UK Hoops assistant coach Camryn Whitaker also leaving program

Uh oh…here we go again. With less than an hour until Matthew Mitchell’s interview on the show, a source tells KSR that UK Hoops assistant coach Camryn Whitaker is also leaving the program. Whitaker is the third assistant coach in the past two weeks to part ways with the program following Mitchell’s decision not to renew Adeniyi Amadou’s contract on April 14 and Tamika Williams-Jeter’s resignation on Monday.

Whitaker, a Cynthiana, Kentucky native, joined Mitchell’s staff last April following a successful stint at Dayton. At the time, landing her was a huge deal for the program, making this morning’s news even more disturbing.

Tune in to KSR at 10:30 a.m. to see what Coach Mitchell has to say about Whitaker’s departure as well as all of the other drama surrounding the program.

22 Comments for UK Hoops assistant coach Camryn Whitaker also leaving program

1. onsides
    10:08 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

What the hell?

2. Bluebloodtoo
    10:20 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I’m getting a little concerned about this. This seems to be a mass exodus. If Mitchell was holding a press conference to resign, then I’d be less concerened. It seems that Mitchell is planning PR management with his agreement to have 3 different PR gigs today. I’m quite interested to see what’s actually going on.

3. david8577
    10:48 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

This is starting to sound like his assistants were about to stage a coup. MM is trying to prevent it, so the whole click of assistants and players are bailing.

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      11:11 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

What were they gonna do, assassinate him and take over the program?

• david8577
      12:42 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Go, as a group, over his head and try to get him fired. Happens all the time in business.

• jhnny
      2:03 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Maybe, but it NEVER happens in athletics. Assistant coaches don’t take over a program by getting their head coach fired. Sorry, try again.

4. nmichave
    10:50 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I still can’t believe they’re sticking with the “UK Hoops” name. Poor choice of marketing. Sounds more like a club than a DIV I women’s basketball team. The team desereves more respect and a better name. #GoBackToLadyCats #NeverSawWhatWasWrongWithLadyCatsInTheFirstPlace

• Kernel Sanders
      11:28 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Well actually, it was “Lady Kats”, with a “K”, which I always thought was stupid. More stupid than UK Hoops.

• nmichave
      11:48 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

They should go “UK Bats” for the baseball team and “UK Gridiron” for football. Maybe “UK Mini Ping Pong” for the tennis team. “UK Goals” for the soccer team. “UK Green Hair” for the swim team. “UK Bang Bang” for the rifle team. (do we even have a rifle team??) Brilliance abound!!!!

• Seven Ate Nine
      12:19 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

UK does have a rifle team, and it’s actually one of the best in the country.

5. bosshogg24
    10:54 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Mitchell needs to resign or be fired, he has destroyed the women’s program, UK doesn’t deserve this kind of publicity! He won’t be able to recruit for years!

6. DelrayCat
    11:03 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I tend to agree. Clearly he’s pooped in the bed or something. No amount of glad-handing and excuse making will make up for this. He has set the program back to square one from which it came. Sometimes its best for all parties to just move on.

• Booby Petrino
      11:25 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Back to square one? How do you know that? We won’t have a deep bench next year, but our remaining players are pretty good. They have the ability to make a decent run, as they have almost every year with Mitchell. Just because we’ve lost some players and coaches doesn’t mean we will be awful next year, which would be square 1. I would love to make more than a decent run, but even making it to the Sweet 16 isn’t back to square 1.

7. Puns
    11:13 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

My question to you all is this. Don’t you think Barnhardt would of fired him if there was a major issue. Best thing to do is wait and actually see what is going on instead of presuming the worst. You never know what the underlying issue is. So many theories can be thrown out about what is going on.

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:49 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I agree that everything at this point is conjecture. However, please tell me the last time that any collegiate program had this much turnover inside of 12 months without a major issue surfacing eventually. I mean 50% of the entire basketball program has left in the past 6 months (estimate)?

8. Gym Nashtics
    11:20 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

If Whitaker is anything like her Dad, she probably dog cussed the hell out of her players.

9. blueballs80
    11:24 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I am guessing this is a result of an unusual popular move by Mitchell and now his staff is giving him the finger for it. They probably waited till the season was over. My other guess was there was some major inner turmoil going on prior.

10. doobie brother
    11:54 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

We do not know if the issues are ethical in nature or if they are differences in opinion at this point. I think Mitch needs sit down with Matthew and evaluate the situation. Is this a situation where players/coaches don’t like his style? If so, is it something that needs to be addressed? Or is it time for UK and Matthew to part ways and for UK to move in another direction?

I think we can all agree Matthew has had great success at UK and it would be a shame to lose him but sometimes things don’t work out the way we expected.