Wake up, it’s time for KSR! (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, Drew, and Shannon will break down Kentucky’s nerve-wracking win over EKU, preview South Carolina, and give you a recruiting update. They’ll also discuss the movie “IT,” which we were all supposed to see this weekend. Did you do your homework?

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

46 Comments for Wake up, it’s time for KSR! (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:04 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Almost went to the BTI entry to say good morning to y’all.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:10 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Spent part of the weekend in Lexington for a volleyball tournament. Wanted to go to the game, but timing was too close to tournament start time. πŸ™ Hotel I stayed in was flooded with folks from Florida. Must be tough to have to pack up what you can and drive for 14 hours to stay in a hotel and just hope that you come back to something left of your life.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

UK 23
    SCAR 20

4. Realme
    10:17 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

I like my team, and am glad for the talent we have, but am running out of confidence in the coaching staff’s ability to game plan and adjust. Are they putting these guys into position to win games? It kind of doesn’t look like it. Hope I’m wrong.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Football is like boxing…you have a plan, and then you get hit…plans have to change.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

So far we’ve made adjustments as the game has gone on, but we’ve come out shakey the first two games. Our offensive line needs to start much faster. We can’t keep digging ourselves a hole at the start of games.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Unfortunately I probably have a lot of players’ parents saying the same thing about me as a volleyball coach after this weekend. πŸ˜€ Not that I get to recruit at the middle school level. Guess I might have to consult with BCG about that one!

• Realme
      11:12 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Parents of middle school volleyball should probably not take it that seriously, but I bet they do, RCF. What’s your weirdest parent coach interaction?

• RealCatsFan
      11:31 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Realme, just last week we had a dad sending an email to our athletic director with all of the coaches copied on it saying the fact that his 6th grader did not get to play up with the 8th graders was unfair and the “dumbest thing ever”. Of course he completely ignores the fact that the teams above have completely full rosters, so moving his kid up would bump an older kid from playing. A lot of these parents think that this is the Olympic Women’s Volleyball Team, not middle school ball. I have to say that parents are threatening to ruin youth sports. It’s not about the kids anymore, and that’s just sad.

• Realme
      11:38 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

People are absurd.

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

I used to coach swimming. There are some parents who think their precious little angel is the best thing ever, even though they can’t be bothered to bring said precious little angel to practice regularly, and their kid always goofs off and doesn’t put in the work.

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong, J-Dub – in this particular case his daughter is a really good player. She should be – he has had her playing travel club ball and doing private lessons for years. So she is good enough to play with the older kids. But in my opinion, this is middle school ball, not high school. Not every parent has the time and resources for his kid to play year round travel ball at the cost of thousands of dollars. At this level there are some kids who are just discovering the sport, and I would be short changing them to not allow them the chance to play, at least a little bit. His precious little all star is not going to have her career derailed by having to have a little bit of patience playing with kids of lesser skill and experience for a couple months. Keep in mind this is the same father who regularly brings his kids to tears on the court by screaming at them from the stands if they make a mistake in a game.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

I recently read an article that said there are at least 20 top high school volleyball players who are going to skip their senior year because they want to work with personal trainers or club coaches rather than taking the chance of injury or “regressing” playing for their high school team. The idea of being a leader and having pride in your school is falling by the wayside in favor of pursuing the elusive goal of a scholarship to a top-25 division I school.

• J-Dub421
      12:01 pm September 11, 2017 Permalink

Go to a good high school with a high level of competition then. The high school I went to in Louisville is currently ranked #1 in the country. Volleyball in Kentucky is huge and there are lots of good teams to play for.

Also, that guy sounds like a psycho, regardless of how good his kid is.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:19 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Drew is too slow of foot; with this OL, we need a mobile QB…SJ’s 21 yard TD was a busted play.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

That, and I think his decision making is questionable. He panics and tends to throw into coverage.

• Realme
      10:28 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Agree on both, and would add that Johnson’s calm confident demeanor is very important for our team.

• ukjaybrat
      10:29 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

or holds onto it too long and gets sacked

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Hopefully the game Saturday will put the whole QB debate to bed for the rest of the season. It probably won’t though.

• Realme
      10:48 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Nope. It just made those dummies switch from Barker to Hoak.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

We are not Alabama. We cannot whine about not winning by “enough” points. Right now, I’ll take wins any way we can get them. I don’t care if it’s pretty or not.

6. Well guys, I’m off work today because, as it turns out, Irma is headed this way. We won’t get it in Montgomery nearly as bad as FL of course, but please pray for us. The ironic thing is that when I started praying about this, I was praying for those east of us, then the track shifted.

Anyway, to lighten the mood, check these out…

Funny Jim Cantore commercial:

Jim Cantore song (we saw this guy sing it at Lulu’s in Gulf Shores…Lulu is Jimmy Buffet’s sister):

• And oh yeah, GO CATS!!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Stay safe; Alabama and Georgia getting tropical storm winds, and loss of power.

• Realme
      10:42 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Stay safe, Chris. Also, keep in mind the advice of the experts on KSR: Get to the highest and lowest point that you can.

• Thanks RG! I rode out Opal and Ivan, now Irma.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

CG, didn’t know you were in Montgomery. We drive through there every time we take a trip down to Florida, and my company does a lot of business with another company that is based down there.

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Stay safe, and batten down the hatches.

7. Thanks Realme!

8. Realme
    10:47 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

I’m glad Bobby called in to (sort of) apologize, but I would rather have heard him say: “now I know better, and will not use that term any more”.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:49 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

I don’t listen to a lot of country music, but still sad to hear about Montgomery’s passing. Truly a tragic situation, prayers to his family. Lot’s of sad losses in the music industry over the past few years.

• Mathlete
      2:43 pm September 11, 2017 Permalink

Gentry’s* – Montgomery is fine as far as we know

10. Realme
    10:59 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Matt did say what this 2nd caller on the topic said he said on Saturday. Today he did a much better job of wording it the way he meant it.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:59 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

What did you think about the Oklahoma player planting the flag in the center of the Ohio State field?
    Don’t really like the OSU; but, thought that was poor taste.

• Realme
      11:07 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Funny, but too far. If someone did that on our field I’d be livid.

12. Realme
    11:10 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Has anyone listened to Matt & Drew’s podcast? I don’t have any interest in gambling discussion, but I imagine those 2 together are hilarious about anything.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:15 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Dakich is goofy; over the weekend, he even had a former Indiana quarterback ready to kick his butt.
    The kid said, “I’ll put your face in the cement, old man”. Ha ha ha ha.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:29 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

This is one case where I would fully support an Indiana player.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Frank Kaminski called him out too.

14. J-Dub421
    11:21 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

Dakich is nothing more than a professional troll at this point.

15. Realme
    11:30 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

We already play in the Champions Classic and that other thing. How many gimmick tourneys are we supposed to fit into 1 non-conference schedule? Would the Nike thing be more exciting than the Bill Keightly classic (or whatever I’m thinking of)? Yes, but maybe other things were already scheduled.

16. Realme
    11:41 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

It it’s Murray State President vs. Lawdog, I’m taking Lawdaog.

17. secrick
    11:43 am September 11, 2017 Permalink

I thought Ky looked awful Sat. but don’t we have trouble with them every time we play them. Also the center has got to get that snap down and i’m sure he is working his butt off today to do just that.