UNC Basketball & Football Left Out of Amended Notice of Allegations

A live look at Ol’ Roy.

A live look at Ol' Roy.

A live look at Ol’ Roy.

For everyone that had a hunch the NCAA would let the Tar Heels off the hook, it’s safe for you to say, “I told you so.”  The details of the NCAA’s amended notice of allegations have been released. The men’s basketball and football programs have been left out.

This was the phrase in the first notice of allegations that nearly implicated the two major programs for putting players through an academic program that “went unchecked for 18 years.”

“This allowed individuals within the ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, basketball and women’s basketball.”

Instead of putting those two programs at fault, the women’s basketball team has taken the fall.  Here are the five changes in this document according to Andrew Carter of The News and Observer.

1. Jan Boxill, the former women’s basketball academic counselor, providing extra benefits.

2. Debby Crowder, the former African- and Afro-American Studies Department administrative assistant, committing unethical conduct.

3. Julius Nyang’oro, the former chairman of the AFAM Department, committing unethical conduct.

4. A failure to monitor the ASPSA (academic support for athletes) and AFAM departments.

5. And a lack of institutional control.

To read the entire document, click here.  The school has 90 days to respond before the NCAA Committee of Infractions has a hearing and unleashes their punishment (or lack thereof).

If you didn’t think the NCAA was a joke before, they’re a punchline now.  Roy is definitely laughing, and probably doing a little dancing too.

via GIPHY

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

20 Comments for UNC Basketball & Football Left Out of Amended Notice of Allegations

1. Willy
    5:42 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

The NCAA may put UK on probation for ten years just to prove how serious these violations by UNC were, probably further sanctions to come!!! WHAT A JOKE!!

2. Kfckernel
    5:55 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like they took so long to find a way they could play the part of investigating while doing nothing. They had this verdict in a year ago. We need a list of what athletes benefited from these classes. (Lawsuit looks like they only reprimanded the individuals because they refused to cooperate.) What a clown-show.

3. leon singleton
    5:56 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Louisville should be set free because what North Carolina done was much worse.

• david8577
      6:44 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

These types of comments blow my mind. You seriously think that underage sex slaves in the UL basketball dorms, paid for by the UL coaches, is worse than a few fake classes?

• Sarahvah
      7:04 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Obvious UL fan is obvious

4. CrocodileRunge
    6:08 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

167 men’s basketball players were enrolled in fraudulent classes since 1993, and as such were eligible by fraudulent means. The men’s basketball team should be punished when these players are declared ineligible retroactively. “Please note, policies and procedures outlines in May 2015, NOA and cover letter still apply” is on the first page of the new NOA, but I’ve also heard that it replaces the old one. I’m both confused and thoroughly upset by the NCAA, but more so with myself for expecting better of them.

5. J-Dub421
    6:10 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

The NCAA is a freaking joke.

6. Beavis
    6:17 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Having set the example with this trash, its open season. We can provide false classes and grades, pay them,, and give them down payments on things such as cars and jewelry and then get the NCAA to dump on the womens basketball team. Guess the NCAA makes up their own facts regardless of what the truth is. What a classless organization that is.

7. Megan
    6:21 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

So no academic fraud. Seriously? The NCAA is telling schools they can set up fake classes to maintain the academic eligibility of their players, and it’s not an NCAA issue.

What about impermissible benefits? Doesn’t that make players ineligible (Camby, Rose, Wall for 2 or 3 games)?

I’m withholding most of my outrage because, after all, this is Nick’s interpretation. Let’s see what others say.

• me101
      7:56 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

No they are telling UNC that they are allowed to cheat for years and no penalty.

8. bosshogg24
    6:25 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

UNC should have got the Death Penalty for 20 years of cheating plus have their Title vacated!

9. Reese Davis
    6:30 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

It’s the dumbest, most hypocritical organization that I know of

10. smahurin
    6:47 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Errr.. the men’s basketball is involved in the notice of allegations. The amendments listed are because UNC self reported all the violations, and then last fall had to rescind to add 5 violations pertaining to women’s basketball shown above.

Men’s football, basketball, women’s basketball are ALL included in the NOA. The changes just pertain to amended violations UNC added last fall after further investigations…

• smahurin
      6:50 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I’m not trying to be a jerk… but I think Nick just selectively read. We all do this from time to time when skimming stuff. But this KSR post is just wrong.

I’m not saying UNC men’s BBall will or won’t recieve punishment at the end of the day… but they are included in the NOA

• Okay, if you’re correct then I would have to rescind my post below at #11 [even though I can’t delete like on Facebook 🙂 ], but I just glanced at the document that is linked at the bottom of Nick’s post. It was TLDR, but when I word search “basketball” all the references were to the women’s team. If the men’s team is implicated, do you have a link to that document, or a reliable article stating so?

11. That’s a live shot of Ol’ Roy in that GIF and he’s saying:

“I’ve won TWO natty’s and came within an eyelash of a THIRD just 3 weeks ago and look at me now! Look at how I got over! Hah! If Cal as much as tells a player ‘It’s ‘their’ not ‘there’ for the way you’re using it in that research paper’ while just happening to look over his shoulder they’d roast him good! They treat me like I’m just a Gomer and treat him like he’s John Gotti!”

Okay, not witty but it illustrates the point.

12. serdi
    8:58 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I am done with college athletics including UK…unless, Cal, Eli,and Mitch, immediately cancel any contracts UKAA has to play North Carolina in any sport. For years all I heard from that school was that my UK was a hill-jack, cheating, inferior school. They were holier than thou…..well evidently they are. Cheaters all the way back to 1989 with Dean Smith the architect of cheating and now walking unblemished because they are above it all..the NCAA has confirmed it.

13. WIN
    9:44 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

We all know that no matter what happens, Duke and UNC are the NCAA’s darlings…always have been and always will be. UK will always be the highest target because we are a bunch of stupid hill-jacks who don’t know any better. I say Fu€k the NCAA and we should just do what we want, because if they want to get us they will, but they won’t get those who are committing 18 years of fraud.

14. sckysportsink
    7:33 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

UNC archery team is probably in real trouble!

15. Ky ski nut
    8:50 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I will be haunted by Roy’s dancing.