UK congratulates Rick Pitino on the Hall of Fame

pitino

(via Eric Crawford)

The University of Kentucky took out an ad in the Hall of Fame Enshrinement program to congratulate its former head basketball coach, Rick Pitino, on his induction. The full page ad says, “Congratulations Rick Pitino on your induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on behalf of the Big Blue Nation.”

You ok with that, Big Blue Nation?

Article written by Drew Franklin

47 Comments for UK congratulates Rick Pitino on the Hall of Fame

1. red headed step child
    1:31 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

That shows more class than anything the Tards have ever done. Smart move UK.

2. Ridge Runner
    1:32 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

He is the enemy now but…

He helped us in the 90’s and brought us a title. This shows class by UK & yeah.. I’m ok with it.

3. Ridge Runner
    1:33 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

–and lets face it, we (UK/BBN) are one of the biggest reasons he’s getting enshrined.

4. 615 CAT
    1:34 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yep. More than happy where we are, but wish he would have stayed. Congrats.

5. Catman Do
    1:41 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

He hold the record for most blondes banged in a dump to eat also. He should get something for this also?

6. Karen
    1:45 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yeah,..I’m fine with it. Just as long as they don’t put the Tub in the rafters.

7. Vince Iamunno
    1:50 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Is he making his Porcini’s “O” face in that picture? I’m okay with it. It’s a vailed shot at Jurich since he would never think to do something like that.

8. We're The Monkeys
    1:57 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

What’s there not to be okay with? He brought us back to glory in the 90’s and deserves recognition. He’s admitted on several occasions he made a mistake leaving UK. We shouldn’t hate him due to what he’s done post-UK.

9. sterve
    1:57 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Give credit where it’s due. Did great things for UK. If BBN thinks it’s all fine and dandy for Cal welcoming a woman-beater to an alumni game, we should accept a great coach getting paid his due.

10. bluristhurr
    1:59 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Heck yea I like it, I don’t understand why people hate him so much at Louisville. I’d rather have him there winning a lot than somewhere else. Yea I like all the KY teams and you can eat it if you won’t root for a KY team going against anybody else

11. Dee W.
    2:02 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I suppose – after all, his tenure with the BBN is no small part of the success he has on his resume to get him into the hall of fame.

Remember the U of L trolls showing up and taunting us about how they are the only team with a coach who won an NCAA championship with two different teams apparently not thinking about (or even knowing) that the other half of the equation was UK.

12. NashBlue
    2:10 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yep. We helped him get there after all

13. Jack A
    2:11 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Coach John Calipari will never be considered for the Hall of Fame. Even with multiple titles at UK.

14. todd
    2:11 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Piss on that selfish self centered B***t**d……..Hope he gets a turd sandwich for Thanksgiving…..

15. jimlowe7
    2:12 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

OF COURSE we are OK with it…we still have class even though we feel betrayed by his move to UL. He also got to the Final Four at Providence (only coach to lead THREE teams to Final Four and WIN National Championships at TWO SCHOOLS). If he’s not qualified, WHO IS?

16. Begrudgingly, yes.

17. Tennessee Wildcat
    2:16 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yes I am happy with this. Pitino deserves the credit and did win one championship and had two other final fours as our coach in eight years.

18. Big Blew Football says
    2:16 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

The comments just reiterate that Kentucky Fans are the biggest collection of pee-brains in all of ‘Merica. Each comment dumber than the next. Go burn a couch.

19. AaronJ
    2:16 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m fine with it, guy was great while at Kentucky.

20. Arrogant Blue
    2:17 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I’ll always respect the great job he did during his time here……. But as a man, he showed the world in 15 seconds what those who knew him personally already knew. He’s trash and hypocrite.

In fact…..actually, I’m going to stop right there before I lower myself any closer to his level.

21. 8, it’s not just that he went to UL. It’s the fact that, as Matt has said, he has NEVER shown 1 iota of humility about anything. It started with him saying, RIGHT after he took the job, that he knows there are some small-minded people who wouldn’t like this.

He also never showed any humility when he committed adultery and murdered his baby that HE was half responsible for having made.

22. klassact32
    2:20 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Nope, he’s an ass and I wish the University would not acknowledge him. He has no values or morals and I for one will never be okay with him. I have this thing about disliking people who are supposed to be role models for young men.

23. Forgot to add: when he took the job, all he had to say was “I know some UK fans won’t like this, and I can understand that, but I have to do what’s best for me and my family at this time.” He would have saved himself a lot of criticism if he had said that.

24. The real onemaco
    2:21 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Hell yea move on guys,and leave the porchini’s thing alone(if u live in a glass house dont throw stones,Mike porter<)Hes a great coach the best weve had here in my lifetime the 90's were the best!!!an Tubby should be in the rafters!!Go Cats!!

25. Wes
    2:33 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m okay with that. He was a great coach while he was here and he put us back on the map. I still proud to say that I attended 3 years of the Rick Pitino Wildcat Basketball Camp. That camp taught me so much. I was in awe to be around coaches like Sendek and Donovan while I was there. It’s something that I will always remember.

26. UKBlue
    2:36 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

1. UK does it with class 2. Whether we like it or not, even through Rick is Rick, he did what we needed him to do & he did it. 3. After the Boston Massacre Rick really had no where else to go so he had to take the Little Brother Job to rebuild his rep. 4. No matter what, Rick won his 1st Championship at UK.

27. Wolfcreekbrian
    2:43 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, I’m ok with it. We are UK!

28. Lou Eaton
    2:45 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Got to give the guy his due. He brought UK back from some ugly times, won a title, made final fours, and has just won a NC. Not sure anyone else has been this successful at multiple schools. He can coach so why not acknowledge it as fact. Like some else said, I would rather have him winning than have PUKE or someone else winning….at least it is still in the state…my guess is that if we don’t win it all this year he may be in the hunt again.

29. We're The Monkeys
    3:05 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

21, I never mentioned UL in my comment. Also, I’m not sure why his small-minded comment is something to point at as a reason to dislike him. Was the comment the best PR statement? No, but he was (and is) 100% correct.

I am certainly right there with everyone making jokes about his personal indiscretions and think his moral compass is off, however I’m not one to think that his induction into the HOF has anything to do with his personal issues.

30. kybigblue
    3:08 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Plain an simple it shows class on UK’s part. Plus he has said he made a mistake leaving UK.

31. seriously
    3:09 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

My first two years at UK were under Eddie Sutton, my next two were under Pitino. If you can’t appreciate what happened here when Pitino took over you need to enlighten yourself and open your eyes. I’ll never root for UL, but having booed Coach Cal when Pitino was our coach, I can’t hate.

32. Alumni Drive
    3:15 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Not a big fan of Coach Pitino as a person, but he worked wonders with the UK program, which was a real mess when he took over. Recruited Mashburn, turned the Unforgettables into overachievers, took UK to two championship games and won one. Pretty good resume, and a class move for UK to acknowledge what he did.

33. 35YSTH
    3:19 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

UK did a lot more for Petino than Petino ever did for UK

34. Cats+Cal=victory
    3:36 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yes, Drew, I’m very OK with seeing Pitino in the Hall of Fame and seeing the class UK showed by giving him the credit he deserves. I am also happy to see more Class coming from most of the KSR fans than all of the Hatred spewed by others. Do I approve of everything Pitino has done? No, but it doesn’t take away all of the good he did for for UK. I didn’t like seeing him leave Kentucky, but don’t blame him for wanting to take his shot at the pros any more than I can for all of the great players now doing the same thing. Along the same lines, I’m glad to see Coach Cal standing up for his former players when they have made some mistakes that I am sure he doesn’t approve of. I hope he doesn’t get a lot of criticism for that.

35. 29, “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.”
    I disagree that a fan is small-minded just for not liking Pitino taking that job. Again, there would have been far fewer fans on his case about taking the job if he could have humbled himself (a VERY tall order for him to be sure) for once in his life and said what I suggested in #23.

As a Christian I avoid the Sypher jokes because they are not funny, especially when he made his baby pay for his sin with it’s life instead of taking responsibity for his actions himself like a real man would.

36. Judy
    3:51 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yes but let’s move on to the things that pertain to Kentucky in the present tense.

37. Oscar de la Combs
    3:52 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I hear that Cal gave Liggins an Xbox to replace his broken one

38. Bunny
    4:01 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

A classy move. Quick Rick resurrected our basketball program and is responsible for the 96 and 98 NCAA Championships. The BBN should be forever grateful. In addition to a great recruiter and motivator, Rick is a master of the Xs and Os. One of the top 10 if not top 5 college basketball coaches of all time…

39. NashvilleCatFan
    4:01 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

32 and 34. Well said and I agree. Envy our past and fear our future! Go cats!

40. KG
    4:29 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Congratulations to Coach Pitino. I still say he’s the best at studying film and finding ways to exploit your weakness. Too bad He’s a Tard.
    No way I’d ever trade them basketball coaches because our coach is a Hall of Famer unofficially

41. GoBigBlue
    4:49 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Simply put, we almost certainly wouldn’t be where we are without the job that he did here. And he almost certainly wouldn’t be inducted into the Hall of Fame without having coached Kentucky. You could even say that he wouldn’t be at Louisville without having been at Kentucky first. So I’m ok with it. Good class by UK with the ad.

42. Wildcatsteeler
    5:42 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m totally okay with it. He resurrected out basketball program and put us back on top.

43. satcheluk
    6:36 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Given that he was enshrined in the Hall of Shame first, which will dominate his legacy?

44. clint hardy
    6:46 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Yea it’s ok to congrats to Benedick Rick! He deserves it, a really good coach. Go Blue!!!!!!

45. whysoserious
    7:13 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Classy move by BBN….and mostly classy posts in this thread.

from a U of L fan.

46. come on
    9:54 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

No one will ever read this or if they do it doesn’t amount to much more than my venting.
    The pitino teams were exactly what this fan base needed.Fun to watch, super competitive and relentless. Pitino was a nonbelivable lover. Said all the right things in public with contradictory actions off stage.Some even disdain for the people that almost worshipped him. Every year the flirting with the NBA and nothing but coy equivical responses. Continuous self promotion, allowing his persona, not the players or the school to be the national disscussion.It was like having the highest priced, supposed to the very best steak that just didn’t chew well. I was glad and sad when he left, missed his teams but not him and the trappings. Had to eat hamburger for a while but I could taste it.

47. J Jones
    12:18 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

10 I agree with you I root for the state schools. I never thought of louisville as a rival until I started listening to matt jones. I always considered indiana and tennessee as rivals. Congrtulations to rick on his induction into the hof.