UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Notes

9ec6b4f4b5c911e3963d0eddec20ee24_8

A few quick thoughts while I watch a pretty well-played first half of Heat/Nets:

— I am a big fan of the type of schedule UK is putting together for next season. While most of the focus is understandably on the big name games (UNC/UL/Kansas/UCLA/Texas) and we have a pretty amazing run having to play four teams that could be ranked in the preseason top 10, it is also worth noting that the other games are filling in nicely. Kentucky is trying to schedule teams that are in line to potentially win their conference (EKU is the only public example we have but I hear others are coming) and the exhibition games have even ramped up a bit. Pikeville and Georgetown are probably two of the more difficult exhibition games UK could have scheduled and I like the idea of giving some games that could be competitive early in the season. The SEC is so far down that conference play is sure to disappoint slightly, but Calipari knows he has the horses and he is setting up a great schedule to challenge them. You have to like that.

BmfALiXIQAARUNp

I will grant you this picture is slightly creepy, taken by a person on an airplane sitting across the aisle from Rick Pitino (who was amazingly, flying commercial on a Chicago to Louisville flight). But for some reason, it is also fascinating. He looks about 30 years older and has the largest glasses this side of Bud Melman (look him up kids if necessary).

— I hope you got a chance to hear UK 4 star TE commitment CJ Conrad’s interview this morning on KSR Radio. There was nothing earth-shattering in it (scroll down and you can listen), but it did showcase yet another example of a kid that this staff has gotten who has the attitude necessary to turn the football program around. He talked about why he believed in this staff, how he came to Kentucky in part because he wanted to get immediate playing time and go for it in the SEC (he called it the “best football league in America”) and his desire to help change a culture. And he also mentioned that Drew Barker was a big piece of selling the whole experience of the Cats. This is how Stoops and company are doing it….Ohio, SEC, “Why Not Us”, Playing Time and Drew Barker…five pretty good methods for success.

— The state of Kentucky will be in the news non-stop over the next few months for the Senate race between McConnell and Grimes, but there will be few times we will have more (funny) coverage than today. John Oliver did a ten minute piece on the race on his HBO show last night and you can watch it here. Now let me warn you, it is REALLY NOT SAFE FOR WORK…like REALLY! So don’t blame me if you watch it…but behind the NSFW parts, are some funny and relevant truths about the stupidity of the messaging in the race versus the real problems in our state. Don’t let your kids watch it, but with really strong humor comes some recognition that we are in for a few months of watching our collective intelligence be insulted by candidates hell-bent on not dealing with what really matters in this state. And oh yeah, Rolling Stone today had a good article on Mitch McConnell, Rand Paul and the state as a whole today…it is also quite good and has less nudity.

BnecjoJCYAAz7FG

— Tonight was the Lexington Mayoral Debate and I freely admit I didn’t watch it. There are three candidates running and if you look at the picture above, you might recognize two of the candidates, Mayor Jim Gray (the skinny guy with the glasses), former Police Chief Anthony Beatty (the black guy with the too-small knot in his tie) and Bill Bryant (the guy who looks like he runs a funeral home). Oh wait, sorry…Bryant is not the candidate, he was the moderator. The third candidate is Danny Mayer, a professor who came to the debate wearing a green shirt. Now look I know nothing about Mayer (apparently I am told he is quite smart), his stances on issues (apparently I am told he is quite liberal) or his qualifications (apparently he has good ideas). All I can judge him on is this picture…and well, Danny we have to do something about this performance. The button-up, short-sleeved shirt tucked in (or potentially front tucked in this case) is a look that almost NO MAN can pull off. In the entire history of male clothing, only one man has pulled it off successfully as noticed by KSR listener Chester:

Boss Man

So unless you are from Cobb County, Georgia and about to feud with The Mountie, I suggest this look is not for you. And this goes double when you are on television attempting to represent a major city as its mayor. Look you may have the best ideas, the best plans or be the best candidate…but you at least have to wear a coat. As a sloppy dresser myself, I must say even I know to where a jacket when I speak in public behind a podium, even if it is ill-fitting. Give the world a chance Danny Mayer…maybe we will like you. But to do so, you can’t just go with the short-sleeved button-up green shirt. Next debate, at least go with a navy sports coat…it will do wonders for your campaign.

And with that, commence hating each other in the comment section….

Article written by Matt Jones

41 Comments for UK Fans of the Day Want a Few Notes

1. Daniel
    9:59 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

The guy in the green shirt reminds me of Steve Carrel in the 40-year old virgin.

2. craycray
    10:04 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

He looks like a corpse.

3. NashBlue
    10:09 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Mayor Mayer though….. that would be fun to say.

4. Chris from Paducah
    10:11 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I want to meet them if the first picture is of the fans of the day,

5. 2014election
    10:14 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Jim Gray is going to win this election by a lot. First, they’re all democrats and this mayer guy (who will definitely get killed in the primary) is big time against Rupp, but he does have some good ideas…Beatty would be a decent candidate if Gray wasn’t his opponent. Beatty’s wants to slow down the Rupp Project (hasn’t Rupp been developing for 3 years?…) and give bigger voices to the neighborhoods in the outer areas of Lexington…Gray should/will win by a lot.

• Gotta be Gray
      10:31 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Agree, outside of residents from the rougher neighborhoods on the outskirts of LEX eg. Georgetown Rd. I can’t see why anyone would vote Beatty. As a frequent area of downtown and a ticket holder for RUPP I’m much more interested in a renovation to RUPP and beautifying the centeral downtown area. Than a neighborhood that myself or family will visit for saftey reasons… Lipstick on a pig.

• Gotta be Gray
      10:32 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Visitor* not area.

• Walter White
      11:49 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

Beatty is taking Gray down!!!!

• RandyB
      11:56 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

Why can’t we vote for “NONE OF THE ABOVE?” All these guys are liberals who want to jack up the minimum wage and spend more money than we have. Having only Democrats to vote for mayor is as sure as Matt Jones pushing links to the ultra-leftist Rolling Stone and any video that is anti-Conservative.

6. seriously
    10:20 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I think they give Mitch more credit than he deserves at the end of that video in the ALG ad. Pretty sure he and Boehner have innies.

7. Deacon
    10:28 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Someone needs to tell Rick you are supposed to turn the phone off during landings.

8. $1.75 Tacos?
    10:54 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Did Coach Cal take his motor scooter to Florida with him?

9. Johnny Basketball
    11:00 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Every one of those girls in the first picture look good, from what I can tell from that polaroid camera photo.

10. inside info
    11:24 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I agree wholeheartedly with the John Oliver piece. Americans need to stop being sheep and voting for Republicans and Democrats. Start voting a 3rd party candidate into office every once in awhile and that will wake both parties up.

The Rolling Stone article was laughable. My guess is that half of it was made up or at the least highly exaggerated and the other half was Kentucky stereotypes and left wing talking points.

• St Ronnie was a moron
      2:03 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

What is the matter, too many big words for you in the article from RS?
      Anytime you preface a statement with “my guess is” it is a sure sign of either laziness or ignorance in disputing what was written.

• asdf
      8:37 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

The downfall of the RS article is the author trying to ridicule libertarian principles when he lacks the intellectual ability to even understand them. Making fun of people smarter than you can only end in epic fail. That’s been the death of many a liberal…

11. Dr. Phil
    11:29 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

If Danny Mayer is serious about wanting to be Lexington mayor, he had better start dressing and presenting himself like he does. One of the first things you are told when you go for a job interview is dress appropriately. If, Mr. Mayer is just running for fun, and does not really want to be mayor, keep doing what you are doing.
    But, if he thinks that he is so smart and likeable, that he can present himself like this and people will still elect him as mayor, he is a fool.

12. jhnny
    11:31 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Why is it amazing that Rick Pitino is flying commercial back from Chicago? Assuming he isn’t on school business, should we assume Rick Pitino must charter his own flights for personal business? He is too good to fly commercial? If he only flew charters everywhere would we say he is an elitest?

As an aside, I graduated from Kentucky. I am a HUGE KY fan. And yes, I’m older, and attended UK when Rick was coach. I don’t understand why this website and fans in general, are so hard on one of Kentucky’s best coach. He won a National Title for UK and brought us back from the dead. I think younger fans forget how far we had fallen in 1988.

The man is flying home from Chicago. If some creepy asshole takes a picture of the coach who won the 1996 National Championship for UK, who brought us back from the SI cover of “Kentucky Shame” and described his experience at UK as being in “Camelot” the least this website can do is decide not to post it.

• jhnny
      12:25 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

Wah! Waaaaaah! Waaaaah!! Wah! Wah! Waaaaaaahhhhhh! Wah!

13. FlightAttendent
    11:33 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Cell phones should be off during our decent into Louisville Mr. Pitino. You can text Ms. Sypher and the lawyer you hired for Mangok Mathiang once we reach the boarding area.

14. 4th Grade Spelling Bee Champ
    11:37 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Are you sure you know when to “where” a jacket?

15. Chaz
    11:46 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Hi Matt & company. Just want to thank you for the video link. I don’t watch HBO too often and I am not familiar with John Oliver at all, but that was entertaining and as impartial as it gets on satirical political commentary. As for the Rolling Stone article, I am reminded why I stopped reading RS after Hunter S. Thompson vacated the National Affairs Desk, but it would appear the author actually came to Kentucky before he wrote the story. Have a good night and remember not to make snap judgements of people wearing green shirts. Inappropriate, yes, but you have to admit he did stand out.

16. katfaninyourface
    11:48 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Pikeville and Georgetown tough games? Get a grip Matt. Our 2nd five could roll either one of them.

• Watson
      12:12 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

No shit, Sherlock.

17. Blue Skies Ahead
    12:36 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for your post jhnny. You brought back memories. I remember 1988 very well. All I wanted to do was scream!!! Being put on probation meant we had to survive a WHOLE year of no UK basketball on TV. It was rough! And I had just bought my first house. I could not invite friends over to watch a UK basketball game on TV. But when CM Newton hired and brought in Rick Pitino to Coach the KY Wildcats, it turned out to be the best decision ever made by a UK administrator in the last 25 years. Pitino turned the UK basketball program upside down. And now Coach Cal is one of the greatest hires ever by a college basketball program and is taking it even higher! ………..Just old people talking….lol. Go Cats!

18. John
    1:08 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

Who to vote for??? A mass murderer that kills everything in sight, or the oldest, whitest, most shriveled …. in the country. I think we need a mass murderer just to keep things interesting. HAHAAHA. In fact half of the senate needs a good killing anyway. So funny. When do we get the Martians running for office, that’s the next step.

19. Booge
    5:07 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

LOL at the RS article. Ultra-lib hack job. But it is RS, so I’m sure most of their dozens of readers actually believe it.

• theWilkman
      10:46 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

They don’t even attempt to seem un-biased. I love how the author surrounds every mention of Paul and libertarianism with the most dismissive adjectives he can think of. Can’t believe anyone over 22 still reads that rag.

20. O
    6:23 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

That girl in white.. Wow

21. Hawkeye Tim
    6:53 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

Wear not where

22. Incalwetrust
    7:30 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

You said liberal and smart….pick one…can’t be both

23. JayOne
    8:12 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

Politics, politics, politics. After seeing what Lexington has to offer up as a mayor, I am so glad I do not live in that place. Big Boss Man would have the ground breaking for the New and Improved Rupp Arena by sundown. Write him in.

24. asdf
    8:26 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

If you want to win an election, then you have to wear a monkey suit. Yes, that is stupid, but stupid people vote.

25. Kevin L
    9:00 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

That doesnt even look like Rick P… .who said it was RP?

26. NashBlue
    9:18 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

That picture looks like Michael Douglas in Ghost of Girlfriends Past

27. Bazinga
    10:07 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

That John Oilver piece you linked to on HBO about the McConnell/Grimes senate race is AWESOME! Freaking hilarious.

28. Kreyendick
    11:12 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

With the glasses and the unkempt suit and tie, he looks like Steve Spurrier after happy hour…

29. brian
    11:21 am May 13, 2014 Permalink

The Rolling Stone article could have been written about many states and the economic decline…plenty of blame to go around..one of the few examples of bipartisanship is the decline and decaying of much of America.

30. univky
    1:05 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

A very liberal professor????? Get out of here….

31. bleedingblue
    4:04 pm May 13, 2014 Permalink

The Liberal with good ideas???? What the F is that??? I consider myself a liberal and I think that 99.9% of all the liberals out their are really communists. If your liberal you want a heaping liberal amount of ice cream a liberal amount of freedom a liberal amount of keeping my own money.

Liberals today are communists they want to turn America into what China is right now and the Republicans are holding their hand and going along right with it. The only group I would align myself with would be something like Liberterians or those who call themselves Tea Party people. But other wise both the Dems and Reps do everything possible to squelch those that want true freedom for themselves and less power for the Government.
    We are going to collaspe as a country thanks to the progressive policies by the Dems and Republicans. Police State here we come!!!

• commonsense
      5:26 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

This is a terrible post… starting out with some strange generalizations that make no sense, and then descending into gross inaccuracies. First, suggesting liberals are communists, it just makes no sense. You could suggest liberals are socialists. I suppose you fail to see the distinction? Its certainly worth educating yourself on those differences.

Also, libertarians, at least real libertarians, who know what being libertarian actually means… absolutely do not consider their movement the same as the tea party movement. They are totally different. Libertarians do – or at least, did, in the beginning – want to tap into the tea party enthusiasm, but the tea party has totally gotten away from the original ideas (of being focused on truly fiscally conservative), and has just turned into a socially ultra-conservative group. Libertarians are, in many ways, very liberal on social policies – preferring to stay out of the individual liberties of Americans. On the social issues front, about all libertarians and the tea party have in common, is 2nd amendment rights. But, these groups are total opposites when it comes to issues like gay marriage, drug regulation/legalization, the protection of essential liberties like the right to privacy, abortion, and a number of other critical issues. To me, the tea party is nothing like the Libertarian movement at all. Its just that so many right wingers are so ignorant, that the key Libertarian figures have to try to tap into some of that Tea Party enthusiasm, even though the Tea Party has gotten completely away from their roots. How can you be a group for small government, but not for individual liberties? Its grossly hypocritical. Just to give you an example of how different these are – the politicians I most identify with (there are very few), they are Libertarians. The politicians I disagree with most vehemently, they are Tea Party people.