UK not included on Kira Lewis’s list of 12

Four-star point guard Kira Lewis narrowed his list to 12 and the Cats missed the cut. Lewis visited Kentucky nearly two months ago and had great things to say about Kentucky and John Calipari, but after that visit the Cats virtually stopped recruiting him. There were a few conversations here and there, but that was about it.

When Lewis announced he was cutting his list earlier this week I was curious to see if UK would make the cut. Some players will keep the Cats around in hopes of an offer, but Lewis didn’t. Maybe UK’s staff told him an offer wouldn’t be extended? Maybe Lewis wanted to be a priority and that clearly wasn’t the case at UK.

Kentucky already has Tyrese Maxey committed in 2019 and it’s unclear if Quade Green, Immanuel Quickley, Ashton Hagans, Jemarl Baker or Tyler Herro will leave after this season. My guess is Hagans leaves and maybe one more surprise departure, but the Cats aren’t desperate for guards in 2019-2020. Take into consideration UK has offered five guards/scoring wings in 2019 and it becomes more clear why UK didn’t recruit Lewis harder.

One source told me earlier this spring that Lewis was the fastest player in 2019. I suppose the Cats didn’t have a need for speed.

I’ll show myself out.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

9 Comments for UK not included on Kira Lewis’s list of 12

1. ukbubba
    3:36 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

I also live in Huntsville – Kira Lewis’ hometown. I have seen him play a few times as my daughter cheers for a rival school. He is lightning quick but I was surprised to learn that UK was recruiting him. Like most of the listeners/posters on this site, I watch a lot of basketball and never felt he was “UK good”. He will end up at Auburn or Alabama and I predict he will not sniff the NBA. Go Cats!!!

• Goose
      4:06 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

^^ Good info

• mashburnfan1
      4:20 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

” I predict he will not sniff the NBA.” Bold prediction when less than 1% of college players get to the NBA. Just because you have 7 NBA players on a team does not get you a title. There have been numerous great college players that were not NBA material, but you know having those great college players, especially veteran ones, wins more title. Auburn or Bama has/had players that could have played at UK, and some of them are/were better than what we currently have.

• runningunnin.454
      7:29 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

And that is why Alabama and Auburn have won so many SEC and NCAA championships.

• ukbubba
      7:32 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

You are right mashburnfan1 – statistically, it is not a stretch for me to claim he will not sniff the nba and I agree that both Bama and Auburn have had good players that could play anywhere. While players do develop (so he has a chance to prove me wrong), he is nowhere near the player nor the young man John Petty was in high school. Kira is fast and shoots a lot. He isn’t a terrific slasher and is not a lock-down defender. He has a nice shot and elevates well. Good luck to the kid … I hope I am wrong but I am still glad he won’t be suiting up in our checkerboard unis. 🙂

• Goose
      9:11 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Uhhhhhhh…….What?????

• Goose
      9:22 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Whoops, this question was for HoopsFans

2. HoopFans
    8:11 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Ukbubba, please …you live in Huntsville and rivaled against him.. you sound like a hater, he must have gave it to your team… As far as Kentucky goes..they ain’t won shit…Cal problem out of there cause he slow as hell at recruiting and losing recruits..dude for 40 plus offers …how many you got…or ever had.lol…hater..You compare this dude to J.P. please…none dribbling ass…please…let’s not forget about the talent J.P. has around him…I’m from Huntsville as well and I saw a young brother five J.P. hell….ask Coach Doss…since you live in the ville…I wonder why J.P. struggled like hell…Dan big blue…loser in my book…better call Tubby…

• Trevor