Wall Street Journal: New York bourbon catching up to Kentucky’s

Ready for the biggest BS you’ll hear today? The Wall Street Journal published an article yesterday entitled, “New York Bourbons Are Nipping at Kentucky’s Heels.”

Oh yes, the article claims that New York bourbon — specifically from Brooklyn — has overtaken Kentucky bourbon thanks to distilleries like Kings County, which is co-founded by Kentucky native Colin Spoelman; Black Dirt; and Hudson Whiskey.

“I think New York distilleries are leaders,” Spoelman said.

But wait, if bourbon isn’t made in Kentucky, it isn’t bourbon at all, right? Depends on who you ask. Federal regulations don’t actually require bourbon to be distilled in Kentucky; they only mandate a specific recipe and process, which has led to a influx of out of state craft bourbons on the market in recent years. That being said, Kentucky’s limestone gives its bourbon an unique taste, which is why I have a hard time believing New York’s can beat it.

Stick to beard oil and beet toast, Brooklyn. Leave the bourbon to the experts.

[WSJ]

[mobile_ad]

19 Comments for Wall Street Journal: New York bourbon catching up to Kentucky’s

1. Mathlete
    3:07 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Nothing like water straight out of the Hudson River for bourbon… distilled bodies and diapers really add a one-of-a-kind flavor you can only get from the finest distillers in NYC.

2. lexcatfan2367
    3:13 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I know of Colin from Harlan. Do I trust his garbage-water bourbon: no. I guess the next thing they’ll say is that college basketball is better in NY.

3. earlytimz
    3:31 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Never mind the years and years of history and tradition that goes along with Ky bourbon.

4. binarysolo
    3:33 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

As a UK grad living in Brooklyn this upsets me greatly. Go ahead and make your own “bourbon” you GD hipsters, live your life, but when you start making these bold (false) claims you’re gonna get put in your place.

5. TomEcaster
    3:39 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I have a bottle of Hudson whiskey, it was a gift, best thing I can say about it is that it’s an OK mixer

6. makeitstop
    4:12 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Give me a break. A couple distilleries producing tolerably good bourbon isn’t “nipping at our heels” it’s just entering the same graded stakes, but never challenging. The performing arts center in Louisville is pretty nice and does Broadway shows, is it “nipping at Broadway’s heels”? Sheez… New York Bourbon (eye roll, dismissive snort)

7. jaws2
    4:17 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Seriously? No really, SERIOUSLY?!!!
    I’m stunned, stunned I tell you, that a NY based paper writes this. Next it’ll be NY has the best burgoo! What a bunch of arrogant pricks.

8. Troll Slayer
    4:29 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I wonder how much those distillers paid for the WSJ to publish this fake news article

9. rogerd
    4:37 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

As someone who loves good bourbon, I don’t care how good some NY or Virginia (Virginia Gentleman has been made for years) bourbon is, I won’t drink it. There is enough good Kentucky bourbon to fill my needs and more. And no, I don’t drink Tennessee whiskey (JD) either.

• CatManDo
      8:19 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

100% agree, no Tennessee stuff ever. And you can replace KY bourbon with NY bourbon when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

10. weaver606
    5:06 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

This is BS indeed. I’m a Madison County girl living in NYC. I’ve converted many a drinker to Kentucky bourbon. Nothing else will do. I’ll admit New Yorkers may do many things better, but not BBQ, basketball, or bourbon.

• CatManDo
      8:21 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Fellow Madison Countian here, keep up the good work!

11. Bull Filmer
    5:14 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Well, they do say the water in NYC makes the dough better contributing to some of the the finest Bagels and Pizza. So they may have a claim as it pertains to NYC water.

However, if a Bourbon is not from KENTUCKY then it’s an imitation.

12. Grazilla
    5:19 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I can speak to the pictured Kings County Distillery Bourbon. It was a gift from a vendor. There’s no way it’s aged longer than 4 years. It wasn’t terrible, but saying it’s better than KY product is so so laughable. Here’s another case of people from NY thinking that anything from NY is superior.

13. runningunnin.454
    5:24 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Hogwash, how long is it aged; 3 months….or a New York Minute.

14. makeitstop
    7:28 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

Let’s just tell them their bourbon is the best thing ever so they stop buying so much of ours u can’t find it locally!

15. RexRox
    6:33 am May 5, 2018 Permalink

There are some very good bourbons distilled/bottled outside the Commonwealth (Belle Meade, Garrison Brothers, Old Scout) but to say that any other location is “nipping at the heels” of the Kentucky distillers is simply crazy talk. IMO, the best of the New York bourbons is Hudson Baby Bourbon, which I do try to keep among my 50+ bottles.

• runningunnin.454
      8:38 am May 5, 2018 Permalink

You’re kidding, right? They put a bag of oak chips in, and heat it; then, they pump in low frequency sound waves, all this to “mimic” the aging process. You can’t tell me a 3 month “bourbon” is not hotter than hell.
      I’ll stick with Wild Turkey 101 or Jim Bean Black, thank you.

• runningunnin.454
      8:40 am May 5, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha that is Jim BeaM, of course.