UK Fan of the Day Wants Ten Quick Hitters

BosKWsKIcAA6Q85

Normally when I write here, I write long paragraphs filled with insight. Not tonight, ten quick hitters before I head off on vacation for two weeks:

1. I love that the SEC Tournament will be in Nashville for 8 of the next 10 years. The SEC Tournament is at its best in Nashville, where UK fans can dominate and the streets are packed downtown. The one year in St Louis will be a good experiment and the one year in Tampa will be terrible. But give me 8 of 10 years in Nashville and I will take it every single time.

2. By the time I come back on June 15, I expect you will have another couple of UK football commitments. The staff has hit it out of the park on early commits but they have a couple of others in their sights for early June. As camp season begins and more kids get towards campus, I expect UK to hear of a couple of other huge gets in the very near future.

3. The Bahamas trip will be epic (as you know) but I was disappointed to hear that Willie Cauley-Stein will not be able to play during the summer. This isn’t a surprise after his post-season surgery, but it would have been nice to see the entire team together. Still, it is a chance for Marcus Lee, Dakari, Karl Towns and Trey Lyles to find their footing and showcase their skills before the brutal big man competition next fall.

4. I can’t get over this story from yesterday about the Ashland hospital “King’s Daughter” and its $41 million settlement with the federal government for Medicare and Medicaid fraud. You really need to read the article for details but it boils down to this…the hospital performed over 500 HEART SURGERIES that were deemed unnecessary, solely for financial profit. That means 500 plus people in the Ashland area were given open heart surgery when they did not need it. Scary, scary stuff.

5. My favorite story of the week came from the 2015 basketball recruiting world when Jaylen Brown (who is a stud and I think goes to UK) said that he has told some coaches to “chill a bit” with all of the phone calls. He admitted what we all have known, which is that it is strange for high school kids to have to talk to grown coaches multiple times a week. He said that the coaches are wearing him out and he may decide sooner because of it. He specifically said however Calipari isn’t like the others the few times he calls, which once again showcases that he just does things better than everyone else.

6. Buzzfeed continues its tradition of stories that mention each state (we love those) by doing a post on what your state says about you. What does being from Kentucky mean? I think they nailed it:

Bo1NW7iCMAAzm48

7. It isn’t as hyped as the basketball encounter but the UK Baseball weekend in Louisville is huge for the program. The Cats have a chance to beat Louisville twice (as they have already done twice) and in the process, book a trip to the Super Regionals. They open with Kansas on Friday and then would get the Cards on Saturday in the Double Elimination tournament. I wish I were in town to watch it (not least of all because to get to the press box at UL, you have to walk through the Athletic Director’s suite), but hopefully they still pull it off. And congrats to AJ Reed…National Player of the Year is an amazing accomplishment.

8. This is why I love the internet. I thought 50 Cent’s first pitch was the worst first pitch of all time. So what does Deadspin do? They chart the first pitches of the 30 most famous in recent history. The article is worth a look and the chart below showcases…it was the worst:

iokfpewjcodzd4tvs37t

9. The SEC is considering implementing a 30 second shot clock for exhibition games this year as a test to see if the shorter clock helps the game flow. Whether they do or don’t (they are deciding tonight), I am for the change in college basketball. There is no reason to take 35 seconds, and a shorter period would increase the importance of a pressing defense and more possessions will help the better team win…all improvements the game needs.

10. Finally, I am leaving on vacation and will be off this site and radio for two weeks while I travel across our great country. While I am gone, Drew and Tyler will handle this site wonderfully and the radio show will be navigated by a crew of KSR SPECIAL GUESTS HOSTS. They should be fun (and different) shows and I hope you will check them out. Lots of people with different perspectives and some that have never hosted a sports show before. Plus two sets of UK coaches, women’s Coach Matthew Mitchell and UK football Offensive/Defensive Coordinators Neal Brown and DJ Eliot will be taking a swing at hosting a show by themselves. It should be a lot of fun and I hope you will all tune in and give them some support. It is a great lineup:

KSR RADIO GUEST HOSTS

Monday JUNE 2: Replay of the UL Pregame/Wisconsin Post game Shows

Tuesday JUNE 3: Darrin Horn and Ryan Lemond

Wednesday JUNE 4: “Cougartown’s” Josh Hopkins

Thursday JUNE 5: Tony Vanetti and Drew Franklin

Friday JUNE 6: UK Women’s Coach Matthew Mitchell

Monday JUNE 9: CBS Sports’ Gregg Doyel

Tuesday June 10: The comedians The Sklar Brothers

Wednesday June 11: CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein

Thursday June 12: Former UK Quarterbacks Tim Couch/Jared Lorenzen

Friday June 13: UK Offensive Coordinator Neal Brown and Defensive Coordinator DJ Eliot

Finally before I go, the kids all do “Throwback Thursday” nowadays (with the #TBT) so I thought I would add one as well. Here is a picture from four years ago, when I dressed up as a UL fan for a tv segment with Tony Vanetti. Some of my proudest work: Bo1I9fOIgAAAL3H

Article written by Matt Jones

37 Comments for UK Fan of the Day Wants Ten Quick Hitters

1. That Guy
    8:08 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Matt, I don’t wanna be that guy but as a physician I feel compelled to point out that they did not receive open heart surgery. Cardiac stinting is minimally invasive and thus has minimal risk (please do not misconstrue this as a justification).

• bill
      8:37 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

This isn’t the only hospital that’s done this…st joe got fined for it too and a physician went to jail…some patients had multiple stints which begs the question how dumb these ppl were to not ask their physician questions.

• bluemanchew
      10:53 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Matt, you are only looking at one side of this story. Ask the people if they wanted this minor procedure done. The government ( obamacare) didn’t think they needed this done because of various reasons, mostly they were too old to have quality of life left, or there was a pill they could take for the rest of their life (which most likely have horrible side effects). Obamacare is just looking for the cheap way out. If it was someone you cared about you would see it differently.

• justsayin
      11:12 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Bluemanchu, please read up on the aca please. The insurance companies are private. This is not the VA. If a doctor or hospital makes a bad decision it is on them. Next thing we’ll hear is that Obama is at fault for the western forest fires

• bluemanchew
      11:19 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

They would not be using medicare if they have private insurance. Please read the article and the obamacare mountain of paperwork included. Even the people that voted for it, didn’t read it. Also the government wouldn’t be asking for money back if private insurance is paying.

• bluemanchew
      11:22 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

And I do believe that liberal policies of not allowing people to clear out deadwood and water conservation may be the cause of those fires

• justsayin
      11:43 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

What is so sad is that you and others can read a story about blatant fraud and human suffering and simply run around and say it is Obamcare that is the evil culprit here. Why aren’t thousands of hospitals doing the same thing then? Because it is illegal and wrong and not some black helicopter Obama conspiracy.

• bluemanchew
      12:04 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know what you are so angry about. I know a lot about this subject, I buy my own health insurance and have studied this for years. You went back read the article didn’t you? I don’t believe in black helicopters. I just don’t like the government telling me what I can do. No matter what party controls it. I also don’t like people who use “Bully pulpit” tactics. I am deep in this debate and live it every day. I use healthcare a lot. If you don’t know anything about it move on. I’ve had people like you sent after me before (this isn’t my first disagreement with matt). I will not lose this argument though. I know too much about it.

• bluemanchew
      12:10 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

You said thousands of hospitals are doing it. So answer that question why? Because hospitals are in the business of caring for health. The government is in the business of paying for this monstrosity. Which one are you going to trust? And its chew not chu. Its a play on redman chew not foo man chu.

• JustSayin
      7:57 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

dude, i’m not angry. i actually feel sorry for you. I never said thousands of hospitals are doing it. I asked why they are not. It is because it is morally wrong and illegal. Once again, this is NOT government healthcare. Google ACA faq and you’ll see the myriad of facts regarding it. The government is subsidizing some money for poorer folks to be able to afford healthcare. They are not “paying” for the whole damn thing … again, this is PRIVATE insurance that people can choose on THEIR exchanges, either state or federal. I still have my insurance thru my job, nothing has changed for me. My sister and her husband have insurance for the first time in 15 years because of their prior poor health and age. My buddy wants to not get insurance because he still believes Obama is a Muslin, even though he has two kids. He did say he’ll consider it when Obama is no longer president, if that makes sense at all. It takes all kinds i guess.

• UKFAN248
      9:32 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Really .. Obamacare is to blame for the atrocious acts of KDMC? It was 2006-2011 .. Bush was in office until 2011. Blame Obama for what you want, but no one is to blame, except KDMC and their doctors.

• Musehobo
      9:46 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Those of us who can think rationally, without feeling the need to regurgitate Fox News talking points, can understand when and where to place appropriate blame. I am not a fan of Obamacare, but I don’t feel the need to blame it for fraud committed by a hospital. Even if Obamacare created a situation where the fraud was financially beneficial to them, it doesn’t make Obama at fault. Blame the right people. You have an agenda, and you’ll bend the truth to get your agenda pushed.

• UKFAN248
      10:55 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

2009 … Bush was in office in 2009 not 2011 … just seen my mistake

• Tom Seaver
      12:52 pm May 30, 2014 Permalink

UKFAN248,

You are correct that Bush was in office in 2009. He was in office until all of January 20. So, Obama would be in office since January 2009. Good that you seen your mistake. Now for that pesky verb tense!

2. Old Transy Guy
    8:14 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

As i did with a comment on that post 4 yrs ago Matt, I still maintain that you look like a short haired Michael Jackson if he were a card fan

3. MeLikey
    8:25 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Good night nurse! That pic gives Ashley Judd in the hockey jersey a run for her money. Suck Egg Mule.

4. Catlogic15
    8:32 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

A Kentucky native but I’ve lived in Reno and both slopes of Colorado. I’ve been fortunate as well to have seen most of all of this big and beautiful country. The open West Is particularly awesome. Northern California and the Northwest as well. Maine is awesome. I encourage those that consider “destination” vacations such as Cancun or Orlando to consider seeing the vast and wonderful parts of the US you may not have considered. You won’t regret it.

5. dirtbagUK
    8:34 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Matt – KDMC wasn’t the first this year in Ky, just largest. St Joseph in London had similar allegations settled for $16.5mil back in January. One Dr even got some jail time.

6. KentuckyGirl
    8:35 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

As to Hit #1 – I agree on all points! Unfortunately, I live in Tampa. Fortunately, I will be a wild and crazy Wildcat Fan at the SEC Tournament that year!

As to Hit #6 – You’re absolutely right … they nailed it! I LOVE MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME!!!!

7. Creampie
    8:36 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Yessir. I think I’d be appropriate for her. Mmmm hmmm. #AllInternal

8. Slappy
    8:56 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Kindly, stop being ridiculous. It’s Playboy time.

9. That Guy to That Guy
    9:06 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

#1 Hate to be that guy, but as a physician, shouldn’t you know that the correct spelling is “stent”?

• bluemanchew
      11:07 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

I have looked it up and found it spelled both ways wiki even goes as far as calling it stint/stent. No explanation found on why two different spellings.

• Megan
      8:27 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Boy, you can’t be wrong about anything, can you? It’s stent. Anyone with a passing familiarity of medical knowledge knows this.

I took your suggestion and looked up “stent” on wiki, and “stint” is nowhere to be found. Further, here’s what you get when you look up “stint (disambiguation)”: “Stint, a word often confused with stent, a medical device used to hold open arteries and other bodily conduits.”

So there’s your answer. You’re confused. Something we already knew from your Obamacare comments. Stop trying to make the facts fit your opinion.

• Peter Parker Swag
      9:48 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Thanks Megan. It’s definitely not spelled both ways. The only reference I could find to a “stint” as a medical device was that it is a commonly misspelled version of “stent.”

• bluemanchew
      9:53 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Stint – Medical Definition and More fromMerriam-Webster

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/stintDefinition of STINT variant of stent. Learn More About . Dictionary: Definition of “stint” Thesaurus: All synonyms and
      Boy your internet skills are lacking if you didn’t find what I did. I looked it up had an open mind, and objectively searched. I didn’t have any opinions on the subject of spelling just wanted to see. And commented on what I found. I never said which was right or wrong. I’m not saying any president is better than another. I just don’t like obamacare. I know how it works, it affects me so instead of reading talking points from a white house press briefing, I read the thing. Hated it. You can copy down all the feel good stories from cnn you want. Fact is millions of people are affected adversely by this. I thought matt was pulling bully pulpit politics by his selective commenting on certain subjects. Made my opinion known. And as usual here come matts lackeys attacking.

10. Ankle Grabber
    10:56 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

It is funny that you always post hot chicks on your notes. Most people already know. Why not just admit you like to smoke the balcony pony.

11. bluemanchew
    11:15 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Before anyone asks I am contemplating having this minor procedure done so that I don’t have to take half the medication I currently take ( which really does have horrible side effects) and will improve my life. I have cardio problems that are hereditary. Luckily I do not have obamacare. And would not be subject to the government telling me what I can and can’t do.

• Jeffy
      11:06 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Hate to break it to you, but you’d actually have to take *more* medicines if you got a stent, not fewer. I’m sure you already know that, though, what with your medical and medico-economical expertise (thanks for enlightening all of the rest of us).

This is the principal problem with American healthcare, btw. People like you who smoke, don’t exercise, and eat fast food for 40 years and then demand the doctor fix it all overnight so you don’t have to take any medications or make any lifestyle alterations whatsoever. Oh, and then blame it all on “genetics” and “toxins.” Personal accountability, man. It means more than bitching about taxes and demanding everyone else just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and figure it out.

12. Eight Letters
    11:21 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Have a great vacation Captain….we will try not to burn down the place while your gone. Be safe and have fun!!

13. ScottyB
    11:37 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

I freely admit that I did not read a word of this post. That girl is so f’n HOT that all focus left the building. Who is she? She is Julius Randle’s girlfriend hot. WOW. I need a drink!

14. Big Blue Smurf
    7:50 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Matt, first have a wonderful vacation, look forward to hearing about your trip when you return. I’m just not sure that you will see anything more beautiful than the lady you posted on your insights today. Hope she also will return to the site soon!!

15. bigabes4uk
    8:51 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

Ah come on Matt– why is Tampa gonna suck? I live in SW Florida, as well as 1000s of other UK fans. I’m really looking forward to the SECT being here!

And that girl….WOW ….that may be the finest little thing I’ve ever seen on here. Goodness gracious – she’s beautiful

16. Gap Tooth Danny
    9:09 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

#9 This will backfire, at least with games ref’ed by Shows or Valentine (for example) because going to a “pressing” defense will result in even more fouls being called, SLOWING DOWN the flow of the game. This is my point of view.
    Have a great 2 weeks Matt, I’m certain WE will 🙂

17. Gmoney
    10:43 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

WOW she is delicious…

18. BGKY Dave
    12:39 pm May 30, 2014 Permalink

Matt, I hope that beauty is going with you on your vacation. If her personality matches her looks you are a lucky man my friend!

19. Thearmadillojackal
    3:38 pm May 30, 2014 Permalink

I would cut off my peen to date that girl…