Udoka Azubuike commits to Kansas and that’s good news for us

Last night, Udoka Azubuike committed to Kansas, and while the 2016 big man was once a Kentucky target, the news is actually very good for the Cats. Why? Kansas now has two big men for 2016 in Azubuike and four-star power forward Mitchell Lightfood, which means they’re most likely out of the running for Marques Bolden.

The Jayhawks were considered the favorite for the 6’10” 254 lbs. Bolden until a month or so ago, when momentum began to swing in Kentucky’s favor. Duke is now Kentucky’s main competition for the 2016 big man, with the Cats holding a 48% edge in Bolden’s 247 Sports Crystal Ball. If you really want to peer into the Crystal Ball (sometimes not a very wise move), the last ten picks have been in Kentucky’s favor, including recruiting guru Jerry Meyer, who stuck by his prediction last night:

ESPN’s Jeff Borzello and staff of scouts also have Bolden going to Kentucky. Think Kentucky’s 2016 class is already too loaded for Bolden?

Ehhh, I think we can make some room.

17 Comments for Udoka Azubuike commits to Kansas and that’s good news for us

1. JTsaysHey
    10:59 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Damn, does KSR ever post any original content? I read this on a sea of blue now Mrs. Thompson post it as here.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      11:07 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

It’s called news. We all report it.

• jman3715
      11:07 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Yeah! Don’t they know that when something happens, after the first person reports it no one else is allowed to say anything.

• MiggityMike
      1:12 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

What’s sea of blue? *sarcasm*

2. jeffestep
    11:09 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Saw Azubuike play last year at the Peach Jam. Bragged to my buddy that UK was looking at him. He played so soft, we couldn’t understand how someone so big would play so weak. After about 10 minutes of talking about being shocked he played like a girl we noticed the guy next to us looking at us like he wants to murder us. Happened to be his dad…happy Friday.

3. nybrasky
    11:13 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I prefer my Azubuike’s ripped & athletic.

• MiggityMike
      1:13 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

Those Tarzan-looking ones can play like Jane too though.

4. Long Dong Silver
    11:23 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

That’s a strange looking kid.

• BobKYCats
      11:27 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

I was gonna say, I don’t want to be an ass, but that is one weird-looking kid.

5. Triple H
    11:40 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Rather than reporting about a fat kid from Florida, maybe you could drop a post about a kid from Green County setting a Class A State single game scoring record last night. Dom Compton – 48 points, 15 rebounds, 32-39 FT in win over Shelby Valley.

• Brutal Hustler
      11:55 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Because that’s not what is best for business

• kyle heavy
      12:35 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

That kid, alone, shot 39 free throws? Wow, that sounds like such an exciting game……

6. Willis Wolf Tattoo
    11:52 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

When is Bolden supposed to announce?

7. Cals Hoverboard
    1:12 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

Kinda reminds me of Dakari, except he can actually leave the ground when he jumps. Maybe a poor man’s Jahlil Okafor? We could use his big body to go with the super class coming in. Thumbs up on Bolden for me.

8. bbanks81
    2:22 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

I trust in Cal, but I still don’t know how we are going to have all these scholarships if some people (Ulis, Lee) return to make an historic run next year. Unless we push kids out the door, and take the scholarships from Hawk and Willis and put them on some type of “in state grant-academic scholly”. I have seen several posts about this on the rivals board, but this is going to be interesting. I am confident it will all work out somehow, even if we bring in Bolden too. Fingers crossed!

9. UKALLDAY1
    2:24 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

Hate to say it but there will be ANOTHER mass exudes, hopefully after another long tourney run. I suspect Tyler, Zay Briscoe, Skal and Murray to leave. Then Poythress is a senior so that is 5 people that will almost for sure be gone. So there will be plenty of room for Bolden and he might even start next year as he will be the only true center in the class. UK’s class is not to loaded, they can actually use a center with a nice back to the basket game complete with a fluid right and left jump hook.

10. Kinger4G
    3:49 pm January 29, 2016 Permalink

That turnaround in the lane harkens a young Karl Towns. Not bad…