UK Hoops lost a commitment last night

mitchell

UK Hoops lost three pieces in one day yesterday.

The biggest of the bunch was the loss of freshman Batouly Camara, who chose Kentucky over UConn out of high school and started in 14 games this past season. Camara announced she will transfer to another program for her sophomore season, and was granted her unconditional release.

Shortly after that, assistant coach Tamika Williams-Jeter resigned from Matthew Mitchell’s staff. Williams-Jeter had been at UK since 2014.

Then came the decommitment of Madison Treece, a top-30 player in the 2017 class, Monday evening. Treece committed to UK Hoops last fall, but has decided to reopen her recruitment.

We are big fans of Matthew Mitchell here at KSR, which is why this is very concerning. He’s seen far too many departures over the last year and no one seems to know why.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for UK Hoops lost a commitment last night

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:20 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

This is very concerning. It would be nice to hear some sort of explanation…

2. leon singleton
    11:29 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Billy Clyde all over.

• plbutcher99
      12:05 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Your comment is very moronic and thoughtless. Coach Mitchell has PROVEN SUCCESS while Billy Clyde’s reign displayed no success. To compare Mitchell to Gillispie proves that you are a very negative person or just a plain troll.

• plumloopy
      12:21 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Sorry plbutcher99, despite the fact that he has been successful, this IS what most people are thinking. It could be that his success has allowed him to better hide what BCG could not even if it might not be as extreme.

I can’t help recalling the workplace truism: “People Don’t Leave Companies, They Leave Leaders (or managers).”

3. Sin The
    11:34 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I have no idea what is going on but I can all but guarantee that something is going on. Should be very interesting when we find out exactly what that is.

4. deWildcat
    11:37 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

“big fans of Matthew Mitchell here at KSR” probably makes it tough to ask Coach Mitchell tough questions.

• inside info2
      11:42 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

^^^ This. KSR has never claimed to be objective. They get a lot of access to UK Athletics by Matt sucking up to everyone. So when stuff like this happens, you can pretty much forget about them being objective unless the person in question is on their way out and KSR has nothing to lose. KSR favorite Rex Chapman is a perfect example of this. When you are at Drakes with the guy every time he is in town it’s hard to ask him why he stole thousands of dollars of iPhones.

(Drew is the sometime exception to the rule)

• Booby Petrino
      11:47 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

So they should not be big fans of his so you guys can satisfy your curiosity? Uh, okayl

• lexslamman
      11:59 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Booby – nice name by the way – the problem is that there’s no credibility here. Objective journalists can have viewpoints – they can be huge, huge fans of Rex -but they take a neutral stance when writing and reporting about Rex and they don’t voice their personal views as part of their work.

I quit political journalism because I couldn’t stop telling everyone – liberal and conservative – how illogical their political views were. As much as I tried to be objective (I don’t really air many of my own views), I couldn’t give B.S. an equal share of time and exposure as non-B.S., and I found myself uncomfortable making the judgment over what is and isn’t B.S. for my readers. Financial journalism is much easier, you’re either smart and lucky and wealthy, dumb and lucky and affluent, or smart/dumb, unlucky and poor/middling like most people.

I love KSR, always have, and Matt’s always seemed like a nice guy, but this is an entertainment site, not a news site. I don’t really see many sports ‘news’ writers anymore, everyone is a homer (like KSR) or a heel (like Tipton) and there isn’t a lot of room in between.

• WestCoastCat
      12:44 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

When did they ever claim they were journalists?

• WestCoastCat
      12:45 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

I mean, hell… this is at the top of the website:

I’d say they’re living up to that billing.

5. JusSayin
    11:42 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

This is insane. Why is nothing leaking?

6. NCwildcat
    12:09 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

He does a lot in the community, he is entertaining on the radio and in public appearances, however I worked in his office and behind closed doors he is Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde. I have always been amazed how much KSR loves him knowing how awful he is and how awful he treats his staff when no one is around. I have zero respect for this man regardless of wins of silly dancing or whatever. The truth is finally starting to get out. I am jaded only because I experienced it.

7. KatFromHell
    12:26 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

I am always suspicious of a man who parts his hair on the right side.

8. secrick
    12:31 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

We will know by Friday. It’s bad. No it’s for the best. I don’t know what i’m talking about.

9. jomani
    12:35 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Take this with a grain of salt but my best friend works with Uk athletics and has not had one kind word to say about Mitchell. Apparently a very different guy when not “on.” Just his opinion though

10. bosshogg24
    12:52 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

UK needs to hire the UCONN coach, lay down a blank check and let him fill it in! Mitchell is not getting the job done!

• fauxbobknight
      12:59 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

if only life were that easy. Should we open the checkbook for Bill Belichick too?

11. deltasig41
    12:55 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know any specifics, and I don’t have any connections in the UK athletics offices…But I can say this with almost no hesitation whatsoever…Ladies are leaving the program because of Matthew Mitchell. Period. He has proven to be a good recruiter, and has had a lot of success. But, when you have 6 (six!) players leave the program, regardless of their “star” level or contribution on the court, in a year, that is extremely alarming and something that needs to be addressed by the AD and president. What I find so strange about the situation, is that Mitch Barnhart has not made one public statement, even a cookie cutter one, in regards to the mass exodus of players and/or Matthew Mitchell’s status going forward.

If you can’t keep enough players on your roster to fulfill the scholarship availability, something is bad wrong. Hopefully we’ll get some sort of information soon.

• Matty_Cam
      1:15 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

I couldn’t agree more. Not only is it the current and future players leaving and de-committing, he can’t keep a full staff together. Not a good look for the Lady Cats nor for Coach Mitchell. He needs to address the issues and he needs to address them yesterday.

12. WillB
    1:25 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

With this many people leaving in such a short period of time, got to wonder if this transcends “he’s not the same guy behind closed doors” and enters into scandal territory?

13. NCwildcat
    1:42 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Expect the UK spin machine to kick in 3…2….1…..

14. BigBlue2U
    2:03 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Probably will get moderated, but c’mon KSR…with your access couldn’t you get someone with an investigative journalism bone in their body on this one? I get that this is a UK homer site; that’s why most all of us come here. Yet, if there’s something afoul KSR should — in my opinion — be the FIRST on top of it. All of the “What in the world is going on???” commentary smacks of complicit ignorance. Please, for the sake of true UK fans and the University, get to the bottom of it. Please.

15. bdown1
    2:13 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Another one bites the dust.

16. bdown1
    2:14 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Check it out – another commit wants out.

17. somerset bill
    2:26 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

let’s hope it turns out they all hated williams-jeter. i think surely, by this point, barnhart has found out what the problem is. and that probably rules out anything more serious than a clash of personalities. on the other hand, i don’t understand why this wouldn’t have been happening all along if it was just mitchell’s personality.

18. Bluebloodtoo
    5:42 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Obligatory fire and smoke post….

Too much going on here to not be a story behind it. It will all come out eventually.

19. Razor Ramon
    11:01 pm April 26, 2016 Permalink

Lots of trolls out tonight…..