Walk-ons, football and candy bars (Wednesday Show Thread)

What do walk-ons, football and candy bars have in common?

They’re all topics on this morning’s edition of KSR.

Tune in to find out.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

67 Comments for Walk-ons, football and candy bars (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:49 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

What are wrong with people.

Thoughts and prayers for the camera guy and reporter.

• Big Curt
      9:59 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Some scary times we’re living in……..
      So sad….

10:12 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

There are a lot of sick SOB’s out there.

2. Big Curt
    9:53 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

My thought exactly, UK_JB

3. King Kelly Coleman
    10:13 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Can’t prevent it but you can try and be prepared for the unknown by carrying a concealed weapon.

4. Nothing will stop ALL violence, but guns in the hands of good guys will mitigate it. Read the “Armed Citizen” column on the NRA-ILA site. Many situations that would have turned into mass shootings are stopped by armed citizens. Also don’t forget the guy in Oklahoma who shot the terrorist who had killed one (beheaded the victim actually) and was in the process of doing the same to another.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:17 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I will take heat for this and I am OK if other disagree with my viewpoint. When folks started removing God from everything is when all of this started to be more prevalent. God is not allowed in schools or public places anymore. I’m a firm believer that when you take God out, you let everything else in. Mass/random shootings are way too common now than they used to be. No one can deny that.

• Big Curt
      10:22 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree, too. The argument is why would God let that happen? The answer is He didn’t. We asked God to leave and He did what we asked.

• realme
      10:24 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s definitely more about the evil and or sickness in our society, than it is about more guns or less guns. Can’t disagree with you, turning toward God as a culture would help, but I don’t see that happening. Cue the scornful atheist comments.

10:24 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I will respectfully disagree. People have done atrocious things throughout history in the name of religion. I think it is due to the lack of good mental healthcare. Reagan did some good things as president, but he set mental healthcare in this country back by decades. Mental health issues became taboo to talk about, and treatment facilities were defunded during his regime. This was a huge mistake, and we continue to pay the price today.

• realme
      10:28 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s both. Some killers are mentally ill, and some are depraved and evil.

• Big Curt
      10:30 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub421- I couldn’t agree more with your religion statement. Again, I know this thread will get made fun of, and that’s OK. I can deal with it. But religion is the problem. I hate religion, to be honest. What I love, is a personal relationship with God. Religion is man’s search for a god. Christianity is a close personal relationship with God.

Now, on to UK stuff.
      Go CATS!!

• realme
      10:33 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Curt I would agree but add that unfortunately things that people do and say in the name of Christianity are part of the reason our society rejects God.

10:36 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

For the record, I have no problem with religion, just people’s perversion of it to try to push their own agendas which seems to be the norm. There are people who never go to church and are good, kind people. There are people who go to church every Sunday who are despicable people.

10:37 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I’m glad we can all have a reasonable discussion about this like adults. 🙂

• Big Curt
      10:38 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

realme-

Agreed. The thing to remember is we are human and imperfect. God help me if I’m ever the reason someone rejects God.

• realme
      10:41 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I feel like we need a group hug now.

• J-Dub, some have done atrocious things in the name of religion, but nowhere in the New Testament do Christ nor any of his apostles or New Testament writers condone such.

Big Curt, Christianity is by definition a religion. If one truly has a personal relationship with God, he/she is a Christian and a member of the Christian religion, and follows Christ’s teachings (all of the New Testament, not just part). I’m speaking of the church Jesus loved and died for (Ephesians 5:25), not a man-made religion. I encourage anyone reading this to read the NT with an open mind and heart, and not to take any man’s (including mine) word for it.

I don’t know about the Reagan defunding thing, but there are also laws that prevent cops from getting the mentally ill off the street because some view it as a violation of civil liberties. Realme is right in that some killers are just pure evil. I believe the Bible bears that out.

• BtownUKFan
      10:43 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub421…I agree as well. When mental health facilities were defunded and people started talking about their inability to manage their mentally ill family members it was only a matter of time that we were going to face the consequence of having mentally unstable people mixed in with society. That fact that it is very easy for these people to get their hands on guns excserbates the problems and the incidents that occur. Having or not having “God” around is not the issue. Many people that are atheists or agnostic have a very strong sense of right and wrong.More so than many people waving the christian banner (think Josh Duggar).

• Devil
      11:01 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Chris…your God murdered every human on earth with a flood (you know, the only one without sin) except for the one person he says was responsible for all the evil (devil). The fairy tale makes perfect sense I guess!

• Big Curt
      11:17 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Chris gettlefinger-
      I somewhat agree with you, but I don’t consider religion. It’s deeper than that. People can do all sorts of things religiously. There are people in this thread that trash people religiously.

• Number xiii, I don’t claim to have the answer to every question that an atheist or agnostic can throw out. I do know that God is sovereign and His ways are not always our ways (Isaiah 55:8). I also no that man is a free moral agent and there are consequences to our choices, and sometimes those choices affect others.

I would encourage you to not only read the Bible with an open heart/mind, but go to http://www.apologeticspress.org.
      That is the site that I always link to in KSR’s dialogue box when I post. There you will find quite a few articles dealing with things like why there is pain & suffering if God is good, etc. There may even be an article that deals with your specific question but I am not sure because I haven’t been on that site lately. I know they have written on where did the devil come from before.

Peace & blessings.

6. houndstooth
    10:21 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

If you don’t run for congress can we please get Ryan Lemond to run and his slogun should be “Dude, I can win” I mean he is a political scholar.

7. Keith
    10:28 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Hey Matt, maybe this will help:

“Most bro like lacrosse player names of 2015:”

A-Wellington Stanwick, Sr., Johns Hopkins

D- Gray Hedgecock, So, Coker

D- Rowland Pettit, Jr., Duke

D- Knute Kraus, Sr., Salisbury

G- F. Hambleton “Ham” Sonnenfeld, Jr., Dartmouth

8. Who cares
    10:30 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Ksr is becoming unlistenable. Either politics or senior citizens stroking jones’ ego. Post fancy farm it’s gone down the crapper. Had to turn it off.

• realme
      10:31 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Seasons haven’t started yet. You try to think of 2 hours worth of stuff to say every day.

• Big Curt
      10:32 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

You don’t think they’re going to read the show thread, do you? haha
      I do wish they would back off some on the politics stuff, though. But it’s his program. He’s free to say it and we are free to turn the channel.

• That’s why I haven’t been listening quite as much. The show will get better once oblong ball starts.

CATS!!!

• ukjaybrat
      10:56 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

This happens every single year. the show takes a dip late summer right before football starts and people like you come along and say the show is unlistenable… know what? it’s going to be FINE !

11:16 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

If you don’t want to listen to the show, then don’t listen to the show. No need to announce it to us.

• JoeMoney333
      11:22 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Big Curt have you been on the show thread in the last year? The comment sections on the website are 90% TRASH. I don’t blame him for going away from it. It’s usually trolls and ignorance.

9. KevinM
    10:35 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

The name that works when unsure of a players’ first name: Jamal.

10. houndstooth
    10:37 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

you need to be a number at the end of his name- Thurston Pulliam III, Worthington Pullian II

11. J-Dub421
    10:39 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

GAH!!! Could iheart crash a few more times today??? Four times in the first 30 minutes wasn’t enough for me.

• houndstooth
      10:42 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I haven’t had any problems today. usually 3 or 4 times per show usually.

10:50 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Mine has crashed once more since I wrote that. Maybe it’s my provider.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Don’t know about you guys, but trying to view the KSR site on an android phone is a nightmare. The tab constantly crashes or freezes up. I’m about to give up on it.

11:36 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

The website works fine on my android phone, but iheart crashes repeatedly during the show.

12. realme
    10:40 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Sour patch kids and Snickers. Done.

13. houndstooth
    10:40 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

are you going to put the reese cup sticks in the list- those are awesome.

14. Todd
    10:41 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Van Lear, reminds me of Dwight Yoakam’s “Miner’s Prayer”

15. Andy "Candy" Barr
    10:46 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Slap stick has to be a 12 seed

16. somerset bill
    10:47 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

wrestling! time for the rollcall guy to un-rewrite that column.

17. J-Dub421
    10:49 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I have a huge problem with NCAA transfer rules. Players from any sport should be able to transfer to any other school (even within the same conference) without have to sit out a year. What is the point of sitting out a year?? How does it help the student athlete?? Coaches and administrators can change schools/jobs at will, why can’t players? Coaches should not have the power to block a player’s transfer to another school either. The hypocrisy of the NCAA is unbelievable and infuriating. Now I will step down off my soap box.

• realme
      10:51 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Agreed.

• ukjaybrat
      11:07 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree that a coach should not be able to block a transfer to a particular school. that’s selfish. If he wants to request the player doesn’t go to a rival, that’s one thing, but it should be the player’s decision.

However, I do think that players should still have to sit out a year for transferring. The year rule is the only incentive the NCAA has to dissuade players from transferring. Otherwise there would be a LOT more transfers. and those transfers actually hurt the student aspect of the student athlete. Requiring athletes to sit out a year gives them increased time to adjust to the move and studies.

Coaches can move schools without having to sit out because those are JOBS. Playing basketball is not a job until it becomes your profession (in which case you’re no longer playing for the NCAA). As much as I hate it when a coach leaves a program just because they have a better offer, it’s how the system (job system, not NCAA) works. If someone offered you a 20% raise to take the same job for another company, would anyone blame you for taking the new job? So how can we REALLY blame coaches for doing the same thing?

11:14 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I’m not blaming the coaches for changing jobs, I just think the players should be afforded the same freedom. Regular students can switch schools without any issues, so why not athletes? If a player is unhappy for whatever reason, then they should be able to transfer.

• I can see why they don’t want coaches poaching players at other schools, and this would happen, a LOT. But, I do believe when a coach leaves, players should be able to transfer without restriction. Poaching would be REALLY bad in this case, but I think it would be a fair rule

• ukjaybrat
      12:19 pm August 26, 2015 Permalink

“POACHING” is the word i was looking for in my rant up there… thanks CGINWTTD… it’s not a perfect system we have and when coaches are fired, or transfer, more times than not, players are granted an exception to the sitting out rule. so if that is the only thing you (j-dub) have against the transfer rule, then that is pretty much covered in most case.

1:55 pm August 26, 2015 Permalink

That could be easily solved with a rule stating that once a player signs an LOI or scholarship agreement, other coaches can’t contact them. What’s stopping coaches from trying to poach other schools’ players now? I don’t think players should be penalized because they discovered a school wasn’t a good fit for them, or wanted more playing time, got homesick, etc.

18. houndstooth
    10:49 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Mortimer was in the trading places movie

19. harry
    10:52 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Glide boards

20. realme
    10:53 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I am ever so thankful for the distraction from the rest of life that Kentucky Sports provides. So glad the wait is almost over. Also, my grandfather was Mort (I assume short for Mortimer).

21. harry
    10:56 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

How about Ivan or Heathcliff

22. Boom
    10:58 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Cheering and support of a losing football program is the EXACT reason this program has been in the dumps for 20 yrs! And no, I wouldn’t support my kids if they continually make the same repeated mistakes in life. Being an enabler helps no one!

23. JoeMoney333
    11:20 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

#TeamChester

24. somerset bill
    11:26 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

if you don’t love kentucky’s rifle team just as much as you love the football team, you are not a part of the big blue nation! if you don’t follow the softball season or if you’ve never been to a single one of their events, you are not part of the big blue nation. if you have a uk sports radio program and hardly ever mention the cross country team, you are not part of the big blue nation. matter of fact, if you don’t follow each of the 10 men’s sports teams or 11 women’s sports teams equally, you are not part of the big blue nation.

at least, that’s what i’m hearing.

• Realme
      11:33 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

I think if you’re just not into a certain sport, that’s one thing. But if you are a college football fan, but prefer another team over UK Football, you are not BBN.

11:35 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

That is pretty much the opposite of what I heard Bill.

• somerset bill
      11:44 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

j-dub, it was originally a bold statement of if you’re a fan of the basketball team and not the football team you are not part of the big blue nation. that was an unsupportable position though, so they have been parsin that back, to where it is now, as long as you don’t hate the football team you’re still in the club. and they are saying you don’t have to like them all equally. what does “if you cheer for” mean? what if you never turn on the football game, can you “cheer for” them? if you never think about the rifle team can you just “cheer” for them in principle?

11:48 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

Matt was referring to people who cheer for UK Basketball, but Alabama Football. Things along those lines, where they just choose teams that win.

• There is a lady who has been on the “Top 10 Tweets” several times that says she is a UK bball fan and UT football fan. ARGGGGGHHHHHHY!!! I have implored Courtney to not include here in the Top 10.

• somerset bill
      12:21 pm August 26, 2015 Permalink

j-dub, i can almost agree with that sort of an example, then i think about this frequent suggestion that bbn is nationwide. surely that isn’t just talking about the people who have moved places from kentucky. if that person grew up in alabama and has come to be a fan of the uk basketball team, that seems to me to fit perfectly this notion of big blue nation. fans all across the country. being won over by greatness seems to be suggested in any claims of bbn being nationwide.

1:51 pm August 26, 2015 Permalink

No one is saying you couldn’t have a secondary team of some sort, if you lived some place else or grew up in another state. Even then, I would think you would root for all that school’s teams, not pick and choose which ones were good from different schools.

25. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

According to Chester, Matt is a republican trapped in a democrat’s body. 😀

• somerset bill
      11:45 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

self identifying as a congressman?

26. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am August 26, 2015 Permalink

And Nestle’s Crunch and Three Musketeers for the win!