UK Hoops loses yet another player

Freshman Batouly Camara is leaving the women’s basketball program, ESPN reported Monday afternoon. Camara came to Lexington as a top-1o recruit out of New York, and started 14 games during the 2015-16 season, mostly down the stretch after a breakout game against South Carolina. She told ESPN she plans to get through finals before beginning the search for her next stop, but did not give an explanation as to why she will no longer be a Wildcat.

Matthew Mitchell lost four players to transfer prior to the start of this past season, leaving him with a very limited roster. A fifth, Ivana Jakubcova, announced her plans to transfer late last month. Camara makes six departures in the last calendar year.

What in the world is going on behind the scenes with UK Hoops?

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for UK Hoops loses yet another player

1. deWildcat
    2:07 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I suggest using an investigating reporter – Larry Vaught??

• Angelo
      2:22 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

great idea

• Loother
      6:42 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Somebody at KRS should be able to get to the bottom of this – if permitted by M Jones…

2. Booby Petrino
    2:11 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Damn, she was one of my favorite players on the team. Wth is going on w Coach Mitchell?

• Booby Petrino
      2:13 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I mean, when all the other players left I chalked it up to they weren’t happy with their playing time. But Batouly was a starter by the end of the season so now I just don’t understand what is going on.

3. Musehobo
    2:15 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Speculation here: Either something happened that made a couple of them leave, which started a chain reaction or there’s been some MAJOR drama going on that has somehow remained out of the news (this seems sort of unlikely to me). I just hope whatever it is, that Matthew Mitchell hasn’t done anything wrong cause he’s one of the most likable sports personalities I know. Hoping this is just a domino thing.

• inside info2
      2:47 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

His likable sports personality is just an act. He is not very likable in real life. Most coaches are different when the cameras aren’t rolling vs. when they are, but Mitchell is totally different. His assistant coaches don’t like him and those around his program only tolerate him. So I’m sure the players feel the same way.

• Since you claim to have the “inside info”, a source would be nice. I can come on here and claim “My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Matthew Mitchell pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious, but he’s the greatest guy ever.”

It does seem to me something’s going on, but stop with these reckless accusations without giving us some evidence.

4. nybrasky
    2:22 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

This is becoming some Sheryl Swoopes stuff.

5. MikeCaseyunderappreciated
    2:22 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

This is very troubling. Add this to the fact that Coach Mitchell seems to miss out on high-profile Kentucky recruits like Erin Boley and the lady that played for U of L from Rockcastle County, and I question whether he can continue to be coach. Something is not right.

• the doc
      3:10 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Uhh, are you serious? From the 1982 season (first year of the women’s tourney) to 2007 (the last year before Mitchell took over), UK went to the NCAA tournament a grand total of SIX times over 26 seasons. In nine seasons as head coach, Mitchell has taken UK to the tourney 7 times. He has advanced to the Elite Eight 3 times and the Sweet Sixteen twice.

Matthew Mitchell is clearly the best women’s coach UK has ever had. Cutting him loose would be foolish beyond belief.

6. david8577
    2:25 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Losing Ivana really cut me deep.

7. david8577
    2:26 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Also, where is scoop Lemond when you need him?

8. Dboyz85
    2:27 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Who knows? I will say this….kids are self entitled pre madonnas today more so then ever. Alot of it is this small town arrogance of well I was so and so in rockcastle or so and so county so everybody owes me something, Then, to make it worse, you have parents that back it up. Just the facts folks.

• cayts94
      2:32 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

You had me at “pre madonnas”.

• Mathlete
      2:34 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

do pre madonnas wear cone-shaped training bras?

• Sarahvah
      2:38 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

This isn’t topix, dude

• Booby Petrino
      2:44 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Most of the transfers haven’t been small town girls. Batouly is from New York, NY.

• ukchambliss
      2:48 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

“pre madonnas”
      “then”
      “alot”
      -absolutely no regard for grammar or syntax or semantics or punctuation

This is atrocious. A lot of it is this small town arrogance giving off the impression of “Well, I was so and so in Rockcastle or such and such county and an education isn’t something I need to communicate my thoughts”. Then – to make it worse – you have parents who back it up. “Just my ignorance, folks”.

• donjohnson
      3:15 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I cannot think of anything on earth that screams loser more than someone correcting grammer on a sports blog

• ukchambliss
      3:19 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

*grammar

• Ukblu710
      3:38 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Morgan Rich** sry txt corrector messes up more than it corrects

• RealCatsFan
      5:25 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

ii, would that make Lady Gaga a “post madona”? 😀

9. MikeCaseyunderappreciated
    2:28 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Scoop is the obvious answer to get to the bottom of this!

10. Mathlete
    2:35 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

On the bright side, Mitchell could recruit anyone he wants at this point. There are more than enough scholarships to go around!

11. A_Blue_Wildcat
    2:39 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

How many is that now over the last two years? I’ve literally lost count at this point. There seriously needs to be some answers for why this is happening or there needs to be an investigation.

12. Bluebloodtoo
    2:41 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I haven’t been watching games, but it sure seems that they tend to under perform in big games vs expectations over the last several years. Those types of repeating patterns don’t go unnoticed in the locker rooms.

• buttercup
      6:19 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Beat UL. Beat Duke. Beat Tennessee. Lost to the no 2 ranked team in the country (SCar). Upset in the Sweet 16 by Washington, who then went on and upset Stanford to get to the FF.
      You should’ve stopped at, “I haven’t been watching games.”

13. Dboyz85
    3:50 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Yes, I apologize. It was not very well written. Of course, it gave you a reason to attack. However, I stand by what I say. You deal with self entitled children now. You have parents who back it up. You have individuals that can’t survive once their egos aren’t stroked in “X” county. Don’t you know who I am. NO! Once you are outside of “X” county there is not one person who cares who you are. It cracks me up the imaginary social structures people create. My whole point is that this permeates to the kids. They grow up thinking that their little county is the only thing that exists. Yes, it is small town arrogance. Attack some more, but it’s fact. Of course, some are just full of themselves because they have been hyped up from NYC and are prima donnas (auto correct sucks). Just because someone slops something down on a message board, does not mean they lack education. It meant I was careless, because I did not have time to be eloquent on a message board. Looks like I ruffled feathers.

• DelrayCat
      4:28 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Yes, of course, blame the players (and the parents).
      Maybe, just maybe, you might want to take a look at the millionaire coach who many within the program seem to dislike. I think perhaps the prima donna is one Matthew Mitchell.

• Booby Petrino
      5:39 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t see any facts in your post, just a bunch of opinions you somehow think are facts. I suggest looking up the definition of “fact” bc you’re way off here. You’re reaching for reasons to blame the kids. First it’s all due to small town arrogance, then it’s big city hype. Lol you can come up with any opinion, they aren’t facts at all.

14. Caliparty09
    4:05 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Please note that we made it to the Sweet 16 despite the transfers. Sounds like addition by subtraction to me. Hopefully this will help Coach Mitchell to weed out the problems before they get an offer going forward.

15. UKBlue52
    4:20 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

As they say, where there is “smoke” there is usually a “fire” close by. I would say there is a “fire” close by. Loosing the type of talent that Matthew has lost, there has to be something grossly wrong going on behind closed doors. I know Epps got in the dog house with Matthew but apparently she rebounded for the good. Not sure about the others that have left. Camara was a top 10 player coming out of HS. Either UK has a CT type recruiting class coming in where there was no playing time or something is stinking in Denmark. I think either Matthew or the university owes the fans an explanation. Schools loose players but dropping 6 players in less than a year, you have to wonder. What say you Matthew?

• sa_hunt
      4:29 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

LOSING ……….not loosing. Schools LOSE not loose. Loose is like a big pair of pants.

• sa_hunt
      4:30 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

LOSING ……….not loosing. Schools LOSE not loose. How do you know about a schools “loose” players?? hahahahahaha for the love of Drew Franklin its LOSE.

• Go Deep
      4:57 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

^^^^grammar correcting someone else and then misusing its instead of it’s^^^^ smh

16. dgtuk
    5:29 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Too many have left in too short a time. Coach Mitchell needs to issue some type of statement WITHOUT throwing all of them under the bus. Tricky situation….

17. RealCatsFan
    5:31 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Sigh, I checked the comments on this article hoping for some enlightenment on the situation and ended up with a grammar lesson and Madonna’s cone bras. SMH

But seriously, you can chalk up losing several players to transfer to the “prima donna complex”, but losing this many makes you wonder what is going on beneath the surface of the program. If it were simply bad attitudes you would see these transfers everywhere.