UK Choir sings “My Old Kentucky Home” at State Capitol

The University of Kentucky Men’s Choir stopped by the Capitol building in Frankfort this week to sing “My Old Kentucky Home” in the rotunda. Governor Beshear was one of about 20 people around to hear it. Thanks to Rob Haynes for filming it and sharing it with KSR.

It’s pretty awesome…

I love working at the State Capitol. Thanks to the University of Kentucky Men's Choir for the concert today. -with Liles Bennett Taylor Christin Miller Julie Garland-Stevenson

Posted by Rob Haynes on Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for UK Choir sings “My Old Kentucky Home” at State Capitol

1. jeff j
    5:55 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

please tell me the “Gov” . didn’t join in the chorus ………………

• JW
      9:56 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

As far as I know he did, in fact, sing with them. Apparently he cried at the end because it was so beautiful!

2. Rixter
    5:56 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

What does this possibly have to do with the U of L sex scandal?

• Suffering Fools
      6:29 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

It demonstrates the beauty and grandeur of the Commonwealth they have disgraced by doing these things within its borders.

• JW
      9:58 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

It has nothing to do with the Louisville sex scandal. Somethings in life don’t revolve around sports and thats okay. Maybe instead of going to another ball game, you should go to a choir concert or recital instead! You would love it!

3. rick
    6:58 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

sounds like crap…

• intheshadow
      7:45 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I totally agree Rick. I truly HATE IT when someone??? decides they want to keep the words to a beautiful song and then they TOTALLY change the music. Why not just sing the words to My Old Kentucky Home to the tune of Old McDonald Had A Farm…it would have sounded much better than what they did, which to me was very disrespectful!

• JW
      10:11 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Dear Rick-
      Please stop being an old critical Scrooge. The only things that are crap is yours and intheshadow’s comments. Please keep your uncultured, and frankly, ignorant opinions to yourself. Those men work their butts off are are some of the best singers/musicians in the state. And for you to come along and discredit their hard work is rude and disrespectful.

On behalf of everyone, please F off.

• JW
      10:15 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

And intheshadow, please keep your comments “in the shadow’s” with you. Your opinions and username are, in Rick’s terminonogy, crap.

• Otto
      12:32 pm October 23, 2015 Permalink

@intheshadow, I’m not sure if you and I listened to the same thing, because they did keep the tune of the song, they just added harmony. One guy literally the entire time sang the melody of My Old Kentucky Home except for the last few seconds. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, why take the time to make an ill-informed comment.

4. WestKYCATFan
    7:20 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

If you don’t get chills or a little misty then you’re not alive or not a Kentuckian. That was unreal!

• intheshadow
      7:49 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Are you a music major at UK, paid to leave your comment? Great lyrics and a beautiful song, that was totally destroyed with some off the shelf made up tune. If you can sing, then you should be able to sing the correct melody. THAT version of My Old Kentucky Home was unrecognizable.

• UK school of music grad
      8:12 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Intheshadow – do you know the song? Here’s another performance by the UK Men’s Choir of the same arrangement with a little less reverb. Recognize it now? It’s a pretty basic choral arrangement up until the ending, where it gets barbershop-ish. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKpRPjSHAM

• JW
      10:24 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

@intheshadow obviously it was recognizable, you aren’t leaving comments on a rendition Sweet Home Alabama? I don’t know what version of My old Kentucky home you are listening to, but there is a wonderful example a little up this page that you should listen to. Just to familiarize yourself with the song and how its supposed to be sung.

• Peggy
      2:19 pm October 23, 2015 Permalink

If you are really a true Kentuckian like I am (born in Frankfort), it is a beautiful song no matter what. Wish I was still there! But I agree, this recording was awesome!

5. Micah
    7:58 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

That was awesome. I don’t know what all the complaining is about. this is simply the choral version of the song. The reverb may have been a little much but they did an awesome job!

6. Dave Rust
    8:09 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Incredible. Stopped me and my wife and our tracks. Couldn’t find enough Kleenex. I don’t think I’ve ever heard A better rendition. God bless our state although I have lived in Indiana for 62 years.

7. BS
    9:01 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

That was great!! If they change the ending and make it like the regular song, then I would nominate these guys to sing at the UK-UL football game. And a number of games at Rupp!

• Suffering Fools
      12:38 pm October 23, 2015 Permalink

The ending was the best part! They still ended up in the normal place; just went there by way of a couple of surprise chords. It’s majestic.

8. Andrea
    9:15 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

This Kentucky girl in Georgia just got teary-eyed! At my wedding in August I brought down a friend from Kentucky to sing and had her sing “My Old Kentucky Home” acapella in the large sanctuary just before I walked down the aisle.I decided that I could not walk down the aisle here in Georgia without a tribute to the Commonwealth. It was perfect. Thank you for that beautiful rendition, KSR!

• DT in DC
      9:19 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I had it played on the piano before my wedding, too. It was the least I could do since I didn’t get married in the Great Commonwealth.

9. Winston
    12:56 am October 23, 2015 Permalink

If that didn’t get to you, check your pulse because you’re probably dead.

10. KyProud
    8:50 am October 23, 2015 Permalink

They should sing before UK football games. That was beautiful.

11. Sara
    12:02 pm October 23, 2015 Permalink

CHILLS. That was awesome. Just beautiful.

12. Ed
    12:46 pm October 23, 2015 Permalink

That made this fella down here in Alabama want to get right in the car and drive on up I-65 – beautiful and major chills!

13. Nc cat
    2:49 pm October 23, 2015 Permalink

Oh my gosh….so beautiful! I’ve been struggling, after 15 years of living in NC….should I go “home”……this helped me decide….KY here i come!