University of Kentucky will enforce Code of Conduct to stop parties

Nick Roush in simpler times

Nick Roush in simpler times

Preventing the spread of COVID-19 on a college campus is a daunting task, but the University of Kentucky is determined to try. In addition to testing every student and employee on campus for the virus, UK will enforce its code of conduct on students who attend on- and off-campus parties. In a press release yesterday, UK said it is working with Lexington Police and city officials to keep tabs on such gatherings after several were reported over the weekend.

As in previous semesters, the Code of Student Conduct will be enforced this fall for students who live both on and off campus. Over the weekend, several parties at houses and apartments nearby campus were reported. City and university officials are working together to coordinate an appropriate response; that information is being provided to the university to ensure compliance with UK’s Student Code of Conduct.

If someone creates a condition where they have harmed someone else, such as hosting a large gathering that does not following state and local guidance, Code of Student Conduct 6. L. Harm and Threat of Harm and/or 6. AA. Violations of Law or other UK Policies apply.

Current state guidelines restrict gatherings to ten or fewer people. Yesterday, WKYT reported that students who attended parties on Maxwell and Aylesford Place are being contacted by the university.

“A number of citations, I believe around 11 or so or issued,” said Jay Blanton, University of Kentucky spokesperson. “I presume for things like either alcohol or noise ordinance sort of issues.”

“As you know, our code of student conduct makes pretty clear health and safety activities that might compromise the health and safety of our students is a violation of our student code of conduct,” Blanton said.

Code of conduct punishments range from warnings to suspensions to expulsion. Students can report parties via an online form, a hotline (859-257-3755) or email ([email protected]).

Do snitches get stitches if they’re helping stop the spread?

11 Comments for University of Kentucky will enforce Code of Conduct to stop parties

1. lexslamman
    3:07 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

Yes, even contact tracing snitches are still snitches and will thus receive said stitches.

• ClutchCargo
      3:14 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

Or potentially end up in ditches?

2. lexslamman
    3:10 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

Also, there are plenty of places to party in NoLi area and west of downtown that the campus people can’t/won’t monitor or control. That’s where the rowdiest revelry has moved to over the past decad3

• satcheluk
      10:22 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

That’s why they specifically mentioned in the article that they were coordinating with the Lexington PD to monitor students who live off campus. I was a dumb azz when I was in college, so it’s hard for me to be too judgmental, but I wasn’t dealing with a pandemic where my dumbazzedness could harm others. I hope they are mature enough to do the right thing.

3. BLUEKAT
    3:28 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

I would hope by now that these kids(& everyone) would get the message. These large parties are super spreaders and this is never going away until we all do the right thing. I dont need to explain what that is. I did more than my share of partying on UK’s campus including my epic party on Linden Walk which at the time a UK cop told me in 20 years on the job, was the largest on campus party he had ever seen. I was quite proud of that feat. I digress. I am sure the idiots will be idiots, but I hope they are the minority. Go Cats!!

• Bluehender
      7:51 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

They are definitely the majority

4. Lip Man 1
    4:06 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

Expecting college kids to follow these rules? Highly unlikely. UK will be shut down in a month because of the virus.

5. Lip Man 1
    4:20 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

Unfortunately you can’t legislate against outright stupidity.

6. light my fire
    5:17 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

All the kids have to say is they are having a blm Party and it’s okay

• T-Town Cat
      5:38 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

Good point. Will the students be warned, suspended, or expelled for protesting or rioting in groups of 10 or more?

• Jambluehue99
      5:43 pm August 11, 2020 Permalink

It’s just a protest in a designated COVID-Free zone. It’s impossible to spread the virus if you deem it a protest.