Wake up! It’s time for Kentucky Sports Radio (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. On today’s show, Matt, Ryan, and Drew will recap Kentucky’s win over Arkansas and look ahead to tomorrow night’s game vs. Vandy, and talk a little bit of football too. Also, what impact will Hamidou Diallo have on this year’s squad? Find out by turning on your radio or other streaming device.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

76 Comments for Wake up! It’s time for Kentucky Sports Radio (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Thought it was funny the announcers couldn’t come up with a word to describe the Razorbacks’ style of play; the word is……dirty.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Arkansas was extremely dirty throughout the game.

• Agreed.

Hey runningunnin, when did you live in Bham? I live in Montgomery.

10:38 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

cg, I spend a lot of my time boxing up equipment and shipping it down to Montgomery. We always pass through there going back and forth to Destin.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Especially when the guy punched Monk in the junk for no reason. Also, when the dude stepped on Briscoe (though Cal’s finger wag afterwards was hilarious). I was proud of our team for mostly rising above it all. Fox did shove the dude who stepped on Briscoe, but good job standing up for your teammate. We had class and Arkansas had none.

• Cool RCF! Destin is beautiful. Pick me & my fam up next time. πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Was in Bham in mid ’70-s to pursue a medical degree. Really enjoyed Alabama; everyone was very nice to me. A lot of my classmates still lived at home; and they would invite me to Sat a.m. breakfasts and Sun dinners…..home cooking was really appreciated when you’re a college student.

• UAB then. Home cooked Sat. breakfasts & Sunday dinners? You had some really nice classmates!

Did you ever eat at Ted’s Diner? It’s still there near UAB.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Yep, although my first dining experience was at a Krystal…ha ha. Ordered breakfast and they put a glob of white stuff on the plate that I did’t order…..Just like My Cousin Vinnie, I asked what the h is that?
      Did come to love grits, though.

• I actually grew up eating grits in Kentucky. Unlike the deep south, though, I grew up putting butter and sugar on them. Most folks down here are horrified when they see that (most just do salt & pepper & and maybe butter, or the ever popular cheese grits). One guy I worked with (went to high school with him too) years ago said “Where are you from?” I said Kentucky. He said “No wonder! Those northerners put sugar on everything!” Ha!

I know someone from Arkansas who said she grew up doing that too. BTW, I find most restaurant grits to be awful, usually pasty because they’ve sat. You gotta make them fresh at home.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Shrimp and grits is one of the best things ever.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Another Southern ‘specialty’ I had never had was a butter soaked cornbread fritter.
      Vinnie: “Did you hear about the cholesterol problem in the country”?

• ukjaybrat
      11:15 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

i grew up in kentucky and ive always eaten them with just pepper

• Cajun shrimp & grits are great when done right!

2. Sticky Ceiling
    10:02 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I know KSR is all about supporting the dems and libbys but IN ALL SERIOUSNESS can we please get an answer why one cannot comment on the Jonathan Miller political posts? Was that a decision made by Dictator Jones? Can we at least get an answer? I have been following the site since the “Official Launch” back in like 2006, but will no longer visit the site with all the regulated liberal posts. I understand i’m only one visitor and traffic will likely not be affected but that is kind of ridiculous.

• ukjaybrat
      10:07 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

So you’re going to completely stop visiting/reading the most successful uk sports blog because you’re not allowed to rant on a political post written by someone you disagree with?

… ok

10:09 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

See ya – don’t let the door hit ya where the Lord spilt ya. πŸ˜€

10:14 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Also – the argument could be made that if KSR is going to wade into the murky water of politics, they should allow someone with an alternate political viewpoint and right-oriented leanings to comment. However, it is their site, and they are free to do what they want. And you are free to completely skip over the article to the next one that is actually about sports.

Does Rust Lintball or Hannity or the countless other right-wing radio hosts allow equal time for an alternate viewpoint? Uh, nope!

• Realme
      10:21 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

SC, sometimes the best thing you can do if you’re that bothered is step away and not give them the website clips. But why get bothered in the first place? Your comments are not going to change someone else’s mind about politics any more than they’re going to change yours. Don’t read Miller’s articles and they won’t bother you.

• Matt can make this site about UFO’s like Art Bell & George Noory. However, I agree that if you’re going to wade into politics, have the guts to leave comments open. It’s his site and he doesn’t have to, but it seems kind of gutless to me.

• And he would get more clicks anyway. But to each his own.

• Sticky Ceiling
      10:36 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Not really upset by the article’s content, though I do wish J. Miller’s posts sometimes provided cliff notes…. But, I just think it is funny that out of thousands of articles, the pro-liberal article has comments disabled.
      @RealCatsFan I agree 100%, I should just skip the content. I imagine Rush and Hannity have zero liberal listeners, so there would be no need for that in their case. Being a “sports” talk show, in a predominantly Republican state, I don’t see the reason for disabling comments due to one author’s political opinion.
      @UKjaybrat You guy’s know I really CAN’T not visit the site until the mass Mid-April KSR annual hiatus.

Happy Monday, people.

• wolfmans uncle
      10:44 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Exactly right. Miller fancies himself a real intellectual that just happens to be oh so funny and self-deprecating as well. Meanwhile, he’s nothing more than the same old worn out, holier than thou liberal douchebags that make up the hypocrite wing of the democrat party. He’s actually so intellectually vapid that he can’t even muster the courage to see the comments from the vast unwashed idiot public that he writes for on KSR. Real smart tough guy there.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Then just skip his posts. I don’t watch The Walking Dead, so I skip those posts. Simple.

10:50 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

SC, I will agree with you that my eyeballs tend to glaze over when reading one of his articles. Guess my attention span is too short! πŸ™‚ And I wish they would leave the comments open – it would be free entertainment, but also a total waste of time for most of us.

3. secrick
    10:19 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Can the new basketball player start playing now? I have heard not till next year and not till Feb and lots of different stories. Does anyone know for sure?

• Realme
      10:23 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

He could play now, but plans to not play until next season. Will get a huge head start by practicing and training with this year’s team.

• Yes, he is eligible. Auburn let a guy play in December (a 5 star center) who had just enrolled because he had just graduated from high school:

The question for UK is, is he ready and can he contribute right now? Auburn needed their guy badly. I don’t know that we need Diallo right now with the way Monk & Fox are playing. However, if someone gets injured (or in foul trouble in a tourney game), who knows?

• ukjaybrat
      10:28 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

realme is correct. he COULD play tomorrow as long as he is enrolled by then (likely not though so in reality, he could play saturday).

However, as good as he is supposed to be, he hasn’t practiced a second with this team and is so far behind i doubt he even gets brad minutes before mid-february.
      That being said, we are going to lose a lot of guard talent after this season, so him being able to practice with the team this year will give him a head start for preparing for next year’s team

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I can’t see Cal playing Diallo this season. Our team chemistry is really starting to click and we’re guard rich this year. I doubt Cal will mess with that.

10:53 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I would think that he will start practicing immediately, and if he makes great progress and shows the he is “getting it” right away, who knows, maybe Cal gives him some minutes in garbage time. But Winyard was in pretty much the same situation last year, and he never left the pine – although Diallo is MUCH more athletic and with much greater upside.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I am glad Diallo will be practicing with the team this season. It should give him a jump on learning Cal’s system. It also makes me feel a little better since we’ll likely lose our entire backcourt after the end of this season.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

The Anderson handshake blowby reminds me of some of the ones that Tom Crean used to dole out after a loss. Hey, look on the bright side – at least he didn’t flip off the crowd! πŸ™‚

5. Realme
    10:30 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

That Moore stuff was hilarious Saturday night. He said dumb things about Malik not choosing Arkansas, and then got dismantled by Drew, Walker Wheeler (or Wheeler Walker), and a million others. It was brutal, but his opinion was really selfish and silly so I enjoyed it.

10:34 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Yep, my nephew and I had a lot of laughs at Moore’s expense on the way home from the game, especially the Wikipedia thing.

6. J-Dub421
    10:31 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

What’s a Justin Moore?

7. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I’m not knocking country music by any means – it’s not the genre I listen to very much, but there are some songs and some artists that I enjoy. That being said, someone commented Saturday night that whathisname’s music sounds exactly like all the other “new country” or “pop country” songs floating around out there, and they are absolutely on point!

8. There’s the “THEY’RE DANGEROUS!” Tech Trend guy, again.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

The leg stomp and the subsequent booing of Arkansas #0 really woke up the crowd. It was so much fun to boo him every time he touched the ball. We hung around for the post-game interviews, and he walked out, and I almost expected the remaining couple thousand people to boo him again. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:39 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

It was like the booing nullified his ability to handle the basketball. Hilarious because he deserved it.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Is Bill Clinton a Razorback fan? Didn’t he blow off Arkansas to attend Georgetown U.?
    Just the same way Moore left Arkansas to follow his dream….kind of hypocritical.

10:41 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

… and Matt blew off UK to attend (gasp) Duke. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

You’re right…..that’s worse.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I thought the crowd was pretty good on Saturday. Like Matt said, it can be a lot louder in person than it seems to be on TV.

The first half was subdued because the refs would simply not allow the game to get into any kind of a flow. Every 30 seconds, tweeeet. Kind of like Trump’s twitter account. πŸ˜‰

12. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

My wife set the DVR to record the game on SEC network – it even has it in the listing as UK vs Ark, but they played a replay of the Clemson/Bama football game instead. πŸ™ Thank goodness for UKBasketballLive.com

• Realme
      10:45 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

It changed to espn last minute because another game was postponed.

• ukjaybrat
      10:52 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

yeah i was at a friend’s house and we had dinner. his dad was only going to stay for the first half then drive home and watch the rest on dvr until i told him it got moved to ESPN bc of unc being delayed. he was pissed. decided to stay and watch the whole game with us. he was exhausted afterward. hope he made it home ok

• Between KSR and UKBasketballLive.com, those of us who don’t live in Kentucky have it made! I used to wait for TCP to arrive in the mail, and I still miss it and Oscar, but keeping up with UK is so easy now!

11:16 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I was on internship in Baton Rouge back in 88/89 when UK was on probation and had no TV coverage. My parents used to mail newspaper clippings about the UK games to me. Dark days back then!

13. Realme
    10:56 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Well, I had heard of John Short, but not Justin Moore as of Saturday, so he may be right. πŸ™‚

14. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Grayson Allen’s high kick was not a natural reaction….he feels contact and his response is to kick.
    Maybe he should try kick-boxing…..well, no…probably not—-they hit back.

• Realme
      11:23 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Some day someone will hit him, and be punished for it, but become a folk hero.

• ukjaybrat
      11:28 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

i doubt he will get any major minutes in the nba, which really ruins my dream of him tryign to trip boogie one day. he would haul off and whoop his butt on national tv

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Please, please, please let it be Draymond Green or Boogie. Or maybe Matt Barnes or Deandre Jordan. Someone big and mean who will end Allen.

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Or Rondo. Rondo is even smaller than Allen, but would still wreck him.

11:32 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Realme, I will be the first to start a GoFundMe account to pay for their legal expenses. πŸ™‚

15. runningunnin.454
    11:24 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

KSR is sure giving Moore a lot of air time.

16. J-Dub421
    11:26 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I have no problem with Damian Harris choosing Alabama. It’s Alabama, I get it. I do have a problem because I think he made his decision long before he announced it and led our coaching staff and fan base on because he liked the attention and free tickets, etc. That was not cool.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Well, to be fair, you have to throw Louisville into the “second tier” of near-elite programs that have won titles under multiple coaches.

• J-Dub421
      11:32 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Let’s wait and see if they keep that third title under a second coach before making a determination there.

11:36 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, tru dat!

18. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Let’s step back for a moment and take politics completely out of the equation. Whether they are a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, or Green Party, is it not extremely childish for the future POTUS to jump on twitter to attack someone who says something unfavorable about you? I mean, this is the kind of thing that teenage girls do! Someone in his cabinet needs to suspend Donald’s phone privileges for a while.

• J-Dub421
      11:51 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Both parties need to get out of the team sports mentality of us vs. them, and start putting the best interests of the American people first.

11:54 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I’m just commenting on the fact that our future commander in chief sometimes displays the emotional maturity of a 4-year-old.

19. ukkatzfan
    11:51 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Wall was great at last second shots

11:53 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

Not in the conversation, but Knight, Aaron Harrison, and even Murray were pretty good at those too.

• ukkatzfan
      7:23 pm January 9, 2017 Permalink

They were talking best point guard out of Wall, Ulis as a soph and Fox. I thought Wall’s clutch shooting put him as best of the 3

20. J-Dub421
    11:52 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

When you have ongoing discussions of which set of ridiculously talented players is the best… #KentuckyProblems