USA Jayhawks win gold at World University Games

The United States of America took gold at the World University Games this morning in South Korea, defeating Germany in double overtime. It’s the one time a USA loss would’ve been acceptable in my eyes, considering this great country of ours is represented by the Kansas basketball team at the games. Bill Self’s bunch began the tournament wearing their KU jerseys and had to be told to wear something American.

Am I a traitor for rooting for the Germans?

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for USA Jayhawks win gold at World University Games

1. asdf
    10:36 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Why doesn’t Kentucky ever get to represent the USA like this? I know we did back in the forties, but that was a long time ago.

• Dunno, But
      11:21 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Their colors are red, white and blue. That’s all.

2. Kentucky Joe
    10:39 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Ain’t fair Kansas get a head start on there season like that. Still gonna beat em

Ulis
    Prisco
    Murrsy
    Poy
    Skal

• Mixxy
      10:43 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

I think your right hand was off its home keys…

• TonyZ
      11:25 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Are you an idiot? Do you not remember just 1 year ago when your team played a summer tournament in the Bahamas? Thus allowing them a “head start”?…. Oh, btw, its their not there!

• Boogs457
      11:28 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

@TonyZ that’s mean.

• Mc
      12:00 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

Technically it wasn’t a tournament in the Bahamas.

• J-Dub421
      2:03 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

Tony, all teams can take a foreign trip once every 4 years. Last year was ours, we took one in 2011 too. I don’t know when other teams take them because I don’t care, but feel free to look it up.

3. Larry Skaggs-Stein
    10:42 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Think 40-0 this year is more likely than last year

• Lucas
      10:44 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

You’re Retarded

• Herbert Calhoun
      10:50 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

The smartest guy in my trailer park is also predicting 40-0.

4. BtownUKFan
    10:48 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Allowing a single school to ‘represent’ America is unAmerican. I like the way they were allowed to have the “KU” on their shorts. I can only guess that either the committee that made this decision was a bunch of KU grads or they were paid off by KU alumni. But as long as Bill Self is coaching at Kansas I don’t worry about them beating us and anyone that thinks about going to KU needs to talk to Josh Shelby, Xavier Henry and the host of other basketball players that were not developed during their time at KU.

• Herbert Calhoun
      10:53 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Look for Selby and Henry in the D-League along with Teague, Lamb, the Harrison Twins and a host of former UK greats

• CATandMONKEY
      10:57 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

All of the UK players you mention, in a poor attempt at degradation, are all better than Selby and Henry.
      Thank you for continuing your support of KSR simply by clicking and posting.

• BtownUKFan
      1:02 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

Hey Herb. I hate to tell you but Shelby is not even in the D league. I’ll claim Teague and Lamb as Kentucky guys that have not been able to make an impact but I’ll also take Terrance Jones, Patrick Patterson, Josh Harrellson, Eric Bledsoe as Kentucky guys that have outperformed expectations. Plus… I’ll claim Davis, Wall, Cousins, MKG, KAT, WCS, Lyle, Booker, Knight as Kentucky guys that are the future of the NBA. The jury is still out on the Harrisons, Goodwin, Noel, Randle and Young but I wouldn’t count out any of them.

• Not all KU
      1:09 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

There were actually a few guys that were not KU players, not many but a few. Will be a huge help to them early in the year, just like last year was for us after the Bahama trip.

• HonestKUFan
      1:22 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

The reason they pick one university is because most teams would not let their best players go play overseas like that in a pointless tournament. So it gives us a better chance at gold to just pick one school than trying to form a mediocre “all-star” team and attempt to get them to run an offense and be productive in the 2 weeks of practice they would have.

• Michael
      1:33 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

There were 2 non KU players because of Greene having surgery and Graham injured. Nic Moore from SMU thanks to coach Larry Brown, and Julian DuBose from Florida Gulf Coast thanks to coach Joe Dooley.

5. Patrick
    11:50 am July 13, 2015 Permalink

Looks like the trolls are alive and well today.

6. G-MAN74
    12:08 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

Guess it’s a good thing that there were no Mid-Majors in that tournament.

• 8 god
      12:49 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

lol

• Michael
      1:27 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

You mean like Robert Morris?

• J-Dub421
      2:05 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

More like Lehigh or Mercer.

7. frankie stigers
    12:32 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

40 and 0 baby

8. 8 god
    12:51 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

No but really, how is the US representative selected? Anybody?

• Not all KU
      1:10 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

They were chosen in part because so many other players were already taken in so many other tournaments and events going on at the same time.

9. BurpinTurpin
    12:56 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

It seems to me they were bent on representing KU rather than the USA. They had to be forced to make the “USA” logo more prominent than “Kansas” on their uniforms, and the same thing even happened with their warmups. I don’t blame the players so much, they’re kids- but the coaches and administration showed little honor. My respect for Kansas continues to fall.

• HonestKUFan
      1:28 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

I agree that they should have had a big USA from the get-go. But, from a business standpoint, it made more sense for Adidas to make the uniforms something they could sell.

10. singsong
    1:08 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

Look, I don’t care if it was dUKe repping USA, I would root for them. It’s pretty simple.

UK over everyone.

Whomever is playing ul and dUKe.

any team repping USA over non USA.

There is a hierarchy.

11. Red River Saga
    1:27 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

My nephew is stationed in S. Korea, he wore his UK Gear to these games.

12. Alex
    1:51 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

The uniforms were not KU’s uniforms. They were new uniforms that had both USA and KU on them. Secondly, this essentially was a Kansas team. Unlike the other teams in the tournament, which were comprised of players pulled from various colleges and pro sports teams, the United States was thought to be putting themselves at a disadvantage by selecting one school and sending no professionals. Why should KU misrepresent themselves as a selection of top athletes from the United States? If they failed, they would fail as KU, not as America. That’s fair.

Besides this, the fans that traveled to South Korea were KU fans. The team received very little media recognition throughout the tournament. I really can’t think why it would be so evil for a team to show thanks to its supporters by paying tribute to the school they support.

13. Tampa satchel
    5:06 pm July 13, 2015 Permalink

Bill Self volunteered to work with Team USA and this was his payback. I have no problem with quid pro quo, but I would have a problem if Cal volunteered and they turned him down.