Visors are BACK (Thursday Show Thread)

@AdamJBaum

You can’t make fun of Matt Jones’ visors anymore, thanks to Chris Oats.  The stud four-star linebacker rocked the Kentucky blue visor during today’s singing ceremony at Winton Woods High School.  Matt will probably be rocking one on the air during today’s Top 10 Thursday on Kentucky Sports Radio.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

73 Comments for Visors are BACK (Thursday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:52 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

No. 1 Villanova goes down, and A&M wins at Auburn. Going to be fun filling out the brackets this year.

• runningunnin.454
      9:56 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Purdue goes down, too….more p a r i t y.

• I didn’t know Purdue lost too! Also, Vandy pounded Georgia. Not a huge upset maybe, but the margin was IMO.

RG, I posted this last night (twice):

For all you perpetually negative Nellies out there: a losing St. Johns team beats Nova, Vandy pounds Georgia. My point? What Runningunnin454 has been preaching all season: P-A-R-I-T-Y. I still don’t know if we will have a run like 2014, but parity is definitely the word this year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Yep, days of sailing through the conference are over. Some winers think we are losing to lousy teams.
      SEC is toughest conference in the country, top to bottom.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Make that whiners, lol

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I may just flip coins for my bracket this year.

2. ClutchCargo
    9:56 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I wonder if Villanova and Auburn fans are having an online meltdown and whining that basketball isn’t fun anymore.

• runningunnin.454
      10:04 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

We can certainly loan them some whiners and crybabies….if they would take them.

• ClutchCargo
      10:08 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Instead of lending, I would just let them keep the whiners and crybabies!

• Realme
      10:09 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

They can have several of my co-workers! Great idea.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Definitely, we have too many people who don’t understand the game. They think you can take 5 HS players and a couple of sophs, and build a team in 3 months.
      This group is improving every game; we have been in every game, and haven’t been blown out.
      And, we haven’t lost to a team like Wofford.

• Except, RG, some fans don’t want all the one and dones. To be fair, we’ve all admitted (some more begrudgingly than others) that philosophy/system is not without it’s problems.

My biggest problem with Cal is some of the head scratching moves he makes, or doesn’t make. The Wisky loss wasn’t all his fault, but his take the air out of the ball strategy late in that game stunk, purely stunk, and was a HUGE contributing factor. It almost cost us against UL and KU in the Final Four in 2012. We blew them both out in the 1st half and let them come back (UL even tied the game) in the 2nd because of the same strategy.

There, now the whiners who might be reading will know I’m not a total apologist. 😛

That said, I don’t want anyone else as our coach.

• Realme
      10:31 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

The difference is Chris, most of us, you included, realize that ALL coaches screw up sometimes. Others think only his losses and mistakes are attributable to him. No credit for all the good.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

CG, I want the best players we can get; I just don’t like the one-and-done rule; but, that’s on the NBA.
      If kids obviously can make it…AD, Boogie, KAT that’s fine; but, a lot of kids get hurt.
      Yeah, Cal tried to kill the clock and I hope he’s torn that page out of the playbook, but it still wasn’t as bad as Lil Rickie not putting a man on Grant Hill.

• dismore
      12:14 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

If the one-and-done rule is only blamed on the NBA, please explain the NCAA’s explanation on Div I baseball.

3. Realme
    10:08 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Yes to Oats’ visor. NO! to Matt’s

• I thought Steve Superior made the visor cool anyway! I prefer the ball cap, but that’s just me.

What I don’t understand is someone like Eddie Gran who has a fairly prominent bald spot wearing the visor instead of a lid in the scorching Gainesville sun. Can you say skin cancer?

4. Realme
    10:11 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

What Olympic events are we all looking forward to? Anything good and weird besides curling?

5. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

So who sweats more? Bruce Pearl or Buzz Williams? Wouldn’t it suck to have to catch a cab ride home after a game where they played each other and you are sandwiched between those two and they haven’t had a shower? 🙂

Name your other notoriously sweaty coaches:

6. Realme
    10:26 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I was rooting for Brad until he came into I forget which game and committed an egregious flop.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I remember the other night when we played Mizzou, a few folks on the live blog nicknamed that little flopping white kid that they had “Jersey Shore”. However, we have to admit that Brad seems to have some of that JS attitude as well. Too bad we didn’t blow them out, we might have been able to see them on the floor together.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

None of our players should leave this year…they need another year, at least. I’m tired of people getting in their ear, and giving them bad information.
    Some say only reason Cal won in ’12 was a bunch of superstars. Yeah, AD…but who else?
    MKG is struggling: Lamb, Teague, and Jones aren’t in the league. Darius was overseas for years.

• Realme
      10:41 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

If one of them was going to get picked in the lottery, and chose to go and get better by playing full time in the G league, I’d support that. But I’d be shocked if Kevin or Hami returned regardless.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

They both have work to do; they are just not ready to play against NBA talent, and play that kind of schedule.
      I can’t imagine how a GM would justify picking Hami; in my opinion, he is just one step ahead of Brad.
      If Brad were to get the same minutes, his shots would start to fall…hard to come in cold and knock them down.
      Kevin is just not ready to play in the paint with grown men, and he’s not a consistent shooter.

• Realme
      11:07 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Ready to play in the NBA and ready to be drafted are 2 different things. D league year with pay vs. college soph year is the question.

I will say though, this time last year a lot of people were saying the same about Fox, Monk and Briscoe. One didn’t get picked at all. One is having a mediocre year and one has been contributing a lot as a rookie.

• Realme
      11:09 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Also, I disagree about Hami being close to Brad’s level. I think Hami would destroy Brad one on one. He just doesn’t get what he’s supposed to be doing with himself in a team context.

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t mean Brad was as athletic or talented; but, it doesn’t take a superstar to compete at the college level. A role player that can knock down shots can be valuable…I’m thinking Cameron Mills.

• Realme
      11:24 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I used to think Brad could be a Cameron by his senior year, but he doesn’t seem to be making progress in that direction.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Brad gets no minutes. I’m not trying to crush Hami; but, he’s not playing in the team concept. He needs to forget the threes, drive and dish.

• Realme
      11:43 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Do you think reverse psychology would work? The crowd could start screaming SHOOT! at Hami (and others) and maybe that would make them think twice.

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I think that I could speak with some certainty that Hami would be doubting his decision to come back if Cal ever started Brad ahead of him.

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Now that’s funny…I haven’t noticed if the Okie fans yell shoot at Trae or not; he does get assists; but, he thinks he’s open when he crosses half court.

• Realme
      11:54 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

In all seriousness, maybe sitting out most of the last game will have a positive effect on him.

8. Realme
    10:38 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Even though she came back, that Mom destroyed her son’s moment and that was very selfish.

9. I just walked back from the office fridge and heard the caller say “I don’t have any of that internet stuff” about hanging a picture and that was so funny!

10. mj7juice
    11:08 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Bangs thinks wearing a black Nike UK polo 5 days is style. He goes into the barber and only gets the top of his head cut, leaves the sides puffy. Lmfao.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Only U of L trolls refer to Matt as “Bangs.”

• Realme
      11:21 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I like how Juice shortened it from Matty Bangs. More casual.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Matty Bangs, Captain Suntan. I guess you must be doing something right to get under the skin of the rival fan base to get them to come up with a nickname for you. 🙂

11. Realme
    11:11 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

That’s not a mullet, and no thank you.

12. Realme
    11:17 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

It’s Ashley, strictly because Rick will be long dead before either of them would get a standing o in Rupp.

13. Rush
    11:24 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

For the record. Bill Clinton WAS impeached.

• Realme
      11:27 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Thank you for entering that important fact into the Official KSR Show Thread record.

• Rush
      11:33 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I was just thinking Matt may want to know what “impeachment” means before he runs for Senate.

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Limbaugh, is that you?

• RealCatsFan
      11:48 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I pulled up in the parking lot of the local Kroger back in the fall on a nice day and pulled in next to an old pickup truck with Trump stickers all over the back of it. A little old lady was sitting in there smoking a cig with the windows rolled down and her radio blaring Rust Lintball for all to hear. She was sitting in there nodding in approval. It was quite the interesting scene. When I came back out she was still sitting there, in her rush trance. It inspired me to roll my windows down and crank up some music that Shannon would approve of before I pulled out. I got an absolutely delicious dirty look from her. 🙂

• Rush
      11:49 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Rust Lintball. Very clever

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

It’s just kind of “there”. 😀

14. Rush
    11:42 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

No. But I wouldn’t mind some golfing weather

15. Realme
    11:46 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

What time is Saturday’s game?

16. Ez21
    4:59 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

U all do realize that we’ve been outscored by a lot everytime brads been in. It does u no good to hit 3 treys when u give u 40 on the other end. In a half. He’s just too small in stature, nothing against the kid. Also until I actually see him make a 3 in a game I’m not betting he will ever start making them. Idk when the few he’s hit were bc I don’t remember him. He never gets close.