University of Alabama Apologizes for Sorority Recruitment Video

The video above comes from Alabama’s Alpha Phi.  Making videos for recruitment is nothing new, just like Pinterst pages and Facebook groups.  However, the University of Alabama made the sorority take the video off YouTube because…..

“This video is not reflective of UA’s expectations for student organizations to be responsible digital citizens. It is important for student organizations to remember what is posted on social media makes a difference, today and tomorrow, on how they are viewed and perceived,” said Deborah Lane, Associate Vice President for University Relations.

I don’t see anything wrong with the video, do you? #FreeAlphaPhi

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

76 Comments for University of Alabama Apologizes for Sorority Recruitment Video

1. CatsBy80
    3:38 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

“It is important for student organizations to remember what is posted on social media makes a difference, today and tomorrow, on how they are viewed and perceived”….

interesting… as long as that perception is deemed acceptable by the university?

2. BigO
    3:41 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Yeah I know in the big scheme of things this is pretty harmless. But as a father of 3 girls and wanting them to be taken seriously in the “real world” videos objectifying women like this does not help. Joke if you want but I this video and what it represents is pretty disturbing in my book on all accounts.

• BigAbes4UK
      3:55 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Please enlighten all of us about what is that is exactly “disturbing” about this video? It’s a bunch of pretty college girls having fun. I didn’t see anything wrong with it all.

• q
      3:55 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Objectifying requires someone from the outside to objectify them. These girls made the video themselves. It was just silly fun.

• ukjaybrat
      7:49 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

i’m a father of one girl. and i still don’t see anything wrong with this video. like big abes said, just a bunch of girls having fun. no one would have said a word if it weren;t for the bathing suit scene at the end. and it’s not like any of them were wearing anything super revealing. jsut bathing normal suits. nothing different than you’d see at any beach in the summer. this was a non-issue. alabama over-reacted

3. Duuuuuude
    3:43 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Didn’t even have any pillow fights…..

4. Scott
    3:45 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

It’s not anything scandalous. It’s pretty silly imo but do t see anything wrong with it.
    Big O I think you need to chill out a little.

5. Your Daughter
    3:50 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

So, if I join Alpha Phi, we are just going to walk/lay/dance around in slow motion, and blow glitter and lay by the pool and always look behind when we walk so you can make sure you see my ass and/or legs? The only requisite is I have to be hot? I’m going to Alabama! I’m going to be somebody!!!

This is education at its finest!

• David E.
      4:33 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I thought sororities socialized with fraternities? Just one football player, no other guys. That isn’t a lesbians only sorority is it? All those girls were holding hands, and touching each other, and always about 2/3 naked, but no guys mixed in anywhere. Funny, they showed a lot of football stuff, how come no basketball stuff? When I am old enough to go to college I think I will go to a college where sorority girls do things with guys and not just their sorority sisters. On on U of K.

• Hamburgers
      5:46 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

@DavidE. That is the single dumbest thing I have ever read in my entire life

• ukjaybrat
      7:51 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

“and always about 2/3 naked”

They were only in bathing suits for the last minute of a 4+ minute video…

6. WithinReason
    3:53 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I’m sorry I forgot why I was watching the video in the first place. What? I also really need to go back to college. Apparently Daisy Dukes never left us!

I wonder if the football player was a recruit or a current / committed play.

7. Le Docteur
    3:54 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Is it possible that this video is an absolutely accurate depiction of the quality, character and interests of these women? It depicts pretty tame, shallow, banality, that’s all. Maybe that message is good marketing for recruiting other sorority girls.

• ukjaybrat
      7:52 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

it WAS a sorority recruitment video….

8. MrsUk
    3:55 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

That was dumb. As a female I appreciate these videos because it would let me know exactly which sorority I don’t want to be a part of. I just wish men thought with…never mind it’s not even worth mentioning here.

• Exactly
      4:17 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

THIS! A thousand times over!!

• Exactly
      4:18 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

And most of the comments here are exactly what is wrong with the video.

9. NotmattJones
    3:55 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Who cares?

10. BenHur
    3:56 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Liberals want us to apologize for everything these days. Those girls should have made another video where they one-by-one said, “I’m not sorry, go f yourself.”

• Trevathan
      4:41 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

This is a liberal issue? You’re an idiot.

• BenHur
      5:43 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Were you offended liberal person? I’m so sorry for having a different opinion than you. You and your friends should have a march against me.

• Irony
      5:47 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Conservatives have the thinnest skin in the world, and yet they feel the need to call others out. Hilarious.

I agree with Trevathan – HITF does this have ANYTHING to do with politics?

• Hamburgers
      5:48 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

How is this a liberal or conservative thing? Why are you making it one?

11. android guy
    3:58 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I felt they didn’t spend enough time on the popsicle eating scene….

12. Andy
    4:00 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Using sex to sell a university? What could possibly be wrong with that?

13. Blue_Cat75
    4:06 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

That’s a lot of white girls.

• L
      5:59 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

Blue_Cat75, Exactly! Obvious message from this video. No person of color apply.

• Megan Green
      9:21 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

So if it was an Alpha Kappa Alpha video or a Delta Sigma Theta video, would you say “That’s a lot of black girls?” Betcha wouldn’t.

14. Daaaay-Um!
    4:10 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

More like Alpha PIE…. Kind of gets my elephant’s attention.

15. Mike
    4:12 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

When I die, I want this video to be played on repeat during the whole funeral. I just want everyone to experience the heaven I will be going to.

16. Rick
    4:15 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

All I noticed was that all of the girls were white and thin. Exclusive? No overweight or “other than white” girls need apply?

• Mixxy
      4:27 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Yes, forget black, chubby or homely girls. This sorority only has about two non-blondes, and only maybe three 8.5’s or below. I did see the one token “blonde girl who isn’t has hot as she pretends to be once you get a good look at her face”.

• catdaddyd
      5:21 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

The non white and non thin girls are members of the Omega Mu sorority.

17. J-Stylz
    4:15 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I saw nothing wrong with it.

18. iphone guy
    4:16 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I agree with android guy

19. Angelo
    4:16 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I think I saw a couple of brunettes.

• catdaddyd
      5:15 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Damn affirmative action.

• ukjaybrat
      7:54 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

i saw at least 3 in the group shot

20. djack1
    4:22 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Wonder what daddy has in his budget for each of those girls?

21. Tater
    4:24 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Where all the BLACK girls at????

• catdaddyd
      4:37 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

They are over at the lambda lambda lambda house.

• Leuther
      4:42 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Alabama is a Red State. The way things should be.

#RightPower

22. Scarsnbars
    4:29 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

This gives a whole new meaning to “cramming for finals”. The intellectual conversation in this sorority must be breathtaking.

• Mixxy
      4:31 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I’ll bet every one of them has an idea to promote world peace.

23. Muhammed Jihad
    4:30 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I hate this video.

24. eric
    4:30 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

These girls are celebrating being white, beautiful and thin…..all the things the career University types (liberals)don’t like. They don’t like it because these type of girls would have never paid attention to the University types when they were in college. The career University types are full of hate and despise for girls like this so they condemn their video for no reason other than they don’t like them. Pitiful.

• Mixxy
      4:34 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

An exchange I remember hearing about something else that was similar to this:

“Well, I never!”

“Of course not, dearies. You don’t have the right equipment!”

• LoL
      4:44 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I bet the majority of those girls are Democrats.

• Conservative here.....
      5:18 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I’m about as conservative as it gets, and I hate the video.

25. Ashland
    4:37 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Came in expecting the tip drill video. I can see worse than this on children’s television. Nothing to see, nothing to apologize for, move along.

• ukjaybrat
      7:57 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

and while some are saying this is a disgusting display of sexuality (dumb)… and others are making this a politics issue (dumb), we have at least one level-headed person in the comments section

26. Andy
    4:51 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

There isnt anything wrong with the video. People need to get over themselves. These girls don’t have any obligation to uphold anyone elses ideals about women. They are having fun in college. Sue them.

27. fatbrat
    4:51 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

There is nothing wrong with the video. The Alpha Phi always had the most beautiful women when I was in college. If they were to witness some of the activity that goes on at the frat parties then they might have a reason to get upset. They did kick our chapter of ACACIA off campus because of really great parties and was never to return.

28. Jim
    4:58 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Looks like they were trying to outdo the University of Arizona Alpha Phi. The videos are almost identical except Arizona left out the swimwear competition. https://youtu.be/syH29uAcnnY

• Blue Swag
      6:08 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

If I’m a recruit in any sport, I would have just committed to Bama. Sorry Zona girls.

29. Freethrow
    5:09 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t see one black person until they were going on the football field and that was a guy. I am sure the university is doing CYA here because as said above, I didn’t see anything wrong other than that.

• fatbrat
      5:35 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

If this were a Omega Psi Phi video would you expect to see any white people?

30. johnnyd15
    5:16 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Phenomenal!

31. Hicksy
    5:32 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

People see things how they want to. If you took away the Greek letters and Bama stuff, it would be an advertisement for the next season of the bachelor. Is that the right image to promote? That’s subjective. Are there a ton of people who love things that promote this same message and yet still commented on how terrible this was? You bet your…

32. Dustin
    5:33 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

And why was this removed??????

33. KENTEXAN
    5:40 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Like it or hate it… not sure why the University Should weigh in on this…. it is a Sorority that charges members a lot of money to Join, and they are not an official University Organization… if it were the Science Department I could understand the Removal Request… but I thought was a very accurate portrayal of what most Sorority life would be like from my viewpoint… honesty in advertising….

• KENTEXAN
      5:45 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

on second viewing the request could be more about the use of official school property, maybe they did not have permission to film on those premises shown in the Video that were on school property….

• Ha!
      6:11 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

“…very accurate portrayal of what most Sorority life would be like”

Explain.

(This will be good.)

• KENTEXAN
      7:07 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

” very accurate portrayal of what most Sorority life would be like from my viewpoint… ” is the correct quote… no explanation needed…. it is my viewpoint…

But for the sake of an open discussion of ideas…

I do not see anything in this video that I find as false representation to activities that a normal Sorority girl would partake in… Social Functions, Swimming, Dressing alike and Traveling in Packs….except for maybe the scene on the football field…that seems a little odd…

Nor do I see anything glaringly left out….

sure no one went to class, no one was shown studying, no one was shown in a science lab, or participating in any educational process whatsoever… but those are student functions and can be performed by members of a Sorority, but they are not a Sorority Function…college classes are purely an individual endeavor, and the Sorority cannot be held responsible for any failing grades, probationary student status, or dismissal due to poor class performance…

Did you find the Video to be out of Character for Sororities? I know there are always outliers that differ from the Norm…. I am sure that there are some sororities doing Charity Work, Building Community Relations, and Breaking down Societal Barriers…. but they are not the norm….

34. Loserville Hater
    6:49 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

There is not a number small enough to measure how little I care. Much ado about nothing.

35. What?
    7:32 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

There is nothing wrong with this video.

What, is it a crime now to have fun? Ugly people should not be allowed to ruin everyone else’s fun just because they are jealous.

36. Rick
    9:33 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I just cant believe in 2015 I just watched a 4 minute video of 100 white girls, and 1 black guy.

37. Nutwrap
    9:46 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see anything wrong with this. I wish the brothels I went to had advertisements like this.

38. JulieMarie
    9:48 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

People who think mainstream country music videos are cinema verite look at this and think, “What’s wrong with pretty girls having fun?” The rest of us are appalled by its non-diverse, sexualized, infantilized portrayal of sorority women. Where are the scenes of them at the library or doing community service? Doesn’t that stuff happen in between football games? If “they made it themselves,” why are the 2 credits at the end both men?

• JustDave
      12:11 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

The two credits are for men likely because the sorority hired them. Do you think the women were forced to make this video against their will at the hands of these two men? The people paying the money have creative control and I guarantee when they previewed this video not one of the members of the sorority saw anything wring with it.What did the women do that’s so wrong here? You do realize that there are exclusively black sororities and fraternities on campus as well don’t you? Are you appalled at their lack of diversity?

• JulieMarie
      5:29 pm August 18, 2015 Permalink

Dave, Check a history book. Slavery was real. The grandparents of today’s black college students weren’t allowed to enroll at white colleges. Black sororities & fraternities have a unique history and purpose, so no, I’m not appalled that they exist.

39. Teaus
    11:32 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I wonder if the request had something to do with a potential NCAA violation. If the young man is an Alabama athlete, his appearance could be viewed as him acting as a salesperson for Alpha Phi.

• ukjaybrat
      8:04 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

someone else said they may not have permission to film on that practice field or other university owned properties… that seems more likely to me, but ncaa recruiting violations are a fickle beast all in their own, so who knows

40. GateyGate
    1:42 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

That shit was the bomb. Love watching pretty women shaking some ass. Not a damn thing wrong with that. It is sexually appealing in other words sexy. Is that now taboo or PC and off-limits too? There is nothing here that objectifies anyone. If you hate on this then you hate on human nature. Beauty is an asset. I like sexy young women. I guess I am just a regular man with sex drive.

• FATCAT
      10:07 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

AMEN!!

41. catdaddyd
    11:25 am August 18, 2015 Permalink

Was none of the media complaining when the all black cheerleaders were bumping and grinding at UK’s first round ncaa tourney game.