Wake up! It’s time for KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Drew, and Shannon are in the Louisville studios to bring you the latest in the land of UK Sports, including draft decisions, Calipari going recruiting, and all sorts of other random stuff. Tune in or miss out!

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

61 Comments for Wake up! It’s time for KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

1. J-Dub421
    10:17 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

What, no players on the show today?!?!?!?! *flips table* (I’m kidding.)

2. Realme
    10:30 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

I bet Ann kind of wants to say talking over people is not good etiquette.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:31 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Don’t want to talk about Tom Brady’s youthful looks. Rather talk about Carol Alt, Christie Brinkley, and Elle Macpherson.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

They all look great for their age as well. Although if I could hire a personal trainer, chef, and go to the best doctors and dermatologists, and have a team of hair and makeup artists, I would too.

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Agree, J-Dub – and I’m a dude! The people who impress me are the average Joe’s (or Jane’s) who manage to take care of themselves and age gracefully, while at the same time earning an honest living. Entertainment stars who are multi-millionaires don’t count. I have to wonder what some of these people really look like without makeup, good lighting, and the endless “procedures” they have had done on them. If you want your kids to make a good living, have them become cosmetic surgeons and move to Los Angeles.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:57 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

If I chose to value my looks over my love for fine food and libations…I still wouldn’t be A list. I still at this moment would be a catch hanging out with Buscemi, Patton Oswalt and Sloth from the Goonies.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

I have a few fine lines and laugh lines, but I’ve kept myself in pretty good shape other than that. πŸ™‚

• CATandMONKEY
      11:07 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

I just gave 3/4 of my breakfast to my kids…I am lucky to look young but far less than optimum in fitness. My kids need their dad to be able to play HORSE with them in 9 years when the first graduates….and not playing from a wheelchair. Sad or weird that I might find inspiration on the KSR show thread?

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

I go to the gym 4 nights a week so that I can, within reason, eat what I want.

• Realme
      11:17 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

C&M, I think you meant AWESOME or weird!

• ukjaybrat
      11:20 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

good on ya c&m. i’ve never had a “problem” and i’m still relatively young. but i had a moment a few years back when the doctor told me i was overweight and getting worse. didn’t even notice it really. changed the way i ate, cut out sodas almost completely, and started working out a lot more. lost 20 pounds in a couple months. since then i’ve been taking off about 5 pounds a year. im in the best shape of my life. i still eat great food and drink what i want when i want. just a balance of eating not-quite-as-much in one sitting, keeping up with my workouts, and staying away from candy and unhealthy snacks (that’s really the easy part though bc i was never really into junk food)

4. J-Dub421
    10:43 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

The real Jerry Tipton is sour, curmudgeonly, and rather dull. Not surprised he doesn’t have a lot of followers.

• Realme
      10:47 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

That’s who I think of when you say Herald Leader (no wonder no one reads it). He’s a good target for Cal to tease in press conferences though. They’re had some hilarious interactions.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Will Jerry actually have anyone attending his wake when he passes? πŸ˜‰

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

When Cal talked about throwing a rock into a pack of dogs, and the one that yelps is the one you hit, that was probably the funniest jab he ever made at Jerry.

• ukjaybrat
      11:12 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

RCF, i thought that was more of a jab at pitino and k… although i dont remember the context when he first said it and the metaphor could really work at anybody out of context

5. CATandMONKEY
    10:49 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Matt you have done ONE Uncensored podcast. I paid $2.50 for it..twice. A bargain ..but not the Billy G. Podcast as promised.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:51 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Bad move for Briscoe….hate to hear that.

• secrick
      10:55 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Not sure he was going to get much better but wish him all the luck.

• He may wind up on the Eurasia circuit that Gerald Fitch did. Good luck to him regardless!

• J-Dub421
      11:08 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe has worked hard and improved his shooting some, especially his free throw shooting. He does have some skills that will make him valuable in the NBA I think. He’s a very good defender, he can drive on anyone and finish through contact, he’s a fearless slasher as well, and a very hard worker. Unfortunately Briscoe is a bit undersized for his position in the NBA, and that isn’t going to change. Hopefully some team will take a chance on him because they will get good value with him.

• ukjaybrat
      11:14 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

he didnt get enough credit for his offseason improvements imo. And size isn’t everything. didnt a tiny little fella that everyone said wouldn’t succeed just put up 39 / 9 / 9 in an nba game?

• That’s true ukjay, but Ulis has a skill set that Briscoe doesn’t have. Maybe Briscoe’s toughness & defensive skills will be enough (and maybe he can keep improving his shooting).

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

The floor will be spread more in the NBA which will open up driving lanes for Briscoe, and that is his bread and butter.

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

If Archie can succeed in the NBA, then I think Briscoe can too.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Looks like we will have to suffer through a lot of ups and downs again next year. All freshmen, and I can’t see anyone on that team who would be a leader. This stuff is making an old man out of Cal.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

We will have Diallo, who has had a semester to learn.

• Realme
      10:58 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Yeah. We’re gonna have to “trust the process” and remember that by March they will “not be freshmen anymore”. πŸ™‚ Man I want to know if Bamba is going to come here.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:03 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Humphries will have a trial by fire in the off season and come back a grizzled veteran leader.
      #hopeful

8. J-Dub421
    10:53 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Fontina is a cheese. Matt’s food knowledge is as lacking as his music knowledge.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:00 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

I was thinking same as I shredded some ‘ Reggiano on an omelet.

9. secrick
    10:56 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Think Diallo will test the NBA this year.

• Realme
      10:59 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

He probably should. But hopefully just for the experience.

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

He should to get feedback, but I think it would be a mistake to go straight out of high school. Look at the adjustment period for players from high school to D-1 college, then again to the NBA. The talent pool narrows considerably each time. Plus Cal has a proven track record of getting guys better and ready for the NBA.

• ukjaybrat
      11:15 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

agree with realme. they can tell him exactly what he needs to work on next year and focus on that to make the best out of his year here.

10. secrick
    11:15 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Listen to Tom Leach the other day and he had Freddie on. Freddie said this is the most excited he has been about Ky football ever. He said Ky has the best players they have ever had. Looking forward to Football this year.

• ukjaybrat
      11:16 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

i agree with him. i’m not as hard core about football in the offseason because there are just so… many… players to keep up with. but MAN am i excited once fall gets closer

• Realme
      11:20 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

My favorite thing about being a football fan is that it starts in September, so the blah season of no games ends sooner. Freddie is very glass-half-full when it comes to football, but still excited to hear that.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

I can’t believe there’s still a discussion about starting QB. It should be Stephen Johnson. End of discussion.

• I agree J-Dub. I hate that Barker got hurt, but it happens.

• Realme
      11:25 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like Johnson is more of a leader than we’ve had in a long time. Big mistake imo if they open it back up.

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Johnson is a better leader, he’s cooler under pressure, and the rest of the team plays better with him in.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Why are we going to play Harvard? Win…big deal; lose and it will be to a school that doesn’t offer athletic scholarships. Lose/Lose.

12. Realme
    11:26 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Time for a Cease and Desist, Lawdog.

13. secrick
    11:36 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Johnson will start but i would think you have to keep the other guys hopes up in practice to make it more competitive . Never played the game but that’s what i would think .

14. CATandMONKEY
    11:51 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Blaming KSR for the Higgins situation is ludicrous. If someone tells you to go jump off a bridge and you do it, that is 100% on you; KSR never told anyone to hassle Higgins.
    Higgins remains a tool.

• J-Dub421
      11:53 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

It all died down after about 2 days. Higgins is just milking it for attention now.

• Realme
      11:58 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

I hope his 15 seconds ends soon. I saw a linked article yesterday in a tweet that said he’s “putting his life back together”. He needs to retire if he can’t handle criticism and dealing with crazies in his profession.
      Someone pressed one of the Omaha reporters and she said there were 5 legitimate threats investigated, no arrests. That’s 5 too many, completely unacceptable, but it’s not the overwhelming war that the media likes to act like it is.

• ukjaybrat
      12:05 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

“legitimate”
      [insert super big air quotes]