UK Fan at the Indy 500 wants Carlos Toomer poems and podcast

Boe7hDXCYAEDWns

If you listened to the radio show this morning, you heard Matt and Ryan discuss poetry, which, as a true testament to KSR, probably isn’t the most random topic they’ve talked about in the past few years. Maya Angelou’s passing brought up the subject, and even though Ryan doesn’t know who Maya Angelou was, he was able to list other lesser known poets and even recite some verses of Robert Frost’s “Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening.” Yet another chapter in the bizarre life of Ryan Lemond.

Eventually, this led to talk of Carlos Toomer, the former UK basketball player who penned some pretty great poetry back in the day. Toomer was Rick Pitino’s first recruit at Kentucky, and after his playing days were over, he wrote a book of poetry that included poems dedicated to fellow former UK players. Back in 2006, we posted those on the site, but since that was almost eight years ago when the site was just a wee baby, I thought it’d be fun to revisit some of them.

Tony Delk

What us love?
Is it a force between two beings?
Is it something you feel for one another?
Love, what a wonderful thing

Wayne Turner

you are who you are
I am who I am, I’m here if you need me
I’ll do what i can
A helping hand for you to hold
A warm heart so you’ll never be cold,
I’ll listen to you whenever you call
I’ll support you so you won’t fall
I’ll walk with you
I’ll hold your hand
I’ll stand beside you
I’ll understand
This is the love I have
this is the love i give for free
this love is for my friends
that are closest to me

Bill Keightley

Bill Keightley-What you are to me…(UofK)Head Manager1963-
Poems are for poets,
Not angles from above.
So I’ll write you a song,
And lave it with love.
I may not be the knight in shining armor,
That you always expected,
But I hope that my love, given to you,
Will not be rejected.
This Valentine’s Day is something special,
And have a day for you and me to enjoy.
If you haven’t gotten the hint,
I’ll write it in this black ink:
I care for you so much,
More then you could ever think.
So if you’ll be my Valentine today,
Maybe our low spirits will go away.
We will be happy for a long while,
And each time we see each other,
I know we’ll smile

I mean, who wouldn’t want Bill Keightley to be their Valentine?

Other topics the guys touched on today: whether or not Ryan’s out of the doghouse, the name “Titus,” and the UK Softball team’s trip to the College World Series, including an interview with head coach Rachel Lawson. Go check it out.

LISTEN TO KENTUCKY SPORTS RADIO

23 Comments for UK Fan at the Indy 500 wants Carlos Toomer poems and podcast

1. amirite
    4:50 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

1) don’t be a douche and wear the shorts+loafers+no socks combo.
    2) #anglesfromabove

2. Joe
    5:00 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Jeff Brassow was Pitino’s first recruit at Kentucky. But yeah, Carlos’s mad poetic skills are still everything they should be. It kind of makes me want to write a poem about Carlos Toomer’s poetry.

3. Gavin Newsome
    6:12 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Did he even look in the mirror? The d bag days of dressing like a San Fran tart are over.

4. Poff
    8:33 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Is that JAE4?

5. Rita Mattingly
    9:44 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Ayyy! Haters will hate! My man has a all access pass to the Indy 500 & you guys want to talk about his clothes? Don’t you people have jobs? I LOVE IT! Keep doing you JAE4!

LOOKING GOOD BABY!

Ps: this guy is a HELL of a Lawyer!

6. Gavin Newsome
    11:24 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Heck of a lawyer?????? How many times did it take him to pass the bar exam? I’m guessing based on his boat shoes that he barely made it in some tier 4 or lower law school. Which one was it? Jefferson? Golden Gate? Cooley?

7. Kevin Sharp
    12:50 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Gavin you’re an awful big hater? So what do you do for a living Mr. Big Shot Gavin? Only thing in that picture that matters is he is representing Big Blue Nation with that sweet polo right on the brick of the Indy 500 and he doesn’t have a line beard. Gavin when you get front row seats to the Indy 500 post your picture so we can all judge your outfit I’m sure your mom picked out for you!! #HatersGonnaHate #GoCATS!!

What’s the over/under Gavin has a line beard and a flat bill on when he’s on the front page of KSR!?

8. MC
    6:34 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I miss Bill Keightley. He was a special man who the players and those who knew him truly loved. RIP Mr Bill.

9. Tampa Satchel
    8:07 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

In reference to the Bill Keightley poem, what kind of “angles from above” was he referring to? Right, obtuse or acute?

10. Gavin Newsome
    9:05 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Deflect all you want about his poor attaire or how his mum and dad gave him everything except real hope and intelligence. Still waiting for the number if times it took him to pass the bar exam, I’m guessing two maybe three attempts. Guess that is what makes him a great lawyer.

11. Jenny Gravelswitch
    10:19 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Give some cheese with all that wine I’m hearing from Gavin hahaha

12. danny r
    10:29 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Gavins a little angry that hes at the indy 500, and passed the bar his first go round… wait till you see his house and soon to be wife gavin youd be pissed

13. Rita Mattingly
    10:36 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree. I don’t understand why Gavin is sweating Mr. Elder so bad. He’s a fine young man and his parents are amazing people. You want to talk about, “real hope & intelligence?” I’m sure he’s intelligent enough to “Treat others the way you would want to be treated!”

Yes I’m speaking to you Mr. Gavin in “hope” that you will get rid of your angers and find peace an happiness. Also, enjoy KSR for its information, not so you can make up some name and bad mouth others!

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Mattingly

14. Gavin Newsome
    10:41 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Sorry, he did not pass the bar the first time. That’s easy to check into and yes, this great lawyer failed it the 1st time. So yeah, there is that.

House? Who paid for it? Exactly, he didn’t. It is sad to see folks defend mediocrity like it is the new normal.

So Rita, if you’re dislike for honesty is not palatable may I suggest a trip to the Emerald City where you can ask the wizard for a brain.

15. Jenny Gravelswitch
    11:01 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Awhh Gavin still crying about JAE4. Haha poor thang. His momma and daddy probably never tried giving him any love or attention. So, now he resorts to KSR commenting to get it.
    Haha it’s obvious your insecurities are prevalent.

16. danny r
    11:03 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Bet he makes twice your salary if you even get a salary. Why are you dogging on someone who is just now starting their life off with a new job a soon to be wife and a new house? Get off ksr with your bull shit

17. Rita Mattingly
    11:08 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Gavin, ill pray for you!

18. Jeff Rentfle
    11:51 am May 29, 2014 Permalink

Hoes gon’ be hoes. So we can’t blame Gavin

19. John Rogers
    12:12 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Damnn Gavin you mean this kid in the picture is NOW a lawyer? Has a beautiful wife? Has an amazing home? You’re RIGHT! This guy does suck!
    He doesn’t even look 25 years old! Man!
    I sure hope my son doesn’t grow up to be like this guy!
    SIKE!
    People like Gavin kill me! I’m trying to enjoy KSR, not read about your little pitty party and hear you cry about this JAE4 guy.

Get off here with your bull shit!

20. Gavin Newsome
    1:33 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Only in Kentucky is an overweight chick considered attractive. Yeah, I looked this boy up on Facebook. LOL. Just so I understand, you all, or y’all are defending some kid who went to a bottom rung law school, failed the bar at least once, had mum and dad get him a job and a house, and somehow this is something to be admired and defended???? It is no wonder why this world is in the state it is today.

Long live mediocrity, gone are the days of making a man out of yourself with your own skills, intelligence, and labor.

21. John Rogers
    1:50 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Referring to his wife is disrespectful.
    His father paved the way for him. that’s a fathers job.
    But, damn can ya be happy for the man?

Note: it’s pathetic you looked him up on Facebook

22. gavin Newsome
    2:08 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

note: yawn

23. Gavin's Daddy
    7:28 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Gavin, You mean to say you were able to find all of this personal information out about this young man and his family dynamics by looking him up on Facebook? Wow man, your creeping skills are impeccable. Let us all note that his Facebook name is an alias at that. Just admit you know the guy personally and made yourself look completely jealous. No worries bro, we won’t hold it against ya.