The University of Kentucky men’s tennis team notched their first two wins of the season today, knocking off both IUPUI and in-state foe Northern Kentucky University in convincing fashion. The Cats swept the Jaguars 7-0, and did faired the same against the Norse, sweeping 7-0 again. Here’s what Head Coach Cedric Kauffmann had to say after the day came to a close.
“It was a good start to the season. We were focused for a long period of time today during two tough matches. I think this team will get better very quickly. They are listening, focusing on what they need to do to get better, and will working hard to reach the expectations of Big Blue Nation.”
Despite being a young team and relying on some first-year players to play big roles early in the season, the Cats still managed to put forth a strong effort in both matches. Senior and Team Captain Enzo Wallart liked what he saw from those young players today.
“Proud of the boys today. We took care of business as a young team with a lot of freshman in the lineup. It didn’t look like we had freshman out there today. There weren’t any weak spots in the lineup. The team spirit is starting to get to where we’d like it, as well. I liked what I saw today from the boys, and I think they’re ready for Notre Dame next weekend.”
You can check out the entire recap of today’s matches from UK Athletics here, and as always, KY Wildcats TV has us covered with a short clip of highlights.
??wins in the ? on day 1??
— Kentucky Men's Tennis (@UKMensTennis) January 14, 2019
Here’s the final box score from this afternoon, courtesy of UK Athletics.
Kentucky 7, IUPUI 0
1. Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. Sean Bailey (IUPUI) 6-1, 6-1
2. Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. Alex Jochim (IUPUI) 7-6, 6-4
3. Theo McDonald (UK) def. Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-2
4. Kento Yamada (UK) def. Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kevin Huempfner (UK) def. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-1
6. Fabian Penzkofer (UK) def. Michael Koch (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-2
1. Cesar Bourgois/Enzo Wallart (UK) def. Alex Jochim/Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-3
2. Theo McDonald/Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. Sean Bailey/Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) 6-2
3. Kevin Huempfner/Kento Yamada (UK) def. Rodney Steven/Kyle Whittaker (IUPUI) 6-0
Kentucky 7, NKU 0
1. Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. SADAL, Aleksander (NKU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. SCHWARTZ, Nathan (NKU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kento Yamada (UK) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (NKU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Theo McDonald (UK) def. CARR, Blaine (NKU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Fabian Penzkofer (UK) def. MURRAY, Chris (NKU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kevin Huempfner (UK) def. HIDALGO, Felipe (NKU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Enzo Wallart/Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. SADAL, Aleksander/RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (NKU) 6-2
2. Fabian Penzkofer/Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. SCHWARTZ, Nathan/HIDALGO, Felipe (NKU) 6-2
3. Kento Yamada/Arthur Chen (UK) def. ELLEMAN, Nick/CARR, Blaine (NKU) 6-1
The Cats have nearly a week off before their next match, as they don’t play again until Saturday, hosting the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame in a 1pm match. Let’s hope the tennis Cats can keep up the hot start.