 8th grade AAU in the burbs 12 ppg, vs AAU ball in within Houston 7 ppg. It’s all about the talent pool. Kentucky isn’t big to begin with. That’s why there aren’t many homegrown players much less stars at UK. I just watched some of this kid’s AAU highlights and all I can say is take it with a grain of salt. He can hit open threes and has a nice looking stroke, but didn’t see him performing against high pressure defense. I’m around the 8th grade AAU scene a lot, and have been to local, state and national tournaments. There are some 8th grade athletic freaks out there and it only takes 30 seconds to see the difference. I didn’t see any of them in his videos and I’m betting they’re not living in Lyon county. I went to UK when Travis Ford was there and I always thought it was funny how the white kid from KY could do no wrong. It would be a nice story for an in state kid to channel his inner Jimmy Chipwich and lead UK to a title. Hopefully he does. More than anything … I hope this 8th grader gets to enjoy a successful basketball career in high school without psycho expectations.

• ttabor
      1:32 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

This is a National site, the kid has played in most every major tourney across the country and they thought enough of him to rank him 6th. But he must not be very athletic…I will just say this. He isn’t the most athletic, but I have yet to see anyone be able to shut him down. He was able to put up 26pts against the Madisonville NH team that is currently ranked 4th in the state (KY HS Basketball) and has a 6’7 pt guard that just committed to Tennessee Tech. He is an 8th grader, has the potential to be one of the best to come from WKY in a long time! Thanks to KSR for highlighting some of these kids coming up in the state and giving them some publicity. Reed Sheppard has a lot of potential, so does the Porter kid at Ashland. These kids have played ball all over the country and been recognized on a national level and it’s nice to see them get some local love. Internet trolls talking trash about an 8th grader are the worst. If you wanna see how good he is for yourself, take the advice of the article and come watch him play. Not too many kids have been ranked this high in the country from KY so these opportunities don’t come around that often. Enjoy!

• Jpcat15
      3:46 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

The kid is ranked nationally by people that do it for a living. It remains to be seen how he evolves over the next 5 years but to be ranked as a top 10 8th grader is pretty darn good. Time will tell if he is U.K. good, but it will be fun to watch how he and Shepherd develop. I certainly would not bet against Sheppard considering his gene pool.

• CombatMedic_98
      9:24 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Thanks Middy

3. BoogieDMC
    9:43 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

He’s 14 years and 9 months old. That’s pretty bad. Most 8th graders are 13 turning 14. He’ll be 19 when he graduates.

4. CombatMedic_98
    9:49 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

My children will play UP not Down…! It’s modern day CHEATING and the parents are the problem. I’d NEVER hold my children back to play against smaller/less competitive teams…! That’s like taking new Soldiers to the Army to Graduate Basic Training/AIT but, not send them on to their units so the NCO’s (experienced leaders) can coach/teach/mentor properly. We’d never hold back ANYONE just to hold back for “extra practice/training/whatever” so they’d be better next cycle or next year. NO Negative that don’t even pass the common sense test…! You train and send them UP to the big dogs and bring them up with their peers and through individual hard work, effort, and practice THEY get better at ALL things through their squad/team demand on that Soldier to do their job and best of get passed up and “sit on the bench” per say. We’d never send them BACK to training with Privates/LT’s…we’d be the laughing stock of the world…! I am not sure if this mentality is of ignorance, stupidity, or BOTH… someone help me understand this mentality in KY

• ttabor
      11:27 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

He has played up for 2 years. Started varsity as a 7th grader and averaged 21pts. That’s playing up against kids potentially 6 grades ahead of him. This season he is playing up again and averaging 25 a game (vs high school kids). He has played basketball on a National level since he was in the 2nd grade. Bronny James is held back 10/6/04 class of 2023. He is 7 months older than Travis who is class of 2024. Reed Sheppard is held back as well. That’s what kids do on a national level. Only problem you have is he probably kicked your kids ass at the KBA for several years and you are still pissed and it shows.

• ttabor
      8:32 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Sorry 5 grades ahead of him.

• Bluehender
      7:40 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it CM-98…

• CombatMedic_98
      9:25 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Shhhhh no one asked u

5. BoogieDMC
    10:11 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

Even worse than your analogy. Those ages are when kids are hitting or not hitting puberty. He’s obviously hit puberty and at least half of what he’s competing against are children.

6. Big Sexy
    10:34 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

Cheating? What rule is it specifically breaking? Some people want their children to be a little more mature when they go to college. Maturity. Sounds like something you could use. Besides, isn’t he playing against 17-18 year olds. Somehow he has the unfair advantage of being 14? Doesn’t make sense.

• BoogieDMC
      10:56 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

He’s not breaking any rules. Didn’t realize he was playing HS basketball, if he is. Good for him, but he’ll be 19 when he’s a senior. The unfair advantage comes in a few years.

• Big Sexy
      11:56 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

How is it unfair? When basketball season is over he’ll still be 18(turns 19 in April or May). Does he really have a great or “unfair” advantage over kids who turn 18 in the fall or winter? Not really. Is UK at an unfair advantage every year by having younger kids? Is it unfair for Tyrese Maxey to play against a 22 year old? By your alls rationale it is.

• CombatMedic_98
      12:14 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

And it’s people like you that Play the system…

• CombatMedic_98
      12:37 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

Supposed to play up GUY…

• Big Sexy
      8:50 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

And it’s people like you that whine because other kids are better than your kids.

7. rickpitinoshairplug
    10:56 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

Interesting. How did the dad get
    The job as coach? Why did the coach from last year leave?

8. rickpitinoshairplug
    11:22 pm February 10, 2020 Permalink

Also, it is my understanding that he does play with the middle school team at Lyon county too.

9. Jpcat15
    8:25 am February 11, 2020 Permalink

If the kid has played varsity basketball as a 7th and 8th grader that is the ultimate example of playing up, not back. Jeez, how can folks complain about a kid scoring 26 a game at the varsity level as an 8th grader? What am I missing here? Why can’t we celebrate having 1 of the top ranked kids in his class in the entire country? If him and Sheppard end up as top 50 recruits when it comes time to pick a school, I hope that school is U.K. If top 100, I hope they end up at U.K.!

• Bluehender