VOTE: Who was the Best KSR Guest Host?

It was a long five weeks without Matt, but we survived thanks to some incredible guest hosts. Which was your favorite? On today’s show, the gang narrowed the field to seven, and we’re letting you pick the winner.

Here are the candidates:

Pardon My Take

For the second year in a row, the PMT crew took over the show with their unique brand of satire, which included putting John Calipari on the hot seat. Little did they know that the Cal to the Knicks rumors would pop up the very next day. The show also included interviews with Mark Stoops and Malik Monk.

Podcast of Pardon My Take on KSR

Evan Daniels

As you knew it would be, Daniels’ show was chock full of recruiting info and special guests, including 2018 point guard Immanuel Quickley, who said on KSR for the first time that Kentucky is his favorite. Daniels also interviewed Bruce Pearl, Patrick Patterson, and Tom Crean.

Podcast of Evan Daniels on KSR

Tyler Thompson and Jennifer Palumbo

Jen and I interviewed Ellen and Erin Calipari AND Chantel Stoops, and asked our male callers to share their #ManCardConfessions. Vince Marrow even called in and admitted that he likes strawberry daiquiris.

Podcast of Tyler and Jen on KSR

Laura Rutledge

Rutledge knocked it out of the park in her first KSR appearance, sharing her thoughts on UK’s appearance at Media Days and joking about her awkward encounter with John Calipari last season. Ryan and Shannon weren’t the only ones that were totally smitten.

Podcast of Laura Rutledge on KSR

DeWayne Peevy

UK’s Deputy Director of Athletics got UK Week off to a great start, breaking the news that Randall Cobb and John Wall are part of this year’s UK Hall of Fame on air and sharing his plans to get an NBA super team to square off vs. a UK squad in this year’s Alumni Game.

Podcast of DeWayne Peevy on KSR

Lamar Thomas and Vince Marrow

The UK Football coaches had entirely too much fun during their appearance, which also featured the UK strength coaches, a call from Mark Stoops, and an interview with UK Volleyball coach Craig Skinner. After listening, I doubt anyone will be able to top Marrow when asked for the most famous person in their contact list.

Podcast of UK Football Coaches on KSR

Nick Mingione

The UK Baseball coach had to postpone his guest hosting stint due to a death in his family, but brought his trademark energy the next week, reminding us all why we love him so much. It went so well Matt’s agreed to let him have a 30-second spot each Monday to motivate the BBN to get up and tackle the week.

Podcast of Nick Mingione on KSR

Now, it’s time to vote. The poll will stay up until tomorrow’s show, so vote, vote, vote.

41 Comments for VOTE: Who was the Best KSR Guest Host?

1. Nashville Cat Mama
    1:44 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I can’t believe the Pardon My Take guys are leading. I’d bet if you put up a poll of least liked guest hosts, they’d lead that one, too. They were certainly among my least favorite. All of the other 6 were my favorites from the 5 weeks. I listened to all but the day of the contest winners. I was far behind and wanting to catch up for Matt’s first day back so i skipped that one. But Pardon My Take? Seriously? It was like a regular sports talk show – which KSR really isn’t.

• UKStudent2013
      1:45 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

HEADLINE – Old Woman Gives Bad Take Online

• 3Goggles
      2:11 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I picture her at her computer in her moomoo muttering profanities at PMT

• zack2463
      4:46 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Please respect the biz

• CATSfaninColorado
      9:22 am August 3, 2017 Permalink

They’re Big J journalist. Have some respect

2. FryanLemond
    1:54 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Pardon my take for life

3. TBW3011
    1:56 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I voted PMT. Loved it. They are the Lebrun of sports podcasts. They have the most fans and the most haters.

4. tonyhtiger
    2:09 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Pardon My Take deserves to win and the votes show that clearly. They have gained a new fan in me by their appearance on KSR. Very similar to KSR actually just on a national scale.

5. RICKSVD
    2:15 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Laura cause she’s hot.

• RICKSVD
      5:01 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I was laid if you count table 15 heavy petting.

6. RICKSVD
    2:22 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

And I haven’t been layed in over a decade lol.

7. Basteballer
    2:23 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I think the PMT fans are doing what BBN fans usually do. I don’t think they were as popular with UK fans as the poll indicates.

• J-Dub421
      2:34 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Agreed.

• UKStudent2013
      2:58 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

No. I think there is a section of UK fans like 32+ who have no sense of humor and think if you’re not pumping sunshine up UK’s ass then you’re being a “troll” when they don’t really know what troll means. The “Old BBN Twitter” is the fanbase’ most embarrassing aspect and they are everywhere. Like, the majority of KSR callers fall in this category and they suck.

• runningunnin.454
      3:37 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Well, Junior; why don’t you call in and throw your diaper into the ring.

• Booby Petrino
      3:39 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

UKStudent – Like, I hope you aren’t really a UK student. Like, the things you write are not intelligent. Like. lol

• J-Dub421
      3:53 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

No, the PMT guys are simply not funny. They regurgitate the same tired, old, bland trolling crap that I’ve heard from rival fan bases for years. They were boring.

• TBW3011
      8:35 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Your opinion is they aren’t funny. Breaking Moos: You don’t get to decide what is and isn’t funny to the rest of the planet.

• UKStudent2013
      4:51 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Case in point with your terrible name and bad joke, Petrino.

• Chuck Norris
      6:44 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I’m torn because I’m 38 and think the PMT guys are funny and really good at what they do – yet I also find your use of the word “like” in that way unintelligent and extremely irritating.

8. thenamerobdigity
    2:33 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Pardon my take trolls are out. Please don’t ask them back

• Chuck Norris
      6:47 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Listen, as someone already mentioned in the comments, this is exactly what we as U.K. Fans do all the time. There’s a not-so-old saying, don’t hate the player, hate the game.

9. TheMrDShow
    2:49 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t vote for this poll in a poll about Best Polls because the hands-down best guest hosts year after year are the Sklars and they aren’t even an option. Conway Twitty is ashamed. Not of himself, because Conway Twitty. Just ashamed in general.

10. Sasquatch
    2:51 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I get the shtick PMT offers, and I like their Twitter account, but it was extremely boring and played out when it goes on for TWO hours. PMT would be great in a small dose and I liked when they called in while Titus was hosting, but it was beating a dead horse by hour 2. I guess that’s my hot take, right?

11. meeksfor3
    3:17 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I wish they had the OH St and UNC as an option just to see if anyone chose those 2 clowns.

12. olejordy
    3:40 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I cast my vote for one Mr. Chuck Mingione. The dude has it all. Let’s review.

He has a positive attitude that is infectious. His voice is made for radio, arguably more than anyone else (except Ryan, according to Last Chance U). It was the one podcast that Matt actually listened to over a 5-week period…and gave the thumbs up for the ‘Mingione Minute’ idea.

He knows how to respond to all types of callers, from young to old, and take ALOT of calls he did. More than anyone else, easily.

He opened up and shared personal stuff about himself. Including the fact that he wasn’t able to initially host due to a loss of a close family member…and yet still has the guts to come on and host (I believe) just 1 week later! That’s commitment and dedication.

Mrs. T and JP were a close 2nd but I gotta give the nod to Chuck on this one.

• katfan33
      4:18 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I voted PMT mainly to piss off fickle UK fans. They were good. Avery was really good. Ramel was really good. Just please never let ryan and his wife do the show again. Horrible.

13. SADmaninKy
    3:57 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Laughing my rear end off at all the young kiddos touting PM(S)T so highly and belittling the old fogies who liked a different host. They are so tolerant and diverse!!

I am an old fart and I loved Coach Minge and the Sklar Brothers. PMA, not so much… Alright, kids, let me have it!

• TBW3011
      8:38 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I’m 40 and voted PMT. Of course, I’m not belittling anyone who doesn’t like them either. To each their own. I only get annoyed when people seem to believe their opinions are irrefutable facts. Lol

14. SADmaninKy
    3:57 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

er, PMt

15. JD
    4:36 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

I don’t love or hate PMT. However, I don’t particularly find them entertaining. Give me any of the hosts on here before them.

16. Captain044
    6:56 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

How are the Pardon My Take guys leading this? They wete the worse. I turned the show off listening to those idiots. I felt like calling telling them it was a UK show not attack show. The sucked Matt never get these two idiots again.

• CatFanDu
      10:40 am August 3, 2017 Permalink

I liked Oscar! The Pop-Up Show was one of the best!
      PMT on PMT, but IMHO, if you like abusive, abrasive and sarcastic azzhats, then you like them.
      Personally, as one in the 40+ age bracket, I thought it best to listen to some classic rock for the next hour and a half, rather than those turds.

17. MakersMike
    7:41 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

This comment thread is in the Mt. Rushmore of haters. PMT guys are great, ruffling feathers is what they do. When they said Japanese whiskey is better than Kentucky bourbon you weren’t supposed to take it literally. They are from Wisconsin, they have no love for Ky, what do you expect? They came on and we’re entertaining during a sports drought so bad all of KSR took a hiatus to Europe. Quit being so damn sensitive.

18. TrueGraw
    7:59 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

Steve Romines and T.J Makes them Pay

19. hoof_hearted42
    8:15 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

PMT trolls blowing up the poll. Whoever wins second is your true winner, folks. Go back and look at the comments the day of the show, these guys were jeered like crazy. At least KSR isn’t pulling a cbb_polls and taking their ball and going home.

• TBW3011
      8:42 pm August 2, 2017 Permalink

You are vastly underrating how many PMT fans are out there. I’m not saying every vote they have came from a KSR listener, but I don’t know a person in my circle of 10-15 closest friends that doesn’t love PMT. They are all UL or UK fans and all age 35-40.

• hoof_hearted42
      9:58 am August 3, 2017 Permalink

I am underrating nothing. PMT is great when they can go uncensored in their podcast. Not so much when they have rules to follow. It’s ok to like them, but to say they did a good show is absurd. Both years, five minutes in and I had to tune out from the crash and burn the show did. Those voting at PMT fans, because there is no way possible looking at it objectively that they had the best show of the five week hiatus.

20. yontsey
    4:14 am August 3, 2017 Permalink

I’ve listened to this show every day since the beginning and in no specific order I think the worst shows were: Titus, TJ/Romines, Cameron Mills. Best IMO: PMT, Football Coaches, MrsT/P. I love the Skylars but they do the same exact show every year. PMT, aside from KSR, is by far the best sports podcast out there. Ridiculous/stupid takes and amazing interviews. Hope they get the first call to come back next year.

21. binarysolo
    3:51 pm August 3, 2017 Permalink

Eh, to me the PMT guys are good at what they do but they sound pretty samey to what’s already out there in big-time sports podcast-land.

I enjoyed listening to the knowledgeable Kentucky-affiliated hosts who may not have as much polish to their delivery but I connected with them more.